Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-11, 09:37 AM  
Mollyqr

Plantar Faciitis anyone?

Hey there, I am new in posting but not to VF, I have lurked here for years...

I figure this is a good place to ask so who of you has dealt with Plantar Faciitis?

I have a bad case of it now that has lasted six months or more... I did break down finally and go to the doctor and have been taking anti inflammatory for a month and stretching and icing... but I can't wear the night splint he gave me more than an hour or two... it appears to make it worse and makes my ankle really sore. I have improved some, and I know it will be a slow process.

Those of you that have had it, what worked best for you?

thanks!
Mollyqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 09:39 AM  
shoegoddess

http://heelspurs.com/index.html

this site helped me when I had a 2 year bout with PF.
I stretch my foot after every work out and if I feel it coming back I wear tennis shoes with over the counter supports instead of heels or flats. But stretch stretch, stretch helps me alot.

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 09:44 AM  
Missiscipi

Mine went away but im not sure what helped exactly - around the time I went away these things happened-
I lost 100lbs
start going to a chiropractor
bought Sketchers Shape Ups shoes
I had it for over 3 years and had to stop working out completely during that time...I could only do weight work sitting and even then that frustrated me so I just stopped.
I am hoping you get better soon!
Missiscipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 09:51 AM  
Vee

I had plantar fasciitis for more than three years. The pain was intense for about six months until I learned to manage it.

What helped:
- Cutting out impact entirely for a while and then bringing it back into my routine very slowly.
- Icing after workouts and applying hot packs before going to bed.
- Stretching religiously every day. I would do a runners stretch as soon as i got out of bed in the morning. Then, I would do stretches after my workouts. More than my PT exercises, doing down dog and malasana variations in yoga that my yoga teacher taught me for PF seemed more effective.
- Changing shoes by trial and error for workouts until I found something that worked.
- Eliminating bare foot walking - I never wore slippers at home until my PF.

As the pain got better I got lazy about icing and the heat packs and did fewer stretches, but I did not eliminate stretches entirely until one day I realized I had been pain free for several weeks!

Good luck.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 09:53 AM  
Mollyqr

Thanks Rozy!

I am losing weight, so hopefully that will help.. I can do kettlebells without it bothering it too bad... I am a couple of weeks into a Skogg rotation...

but I can't climb stairs or walk around much... so, that has hindered my weightloss more than I like.
Old 07-21-11, 09:57 AM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

My husband has bouts of PF on and off and he says the things that help him the most (besides stretching regularly) are ice massage with a frozen water bottle, rolling the bottom of his foot on a golf ball, and wearing the right shoes. When it's really flared up he cuts down on the amount of running and walking her does and focuses more on cycling.
Old 07-21-11, 10:00 AM  
Vee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta S. View Post
My husband has bouts of PF on and off and he says the things that help him the most (besides stretching regularly) are ice massage with a frozen water bottle, rolling the bottom of his foot on a golf ball, and wearing the right shoes. When it's really flared up he cuts down on the amount of running and walking her does and focuses more on cycling.
Ah yes! How could I forget! I kept tennis balls at my office, and I would take off my foot wear at my desk and roll them under the bottoms of my feet. Sweet relief!
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 10:09 AM  
Amazon

I had flareups off and on for years and tried icing and anti-inflammatories to no avail.

It wasn't until I started working out barefoot (all cardio, step, HIIT, plyo, all weights, all everything) that it went away.
Amazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 10:15 AM  
Stephanie_B

I've had it off and on for years, but this last bout was horrible. I went to physical therapy and the stretches (similar to what others have linked to) have helped, but I even resorted to a cortisone shot. That ended up rupturing the fascia and making things WAY worse and the same thing happened to my mom with her plantar fasciitis, so I think it must be something in our genes.

Anyway I remember someone at VF linking me to Jill Miller's free yoga tune up 5 minute dealio around January or so and I went...downloaded and could NOT do any of it so blew it off. A few months later after physical therapy and stretching, the pain was I'd say 40-50% better, I could do the stretches VERY MINIMALLY, but my pain was probably 70% better after that IMMEDIATELY. So I bought her Lower Body Rx thing from Mary as well as the balls.

I won't say that I'm 100% with it, but if I am consistent and do the stretches, but specifically the ball rolling (tennis balls are too big for me for some reason and my wooden foot thing didn't do jack) helps. If I skip a day I feel it, but if I skip 2 days I'm back to where I was as far as pain..bad. It's 5-10 minutes and I can do it obviously without the video now.

Icing helps me DURING the icing, but after there is no pain relief. My physical therapists, podiatrist and orthopedists all said "it depends on the person" so that makes sense..and the same with heat (which I never tried).

Also good shoes, I love my Danskos and when I'm not in those good insoles, which for me are Spencos.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 10:20 AM  
Mollyqr

I have been surprised at how many people I have met that have had PF or have it now... and it looks like its going to be the same here at VF... thanks so much for all the replies!

I had never heard of it until I got it for some reason... but now, everyday, I talk to someone that has had it or has it ongoing...

I haven't resorted to shots yet, but I have considered it.

Tags
foot cramps, foot pain, plantar fasciitis