Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-20, 12:57 PM  
JustSandra

Barefoot & On the Mat 3/8-14: Worm Moon(??) Edition!

Greetings and welcome to the weekly Barefoot & On The Mat check-in thread! This is a long-running VF check-in. We're a cozy, friendly group who enjoy a wide variety of workouts, but we have a special fondness for those traditionally done without shoes. If you enjoy yoga, pilates, barre, qi gong, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Ellen Barrett, etc. (or even if you simply prefer doing traditional workouts without shoes!) you'll feel right at home.

Please feel free to join in. We love hearing from new, returning and guest Mat Mavens. Our welcome mat is always out!

Back in a moment....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-20, 01:08 PM  
JustSandra

Hi again!

This week's full moon is known as the Worm Moon. Who knew?

Sorry to report I did pretty much nothing last week except for step counting and a couple sessions of shoulder rehab exercises. Luckily the right shoulder impingement that was so excruciating a week ago has almost completely subsided, although the joint still feels a bit twingey. However, once again it is a fresh week, and almost anything I do workout-wise is going to be an improvement!

Thinking of our Paine and hoping she and her family had a safe trip to their new home in California!

Cyana: You asked last week how Super Tuesday went at my library branch, where we hosted a voting center. It was crazy but everyone, both patrons and staff, was in good spirits. For a couple hours I helped out a drive-through ballot drop-off we set up in our parking lot. Drivers could hand us their signed and sealed ballot envelopes out their car window without having to negotiate a parking place and coming inside to drop them off. They were very thankful! Everyone set aside political differences to appreciate and participate in the civic voting process, which was heartening to see.

Waving to all -- be back later with, well, something!

Old 03-08-20, 02:24 PM  
cyana

Sandra - I wasn't familiar with the Worm Moon. Of course, my first visual was looking at a moon with holes like Swiss cheese!! However, I decided I'd check for some facts before my imagination spiraled out of control. Here's a link: http://fullmoonphases.com/worm-moon/ . What a great idea to have the drive through for dropping off ballots, and a bonus that everyone worked together to make it happen. Sadly, my state isn't user friendly at all when it comes to voting access. A happy voting story I may have shared in the past - probably 10 years ago I had to fly out on a business trip on election day, so I made sure I was standing at the polling place when it opened. Unfortunately so were at least a dozen other people. We stood around and chatted while we were waiting for the doors to open and once they found out I had to rush to the airport to make a flight, they let me go first.

I'm not sure where this day has gone - the cat and I slept late and I had a laundry list of stuff to do once I got up. I'll be back later with something productive to report.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-20, 03:06 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I feel like I kind of dropped off the checkin last week--it was a busy last few days, although not so much workout-wise! Friday was my first exercise off day of 2020 (in part because of recurring migraine).

Sandra, so glad to hear your shoulder has improved! I think the rehab is way more important than more formal exercise.

cyana, sounds like DST confused the cat, too.

Here was my week:

Monday
Power Yoga for Happiness 2 - Twisted Sister

Tuesday
Grilley Yin Yoga - Infant Series
Ekhart 7 Daily Yoga Practices - Relaxation

Wednesday
30MTF Your Best Body - Workout #1
Ekhart Yoga Online (free offerings) - Stress-Busting Yoga (@20m)
Ekhart Yoga (YT) - Short Yoga Nidra with James Reeves

Thursday
TAUGHT yoga at college, yoga at studio
Yoga for Energy & Stress Relief - Restore & Rejuvenate

Friday
OFF

Saturday
Mind, Body, & Brew yoga class w/Sarah

Sunday
30MTF Build & Burn - Kickbox only premix; Legs Mix #1
Ekhart Yoga Online (free offerings) - Free Your Joints

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-20, 06:32 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Today I went for a neighborhood walk. We are moved! Ah, there are flowers blooming here, lots of sunshine, green grass and I'm comfortable outside without any jacket on. No snow and no sub-zero temperatures! Yesterday I went to Whole Wallet (I love Cyana's term for Whole Foods, LOL). When I saw how beautiful the organic zucchini was, tears came to my eyes! I love the fresh produce available in this area!

