Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-19, 10:51 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Help me choose my first Lauren Brooks DVD

I'm new to kettlebells and I would like to get one and possibly two of Lauren's DVDs while they are on sale. Which ones would you recommend for someone starting with kettlebells? I like straight strength training rather than metabolic workouts. Does Lauren have anything that would fit that description that would be good for a beginner?

These are the ones I'm considering. How would you rank these for a beginner? Which of these do you enjoy doing most?

Kettlebell Body
Shut Up & Train
Volume 1

Are there any others that I should consider?

Thanks!

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-19, 12:18 PM  
bubbles76

I'm right there with you on the Lauren dvds you chose, except for Volume 1. Kettlebell Lightening looks good too.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-19, 01:19 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan H View Post
These are the ones I'm considering. How would you rank these for a beginner? Which of these do you enjoy doing most?

Kettlebell Body
Shut Up & Train
Volume 1

Are there any others that I should consider?

Thanks!
These are what I'd recommend. I suppose SUAT would be the starting point.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-19, 01:48 PM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

I would go with Kettlebell Body and SUAT. KB has a nice instructional section. I think Volume 1 does as well, but I think it is more up to date on KB. SUAT is great for quick workouts, and is geared for the beginner (though you can grow with it!). Let us know what you decide!

Adding that SUAT is probably my most used Lauren DVD (and I'm not a beginner).

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-19, 02:48 PM  
prettyinpink

I really like KB Body.

I also really like Incinerator, yes maybe it’s more cardio focused, but was very approachable to me as a kB beginner.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-19, 03:15 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

How often do you do kb workouts? Put a day in between like any other strength training?
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-19, 04:22 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

I think I will just get Kettlebell Body now, and if I like it, I'll get Shut Up & Train later.

For anyone wondering about shipping, it is $4.57 for 1st Class shipping for one and $9.14 for two.

Thanks, everyone!

Edited to ask, what brand kettlebell would be good to get? I want one that has a smooth handle and handles well. I've read about the Ader brand here. What else do you recommend? I also need to figure out what weight to start with. Any suggestions?

Thanks, again!

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-19, 01:18 PM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

Kettlebell Body is a good choice! I did Kettlesculpt this morning

I have heard that Aders are good. My kettlebells are not brand names and I got them for a reasonable price at Play It Again Sports. They were new. The handles felt good and are large enough to hold comfortably with both hands. I do have one bell from Kettlebells USA, but honestly I like the the other ones better as the handle is smoother.

I use 15 and 18 pound kettlebells most frequently.

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-19, 01:35 PM  
bubbles76

I have CAP kettlebells. My biggest issue was finding a kettlebell I could comfortably wrap my hands around without the pinkies being crowded. I also didn't want kettlebells that flaked and I wanted a nice feeling handle. Lastly, I didn't want to pay a lot of money and discover kettlebells weren't my thing. I have a 13 pound and a 20 pound. Haven't used them extensively yet, but they seem to do the job.

I would look into getting kettle guards too if you have small, delicate wrists.

I plan on getting the SUAT and Kettlebell Body combo
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-19, 01:52 PM  
starbelly

Kettlebell Body is probably my most used. It is a slow strength-based workout. I did the longer workout from USB& C vol. 1 today (40 min) and it is a metabolic type workout (2 minutes work: 1 minute rest). It doesn't feel rushed and hectic, but you can work hard.

I have SUAT but have never done any of the workouts-- they just don't seem long enough. Have you considered Luscious and Lean or Sexy Strength? I bought the download combo in her 50% sale and it came to $20 for both. They are longer workouts (one is ~50 and the other ~55 minutes) and effective for building strength.

I prefer vinyl dipped kettlebells since they are less likely to damage the floor.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kettlebells, lauren brooks