Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-22-11, 10:55 AM  
Sophie

I'm slightly surprised for a different reason - I'm from the era of 80's and 90's aerobic and step classes with lots of whooping from the instructors and participants. I refrained from whooping along, but more or less accepted that it was going to happen

I haven't been to an aerobics class in ages till Zumba recently, and the instructor actively invites whooping! I was a bit taken aback (and exchanged worried glances with the women in my row) but hey, eventually everyone warmed up to it.

I don't think I'd do it anywhere else, though.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 10:58 AM  
Indy

I have do sometimes "whoop" in the privacy of my home - and I make sure husband is not there to hear. I would never do this at a gym.

The step portion of "Push" with Kari Anderson has a background exerciser who continues to "whoop" and I want to wrestle her to the floor and force feed her lard - that would shut her up.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 02:49 PM  
htimpaired

There is a whooper in my step class, but she pulled her knee so she hasn't been there recently.
I was in one spin class where there was a whooper. I haven't returned to that class.

There is an aerobics studio in the mall (yes, the mall) and the doors are wiiiide open, I think to try to entice people to join. They have a screen so you can't see the class, but boy can you hear them and they ALL whoop during Zumba. My husband walks by every time and laughs. They sound like a bunch of howler monkies.
htimpaired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 12:54 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Oh man, that would be a deal breaker for me. A spontaneous whoop here or there is OK, but in excess I don't think I could handle it. I also hate it when there are moaners or excessively loud breathers in yoga class.
Old 07-23-11, 01:10 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Is it a "Cedie in Cathe's Bootcamp" type whooping? I'd be yelling at her (in my head, probably) to put a sock in it.

One of the reasons I work out at home!

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-11, 07:06 AM  
gigi

There is a lady in my most of my classes who does this low whooping noise and what makes me crazy is I can't figure out who it is!
Old 07-24-11, 12:21 PM  
DachsieDogMom

I would find that annoying. I was recently at a casual social meeting and some one kept doing something similar. She was the only one yelling out cheers.
DachsieDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 12:56 AM  
tigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
I must admit, I'm sort of shocked by this thread. Being a confirmed at-home exerciser, I had NO idea people actually whooped during group classes. I thought that was some nonsense invented by Kathy Smith and Crunch background exercisers. It may sound extreme, but I think I would be mortified (not to mention annoyed) to witness someone doing that in public.
OK- I'm just the opposite. I also was used to 80s-90s (even early 2000s) classes with lots of whooping. I think it is done in part to bring up the energy level of the class??? I was always a non-whooper though. When I started working out with videos, I thought "who the heck are they whooping at???"
tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 01:47 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Another who has been taking part in group exercise classes since the early 80's. Honestly, yelling or whooping in a live class doesn't really bother me unless it's excessive, and that has been a rare occurrence. Sometimes it does act to bring up the energy in a group.

The few Crunch videos I've seen have IMO forced vocalizations that seem ridiculous to me. However, I have been known to shout "yeah!" or "all riiight!" when nailing a particularly challenging segment during a workout. All by myself. In my exercise room. So I guess I'm firmly on the middle of the fence.

But for those who don't think whooping occurs in real life, it does. It really does.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 02:51 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
SO many VFers would say "that's why I don't go to the gym!"The unfortunate thing about public places is that they have the public in them Such a shame.
LOL, very true!

Constant whooping and all would make me nuts too!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
whooping