Sandra, thank you for wishing me good luck. This move has been really stressful for me but I'm happy to finally get moved! As always, thank you so much for starting our week for us! I appreciate your presence in our group.
I wish I could take your niece's sound bath yoga workshop.

Beth, thanks for the Ekhart yoga free classes. I signed up for it.

Anny, congratulations on finishing the YWA 30 Day Home Challenge!
Oh my gosh, I can't imagine moving every 5 years or sooner! You are AMAZING to be able to do that! Thank you for thinking about me.

Garrie, your DC Mania event sounds like you had so much fun! What an enriching experience. Thank you for sharing your wonderful detailed review of the event. How nice that you had the class with your hero, Keli Roberts. I'm looking forward to your thoughts about the 2 barre DVDs you bought.
I appreciate the hugs, thank you!

Carolyn, I'm sorry your DH was sick, poor guy. I'm glad he is feeling better.
Yeah, I have a lot of work ahead of me getting settled and doing more organizing here.

Cyana, a few days ago we had a moose laying in our flowerbed next to our front door! No more moose or moose "presents".
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-20, 07:28 PM  
JustSandra

Hello once more!

Today's Workout: I did the Shoulder routine from Total Body Solutions.

Paine: Glad you made it to SoCal safe and sound! I'm sure you are having fun exploring your new neighborhood. You will have to see if there are any nearby farmers markets where you live.

Cyana: Thanks for the link re the moon names. I think I prefer Crow Moon to Worm Moon!

Beth: My niece recently talked to me about how so many opportunities are opening up for her. Next week she is teaching a donation-based meditation class. She is applying to teach yoga to women who have been through emotional and physical abuse. She may also have an opportunity to conduct yoga teacher training! It is so exciting to see her bloom.

Waving to all!

Old 03-08-20, 07:56 PM  
cyana

Today:
FitPrime Lean - I did this as a salute to Garrie's DC Mania trip since Keli Roberts teaches this one. I must admit, the almost five weeks on reduced work-outs definitely impacted my strength. Must lift more weights now that the barnacle is off my finger!!
MFML - Chanting: Get to the Heart of Yoga - Naomi Absolom. This was a lovely chant - Shri Krishna Govinda Hare Murari, Hey Nath Narayana Vasudevaa (I noticed each reference I checked has this translated slightly differently, so if you look it up, the spellings may be somewhat different). Not sure what it is with chanting, but the cat will always come and get in my face like he's trying to understand the words.

Paine - You're back!! I'm glad you made it safely and were welcomed by lovely weather and fresh zucchini. Yikes, I didn't think about moose presents, but I would imagine those are not inconsequential findings.

Beth - Yuck on the migraine. I'm hoping I can get to sleep early tonight and hopefully get myself flipped over to the new time. Today definitely got away from me!

Sandra - That's really exciting news for your niece. I hope promising opportunities continue to come her way.

Hope everyone's week gets off to a good start!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-20, 08:17 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra that is exciting about your niece!

cyana, I notice strength decreases when I have been taken easier too. This day got away from me as well!

Paine, so glad to hear you are getting settled in! You sound so positive; I'm sure being done with the move is a huge relief.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 03:01 PM  
Anny

Paine welcome back! I am so glad you are feeling happy with the move and the area sounds just beautiful. Hopefully moving stress will be behind you.

Sandra thank you for starting us off for the week. I also had never heard of worm moon. And it is exciting to hear about opportunities opening up for your niece, especially in working with women who have experienced trauma.

cyana that is such a lovely boring story! I find that strength is easy to build back up, especially given muscle memory.

Beth I am sorry to hear about the recurring migraine.

Yesterday I did another older Leslie S. workout - Four Really Big Miles. It was fun to revisit the old cast! Today I plan on doing yoga after work, probably YWA Dedicate Day 3.
Old 03-09-20, 06:57 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

This morning I walked 2 miles. It was 70 degrees F today! Just perfect weather here, sunny and bright.

Anny, I'm out of sink here because all of my routines and habits have been disrupted. I'm still learning where I put things (I forget where things are) so I think it will be helpful for me to get settled when I establish new habits/routines here.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote