Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-15, 09:52 AM  
Lizzo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Lizzo, renegade rows while in plank hurt the palms of my hands! I think it's gripping the dumbbells that does it. Maybe I put too much weight in my hands?
Ah yes, you reminded me of the other reason I hate renegade rows: palm pain. I've heard tips about padding the weight, such as wrapping a towel around them helps. Nonetheless, I still have to do them on my knees or just do bent over rows as a substitute when they show up in my workouts.

http://musingsofafitnessjunkie.blogspot.com
Lizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-15, 09:52 AM  
54sneakers
VF Supporter

C curve ab work...I can feel my back starting to hurt just typing it!
54sneakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-15, 10:12 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

upright rows
triceps dips
push ups (if I do too many)
static lunges (causes arch pain in the back foot)
Old 09-22-15, 10:32 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Lizzo, renegade rows while in plank hurt the palms of my hands! I think it's gripping the dumbbells that does it. Maybe I put too much weight in my hands?
I don't know if I can explain this very well, but when I do these I make sure my knuckles are hitting the floor on the bottom side of the dumbbell. That takes the pressure off my palms. To be able to do this, the grip of the dumbbell has to be fatter so that your knuckles are able to hit the floor when gripping the bell and holding onto it in plank position. Does that make sense?
Old 09-22-15, 10:33 AM  
desie

I almost never do Chaturanga Dandasana, or “Four Limbed Staff Pose” from my toes. I drop to my knees to make it a nearly-non-weight-bearing pose.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-15, 03:37 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
Box Jumps!

There are so many reasons to dislike this move. The main one is that it's dangerous. If you miss the step, you'll fall backwards and break something (not that I would know anything about that...). If you miss you could also fall forward and crash into the mirror that's in front of you. I've seen that happen at my gym.
I used to do box jumps when I was doing Crossfit. One day I landed the jump and kept going..down to the floor. I didn't hurt myself but it spooked me so every time the workout included box jumps I would put the box right in front of a wall so if I started to pitch forward I wouldn't fall forward off the box. I just used my hands to prevent smacking my head against the wall.

That being said after I quit Crossfit one of my FB friends still doing CF broke her foot doing box jumps.

Your clip reminded me of Steve Cotter's pistol box jump which is totally amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmzRysSj2T4

Also one of the calculus teachers at our high school is famous for his desk jumps. Be sure to watch to the end for the music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhxkTQOFtbg
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-15, 07:19 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54sneakers View Post
C curve ab work...I can feel my back starting to hurt just typing it!
+
pelvic tilts
knee dancing - like they do in P57 or Callanetics
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-15, 08:46 PM  
thelmaloo

Deadlifts ( I am hurting from a set as I type !!!), kicking to the back ( hurts !), ANYTHING on one leg or any kind of annoying balancing move ! ( i will fall), burpees ( jarring and I am very slow), supermans ( my chest will not rise !) running and jumping jacks. ( although I sometimes do latter two on rebounder ) It seems like every kickboxing workout video i have seen has jumping jacks ...why ? That is why I love and do KCMs TLC.( It has no impact.)
thelmaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-15, 10:35 PM  
bfit

Dead lifts and front lunges. I injured my sacroiliac joint several years ago doing a version of deadlifts where one foot is in front of the other instead of feet together. I haven't done a deadlift since! Front lunges I can do if they are small, but otherwise it hurts my knees.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-15, 11:07 PM  
fatkat555

I have to be careful with any weighted shoulder work. I modify now when they do upright rows. Also, in Power Yoga dvds I have to be VERY careful. All those glenohumeral glides (body weight) eventually fatigue my shoulder to where it feels like it wants to pop out of joint. I've learned to modify and be extremely mindful of what is happening in these moves with my shoulder.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote