Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-23, 07:28 AM  
Rhonda

HITS
MOSSA on demand - I like the instructors and the programs.

I continue to use KCM RAW and Peloton.

MISSES
Body Groove on Demand - thought I would use it more but don't but someone got it when the lifetime pass was on sale so I have it forever. Guess I will use it at some point

BODi - didn't renew when subscription was up. Not many programs on there that interest me.

Cathe on Demand - I subscribed to check out the new DVDs and catch up on Lives that I haven't done. But in reality I haven't used it much at all.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-23, 09:54 AM  
owltx

Always love reading these!

Hits
Cathe's STS 2.0 - like many I really likes this set, once I figured out a tweaked rotation that fits better with my scheduled. Upper and Lower 1 & 2 are just freaking awesome, IMHO

Rebounder! - purchased my Jump Sport about this time last year and love it. Jump & Jacked on YT (another hit) has been perfect for me to fit 15-20 minutes of bouncing here and there

KCM Raw - I tried this out for several months and really enjoyed the workouts. Especially some of the olympic lifting/boxing circuits. It wouldn't be something I would do all the time, and I do like her DVDs better (worth it to me to pay more for better sound quality, pre-mixes and polish), but I will definitely be picking this up again.

My Cathe Live Downloads -These are such a great bargain during her Black Friday sale. I download them on my iPad and they have been great for travel. I have several favorites I have done so much they are "pennies per view" now.

Misses
Jessica Smith Strong and Centered - I don't know why, I *adore* Jessica and most of her workouts. I was pleased to see her try a different shift with weights, but these just did not click with me.
Old 11-16-23, 10:20 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by owltx View Post
KCM Raw - I tried this out for several months and really enjoyed the workouts. Especially some of the olympic lifting/boxing circuits.
Is this strictly her app, or do some of her recent RAW DVDs have Olympic lifting?

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-23, 01:50 PM  
furmomof6

Hits
Lucy Wyndham Read!! I somehow just "discovered" her Youtube channel this year. I love the short and simple style of her workouts. She is ZERO dread for me!

Misses
Jessica Smith's AAP

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-23, 03:04 PM  
warriorprincess

Definitely STS 2.0 for me. Especially the Uppers, Lowers, Body Parts, and Total Stretch

Favorite free find this year is Yelena's Ballet For All channel. She has so many routines that I look totally goofy attempting, and I'm okay with that.

I bought a lot of stuff this year :-)

I like the Dip bars, but I use them more often as a barre than for dips. They have a certain dread factor for dips because of the shoulder injury. I can't really judge these until the shoulder heals.

Love the step mat. Where have you been all my life?

The partial weight plates are great for little increases. But they don't fit my smaller thicker weights well.

Weighted gloves work well as long as I only put the thumb through and leave the fingers open for gripping. This makes them quicker to put on also. Good alternative to use with my smaller dumbbells.

Cathe's Red tubing. Works way better than what I've been using, shorter, and I don't have to move handles around.

35 lb dumbbells. Because they make me feel like a BEAST!

Misses would be Cathe's boxing gloves. Not that I used them much with this persistent shoulder injury, but they seem a bit sweaty with what little I've used them.

Another miss is Cathe's balance disk. I have yet to see her use it, so it just sits in the corner waiting.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-23, 03:15 PM  
AnMrsDe

'23 Hits/Misses

I may have a few more as the year ends, but for now, I have a few hits/misses:

HITS: New to me this year:

STS 2.0!!! My favorite weight program of Cathe's to date!! I'm still doing the workouts - this time including the XTrain weight workouts too. I don't ever remember wanting to go back to doing the workouts so soon after the original rotation was over!! Love the weight work and the standing abs workouts...not so much the mobility and stretches.

Julia Reppel (YT) Her mobility workouts are excellent - some are easier and less sweaty than others but most are very short and she has made it super easy for my accountability to add in recovery days.

20# Barbell Plates (from Amazon) These are much thinner than Cathe's (2) 10# plates and therefore, take up less room on my Les Mills barbell so I can add more plates if needed.
https://www.amazon.com/Yes4All-Stand...92&sr=8-5&th=1

My Weider Machine I've had this for years, but recently started using it more for pull-down finishers (up to 69#) and my new discovery - using it to stabilize Cathe's tubing for the STS 2.0 workouts. There are high/medium/low places to wrap around for sturdiness. Takes much less time than fiddling with the changing of the placements using the door anchor and is also secure.

Maxx MMA Adjustable Weighted Gloves 2# set (from Amazon) Love them! Great fit for my small hands and so cute - I got the black/neon green. https://www.amazon.com/MaxxMMA-Adjus...1zcF9hdGY&th=1

MISSES:

Cathe's door anchor - once I discovered my Weider machine with less set-up time for the same purpose, I don't use it. It worked fine, though, when I did use it but would always require me to pause the workout while getting the tubing in place. I just discovered a quicker way to get set up.

Yoga classes that include an excessive amount of forward bends and triangle pose, mostly. Omitting these (and Deadlifts) this year, my lower back issues disappeared. Coincidence? Maybe, but now I don't want to pull out Travis' stuff any longer and I love Travis! I realize they can always be modified, but he does include an excessive amount in each class! For D/L's, I usually do weighted bridges with my 40# DB.

Last edited by AnMrsDe; 12-06-23 at 06:47 PM. Reason: added link; add'l items; add'l thoughts!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-23, 05:35 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
Weighted gloves work well as long as I only put the thumb through and leave the fingers open for gripping. This makes them quicker to put on also. Good alternative to use with my smaller dumbbells.
I'll have to try this! Sometimes a 5 pound jump is too much and my 2 lb gloves would help bridge that gap! I usually put my gloves on completely, but only using the thumb hole and leaving fingers free for gripping is brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
35 lb dumbbells. Because they make me feel like a BEAST!
I got my 35 pound dumbbells this past year and I'm already considering 40 pound dumbbells. I've really increased my weights this year by using Jasper MacDermot and Caroline Girvan programs on YT.
Old 11-16-23, 06:03 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnMrsDe View Post

20# Barbell Plates (from Amazon) These are much thinner than Cathe's (2) 10# plates and therefore, take up less room on my Les Mills barbell so I can add more plates if needed.
If you don't mind me asking, what brand 20lb plates did you get from amazon and how are they holding up?
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-23, 07:00 PM  
Jules

HITS:

STS 2.0 (I like the original STS more, but this set has less dread factor.)

Cathe Live

Caroline Girvan's Epic Endgame and Iron on YouTube

Travis Eliot's Sleep Well yin yoga series. (I also tried Yoga 45 for 45 but didn't fall in love with it like Sleep Well.)

Les Mills on Demand - BodyCombat, BodyPump and The Trip

Virtual Active guided bike rides

Hiking and Skiing

MISSES:

I didn't really experiment much so I can't say that I hated anything. I still have about 25 virgin workouts sitting in a box that I need to try.
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-23, 08:37 AM  
owltx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
Is this strictly her app, or do some of her recent RAW DVDs have Olympic lifting?
This was strictly her app. As far as I know, she does have one DVD that does Olympic Lifting (LIFT), but doesn't do the boxing circuits I am talking about.

Tags
best of, hits and misses, lift with cee, paula begoun, worst of