Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-26-11, 01:06 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

I'll bet Eoin is just beside himself enjoying the new kid.
Old 02-26-11, 01:18 PM  
laurajhawk

Here is Eoin enjoying the new kid: http://www.blissology.com/bliss_baby_day_4.m4v
Here is the naming ceremony: http://www.blissology.com/ananda%20_...g_ceremony.m4v

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 01:23 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

He is a darling little baby!
Old 02-27-11, 08:51 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
How neat! Little Ananda looked so alert at the naming ceremony. And don't you just have to love the bathtub shots?

Thanks also for explaining the name. Very interesting. Ananda Lion. A bliss lion..how perfect!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-11, 09:23 AM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
I didn't say I didn't like it, just said it it sounds girlish. So what. I don't care if it was skyblufacebook.
Speaking of unusual names, Skyblufacebook would probably be better than Suri (as in Suri Cruise). Check this out.

http://www.luxist.com/2009/11/19/oop...t-in-japanese/

ETA: [From the article] "Oops -- I bet Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise didn't realize that "Suri" means "pickpocket" in Japanese, "horse mackerels" in Italian and "turned sour" in French ..."
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-11, 09:45 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotted_zebra View Post
Speaking of unusual names, Skyblufacebook would probably be better than Suri (as in Suri Cruise). Check this out.

http://www.luxist.com/2009/11/19/oop...t-in-japanese/
Suri in my language means pretty
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-11, 09:58 AM  
spotted zebra

This is interesting, especially the part about company and brand names that don't translate well. There are some funny ones!

I'm drawn to unusual names myself, but I also believe it's worth your time to do a bit of research. (Not talking about Eoin Finn, just names in general.)

-------------------

ETA: http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/...t-2102796.html

"... Titles of companies and brands can also be problematic, especially if they expand on a global scale. Furniture giant IKEA, for example, has slapped some unfortunate names onto its furniture, causing IKEA's English-speaking consumers to titter.

The Lessebo loveseat was one notable one and another has to be the Fartfull kids' workbench. In 2005, this half-desk hit stores with hopes that it would tantalise parents with visions of a more productive child.

Although 'Fartfull' merely meant 'speedy' in Swedish, IKEA eventually pulled it from their website. Between its name and design, it would not be surprising if more than one child mistook it for a portable toilet.

Another company that has had to re-think its global market is Gerber. The name of the famous baby-food maker is also the French word for vomiting! Gerber is therefore not in France.

Car companies have also been forced into swift name-changes. Ford's Pinto didn't do well in Brazil as Pinto is Brazilian slang for 'male genitals', so Ford re-named the car the Corcel, which means 'horse' or 'steed'.

In Italy, a problem arose with the Golf Jetta, as the letter "J" doesn't exist in the Italian alphabet, so Jetta is pronounced "Ietta", which means 'misfortune'.

Another memorable one for Ford is the Fiera, which isn't too popular among Latin-Americans, since 'fiera' means 'ugly old woman'.

And Mitsubishi had to re-name its Pajero because the word is a vulgar term for masturbating. In Spanish-speaking countries, this model has since been sold as the Montero instead.

With companies and people, it can often be the case that their name bears both an inspiring and embarrassing significance.

My favourite example is my friend Obi. While Star Wars fans instantly link him to the defiant movie character Obi-Wan Kanobi, in mainland Europe many girls are only familiar with the name Obi as a top-selling brand of tampons.

Not quite the best chat-up line."
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-11, 10:16 AM  
ooty

LOL spotted-zebra. Thanks for the info. I didn't know most of it.
Old 02-27-11, 11:23 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Is the Lion middle name another eastern name or is he named after the animal?

In any event, congratulations to the Finn family!

And KateTT - I your memorial avatar!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-11, 11:29 AM  
CarlaVeg

I am so happy for them and I wish them the best!!! Eoin is just awesome

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote