Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-20, 06:24 PM  
cecififi

My grandmother on my father's side was always misery guts too. I remember when I was about 18 yrs old and hadn't see her in about 7 years. She was over in Canada, visiting from Scotland. When I drove all the way down to see her (she was in another city) and walked in the door and said hello, all she said back was "ye should have yur arse skelped" - that certainly set the tone.

My children's grandmother is eastern european and gives all sorts of advice like:
you should always know how to wash your panties (in case of depression, war, the russians move in etc)

if you buy cheap - you buy twice

if you have any trouble with the man don't bother him, just tell me

she once said to me "my dear, I am so sorry to tell you this but by the way your hold your fork - your class - it's showing"

She has so many doozies but what a cook!
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-20, 06:43 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

I am loving these!

I can't think of a single quotable thing either of my grandmothers said, but I loved them both dearly. Even as a child I was grateful that both lived nearby and I saw them regularly. My memories aren't so much what they said but all the things we did together.

Keep 'em coming!
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-20, 07:54 PM  
Daffie

Neither of my grandmothers cared enough to give me any attention. I do remember a few gifts I got from each of them but hugs and love would’ve been nice too. I’m not as scarred or bitter as I sound. I have a lot of wonderful loving women in my life!
Daffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-20, 01:42 AM  
Sand

I also remember when I was a teen, my grandmother would tell me "Never leave the house without wearing perfume and lipstick!" I will admit that both do make me feel more put together.

I really am blessed to have known both of my grandmothers as they never knew their mothers, both passed away when they were babies. For not having known mothering from their mothers, they both did the best they could with the resources they had!
Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-20, 07:03 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

My grandmother was a dear, and a very religious woman, but when she would get frustrated with politicians (or anyone else) she would say "I'd like to pinch his ole head off".

Another comment of hers that I find myself using more and more these days "Things are going to hell in a handbasket".

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-20, 07:11 AM  
owltx

These have been so much fun to read!

One of my favorites: A house just isn't a home without a kitty. As you can tell from my avatar, I am also a cat a lover.
Old 03-23-20, 08:20 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I loved my grandma (on my mother's side) and she loved me. I was the eldest of her grandchildren, and she was my rock and my refuge. She had a heart of gold but could be very tough and discipline me sternly as needed - even if she cried doing so at the same time as I did. She went through WWII in Europe and these were tough times. She had tons and tons of "grandma" quotes and while I can translate them, they usually lose something in translation. Grandma's quotes rhymed and these are hard to translate so they make sense. There was a lot of wisdom in what she used to tell me and I think of her often.

I know very little of my grandmother on my father's side. All I know is that she thought my father married beneath him socially, and we had very little contact although my grandfather (her husband) was a beautiful soul who secretly (and from the distance) kept an eye on me when I was a child. Sad, but on the rare occasions we've met, I remember him as a sweet old man.
Old 03-23-20, 08:51 AM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

I only knew my paternal Grandmother and met her once on a few weeks trip to Germany when I was thirteen years old. What a Grandmother she was! Hugs and kisses and unlimited listening. Cakes were baked for me daily and marzipan treats galore left by my bedside just in case I woke up during the night hungry.
I was taken for horse riding lessons and on shopping trips to the city. Oma also hand made me a red mini dress to take back home to Australia which my father did not approve of. Oma told him he was too old fashioned.
Oma’s dog, a poodle, sat at the table on a chair with a bib on and was fed that way. I think I was both shocked and amused.
I wouldn’t say this was a best quote but the only one I heard her say was when some friends of hers came by and one of them was whining about something I didn’t quite understand then Oma nudged me and said quietly “the squeakiest door gets the most oil”
I realise Oma tried to cram in as much love as she could in our short time together but that one visit taught me how to be a Grandmother. Loads of love!
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-20, 09:43 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

When my maternal grandmother (born in 1904) was watching TV and saw a woman with skimpy clothing, she'd say:

I can see the fringe on her centerpiece.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-20, 11:47 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
When my maternal grandmother (born in 1904) was watching TV and saw a woman with skimpy clothing, she'd say:

I can see the fringe on her centerpiece.
Gotta love grandmas!