Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-19, 11:12 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
I get softer and less defined which I don't like. But more rest days could be a way to do this without changing the workouts too much.
This!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-19, 11:15 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
I get softer and less defined which I don't like. But more rest days could be a way to do this without changing the workouts too much.
I agree with this! Well, not rest days necessarily, but increasing intensity while decreasing length of workouts helped me. Instead of working out 60-90 minutes a day at lower intensity, I work out 45 minutes at a pretty high intensity and that seems to work. I feel like I'm getting much more out of that 45 minutes!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-19, 12:11 PM  
Cowgirl32

Yes and no. For me it's varying intensities- so, I'll tackle a hard rotation(for me) for 4-6 weeks. And take a lower intensity week. I respond much better to a high intensity cycle. So, basically periodization works really well for me.

But if I don't keep the intensity high, I lose fitness and get softer.
Old 07-31-19, 03:29 PM  
ellaenchanted

I get the best results from mostly high-intermediate workouts. I throw in some harder ones here and there as well as easier ones. There is a point of diminishing returns and really tough workouts all the time don't make me any stronger or faster.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-19, 09:04 PM  
ncl

If I decrease intensity, I feel less fit, have less endurance, get softer and a bit bigger, more tired, but have less chance of injury as well.

I was an intensity junkie and got injured a couple of times and each of these times the recovery was not simple, sooo, I dialed it back. Now I am not injured and would like to up my intensity again for better results.

I feel heavier and more tired and more easily out of breath now which I don't like. So I am going to try to skate the middle, doing higher intensity workouts when i feel like I can and dialing back on some days if I am more tired or too sore. I do love intensity and it makes me feel better to have some. BUT i would like to avoid injuries, so I think it is all about pushing but not pushing TOO hard.

When I was an intensity junkie, I had not yet learned to pay attention to my body. This was a valuable lesson learned. We'll see how it goes!
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lower intensity workouts, yoga only