Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-25-10, 02:11 PM  
horsemom2

Forgot to mention, during the worse of it, I massaged my feet with Arnica gel at night ($1.99 a tube at GNC) without which I may have risked wetting my bed because the pain was so severe during nocturnal bathroom visits.

Barb S
who is liking the Walkfit Platinum inserts so far but walking miles in Atlantic city will be their real test.
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10, 03:01 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Barb - Yes I remember painful nocturnal bathroom visits with acute PF! I kept my sandals with my othotics in them beside the bed and slipped my feet into them before taking a step. Arnica gel is a great idea!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10, 04:02 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Emily - Good luck with your recovery! It can be a long process, I know it was for me. The most important thing is to listen to your feet as they will tell you what they can and can't do. I am glad to hear he did something to ease your orthotics. There definitely is an adjustment period with them. Mine are hard too and when I first got them I thought "how can I possibly get used to these things!" But now I am never without them when I have to be on my feet a lot. I am running 2 -3 X a week and my feet feel fine.
Hi Yogapam,

Thanks for your support and I'm so glad to hear you're running agian! So you eventually got used to them? I have tried them for biking, which was fine, but for weight training they were definitely a no go. (although by now I've mostly nixed even the weight training, until it heals). That's sort of what the doctor promised, that I would over the span of time learn to love them and want to wear them every day. I've worn them nearly all day today and they seem fine...of course my feet are fluky like that, they might hurt tomorrow.

Emily
Old 06-25-10, 04:03 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Barb - Yes I remember painful nocturnal bathroom visits with acute PF! I kept my sandals with my othotics in them beside the bed and slipped my feet into them before taking a step. Arnica gel is a great idea!
OMG I definitely don't have this problem. I'm so sorry to hear about your painful experiences. My left foot feels a general achiness at all times and a more acute pain at some times (but usually at random times like laying in bed or sitting at my desk) but I don't seem to have the nighttime problem as much.
Old 06-25-10, 04:08 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
I used to get it on and off, even when I wore orthotics. Then I learned that orthotics only keep your feet the way they are. Good Feet arch supports actually retrain your arches and help with balance. I think some sports teams use them. They were something like $150/pr (this was about ten years ago) and I got a black pair and a white pair so I could wear them with sandals of any color. I haven't had a problem since and I also rarely have lower back problems any more either, and I have mild scoliosis. My chiro recommends them to all her patients. Best money I ever spent. They are hard plastic so last forever.

However, it's important to get someone who knows how to fit you properly. It took me 45 min. before the salesperson was satisfied. She would have me stand on one pair then try to knock me off balance. Sometimes just by slipping a business card under one foot would knock me off center. Eventually with the right pair, I was able to stand firmly but quite easily no matter how she shoved me. Now, this wasn't violent pushing and shoving but enough to see the difference. I found the whole experience rather fascinating.

http://goodfeet.com/
Hey Videofit,

Thanks so much for the info and what a great experience you had! It's really too bad there's not a Good Feet by me (and I'm in the large DC area, I'm pretty surprised). I certainly wouldn't mind paying the $$ if they were just the right thing.
Old 06-25-10, 09:49 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Another opinion on Good Feet

I thought the Good Feet store's orthotics were way overpriced (they're now $295/pr) and no more effective than ProArch or ArchMates.

As a matter of fact, the new Scholl's "footmapping" displays in CVS stores & other drugstores run $49.95/pr and look very similar to some of the softer custom Good Feet orthotics.

If you're going to spend $300 on orthotic insoles, go to your podiatrist and pay $400 for the custom orthotics that are typically made by PedAlign or Integrity Orthotics.

This online Orthotics vendor sells tons of orthotic inserts in every price range. Might be worth asking your podiatrist about them.

Also do not underestimate the power of properly-fitted athletic shoes. I have always worn cushioned shoes for high arches and was very surprised when my doctor told me I overpronate ("rotational foot") and have low arches and should be wearing stability shoes!

Tags
foot injury, foot pain, heel pain, orthotics, plantar fasciitis