Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-15, 12:15 PM  
hotncmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
OK, I just finished a HDM workout I got off Youtube - class 3, course 4. Is this an actual workout he SELLS? The audio is terrible and when they bring out the chairs it blocks Hamelin. I was under the impression this was a sample of one of the workouts he sells on his site - I hope for what he's charging that's not the case with this one? I have another one class 4, course 1 that looks like it was just a camera set up in a room where he was teaching.

There's a free workout on his website where he is alone in a white brick room with a mirror and it looks great. Hopefully they are all the same quality as this?

Just want to make sure before I pay $ I know what to expect.

I did start to get that lower back pain I get when I do TA, so I am approaching this gingerly. I notice that he slumps into the hip when doing quadruped hip extensions and abduction. I am trying not to do this because it is really bad form. But with one forearm on the ground, the angle makes it almost impossible to keep the hip stacked, so IDK whether I should just adapt that or what.

It's funny, I do floorwork from BBL, Supermodel Butt and Thigh (Andrea Orbeck), Jessica Smith, and Trudie Styler Pure Sculpt all the time and haven't felt any back pain in a long time. One HDM workout and it's coming back. I wish I knew what is is about HDM and TA that makes my back hurt. I think it's the arabesque with attitude. I don't have an issue with hip extensions in any other workout, and I don't have an issue with abduction either in any position in any other workout. Maybe I'll just stick to his arm stuff, but I'd really like to give it a try.

I have a question about the Abtastic (sp?) workout. Is that one workout or a set? And is it mostly crunches? I don't do crunches. I do planks of all shapes and sizes but any crunches or c-curve work is not for me. Could someone please describe the type of exercises he does in this one?

Thank you!
I hate to quote myself but could someone please answer my questions about the workouts for purchase? Thanks!
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-15, 03:16 PM  
LaCatrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
OK, I just finished a HDM workout I got off Youtube - class 3, course 4. Is this an actual workout he SELLS? The audio is terrible and when they bring out the chairs it blocks Hamelin. I was under the impression this was a sample of one of the workouts he sells on his site - I hope for what he's charging that's not the case with this one? I have another one class 4, course 1 that looks like it was just a camera set up in a room where he was teaching.

There's a free workout on his website where he is alone in a white brick room with a mirror and it looks great. Hopefully they are all the same quality as this?

Just want to make sure before I pay $ I know what to expect.

I did start to get that lower back pain I get when I do TA, so I am approaching this gingerly. I notice that he slumps into the hip when doing quadruped hip extensions and abduction. I am trying not to do this because it is really bad form. But with one forearm on the ground, the angle makes it almost impossible to keep the hip stacked, so IDK whether I should just adapt that or what.

It's funny, I do floorwork from BBL, Supermodel Butt and Thigh (Andrea Orbeck), Jessica Smith, and Trudie Styler Pure Sculpt all the time and haven't felt any back pain in a long time. One HDM workout and it's coming back. I wish I knew what is is about HDM and TA that makes my back hurt. I think it's the arabesque with attitude. I don't have an issue with hip extensions in any other workout, and I don't have an issue with abduction either in any position in any other workout. Maybe I'll just stick to his arm stuff, but I'd really like to give it a try.

I have a question about the Abtastic (sp?) workout. Is that one workout or a set? And is it mostly crunches? I don't do crunches. I do planks of all shapes and sizes but any crunches or c-curve work is not for me. Could someone please describe the type of exercises he does in this one?

Thank you!
I didn't see your post before - these Hamelin threads are growing fast and I haven't been much online for several days

The particular class you saw had to be re-filmed and I guess it has more kinks (the chair positioning as you mention) that it would have if it had been captured in its original form. Most classes were/are filmed in the space where class 4 (the toning class with the hard barre sequence) took place, so he has the camera positioning quite figured out and you don't miss any important details. They're filmed live, so the audio and the definition of the image are about what you see in those two sample classes.

He adds quite a bit of all-fours moves in his workouts. I tried omnicentric and it did a number on my lower back - bad enough to go to the doctor, take pain pills and not being able to workout for months. In about a year and a half doing HDM I've never been injured, but if you experienced pain/discomfort again maybe the fact the high/higher reps in that position are not a good fit for you. More and more I'm convinced that all of us are put together differently, and while someone can do some moves without issues, those same moves might be a bad idea for the next person. In other words, I ended up not being able to walk straight or get out of bed without help after level 1 + four days of level two of meta omni, and I can do thighmatics 1 (many sets of 60 reps in all-fours for an hour) for a month straight without pain (other than in my butt and saddlebags )

About absmatics - it has a variety of moves: callanetics-style side pulses, pulsing moves with weights, rotation, superman, planks (for a "nice" 8 minutes ), c-curve and quite a bit of crunches. While it's a combination I'd say you might not enjoy it because it has many c-curve/crunch moves built in.

Right off the bat, I'm thinking Xpress arms and/or armatics might be a better fit for you. Thighmatics 2 is all barre and side-lying moves and it's a great lower body workout. I don't know which workout you tried and caused discomfort, but if you tell me more about what you were doing I can recommend something else
Old 07-14-15, 04:38 PM  
kalliope999

Thanks for starting this thread, Debbie! And thanks to everyone else who has chimed in. It's been very helpful.

I wonder if someone could try to describe how the Rambert/Deep Muscle Work set differs from the standard sort of toning he does in his various workouts (like in the Matics, or the Method Toning, or other samples on the HDMClips YouTube Channel).

Are the moves more flow-y, or more complex and strung together? Are they less like traditional floorwork? Or is there more pulsing like Callanetics? Is it less toning-intensive than the others? Even though it sounds like people love it, I'm having a hard time knowing if I'd like it better than his regular stuff from the description.

Thank you!
Old 07-14-15, 05:03 PM  
LaCatrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalliope999 View Post
Thanks for starting this thread, Debbie! And thanks to everyone else who has chimed in. It's been very helpful.

I wonder if someone could try to describe how the Rambert/Deep Muscle Work set differs from the standard sort of toning he does in his various workouts (like in the Matics, or the Method Toning, or other samples on the HDMClips YouTube Channel).

Are the moves more flow-y, or more complex and strung together? Are they less like traditional floorwork? Or is there more pulsing like Callanetics? Is it less toning-intensive than the others? Even though it sounds like people love it, I'm having a hard time knowing if I'd like it better than his regular stuff from the description.

Thank you!
Gee, where to begin... Visually, these are Hamelin's prettier workouts. He's filmed from the side and the space is just gorgeous - at least to me, I'm a sucker for brutalist architecture, so I find it quite appealing.

How are these different from all his other series? I feel a strong influence of classical barre moves (as in barre class for dancers, not Lotte Berk-inspired) and floor barre here, along with pilates and a sprinkle of yoga. I've only been doing the first class frequently because I have a ton of HDM workouts I've been sampling lately, but I can tell you that this feels flowy, with much more emphasis on pacing and control of the moves at the same time.

I guess the aim with these is more about increasing flexibility, deep strength and range of motion. And to follow Debbie's remark, that's exactly what I wanted Classical Stretch to be, but I just never found a way to make it click with me
Old 07-14-15, 08:45 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCatrina View Post
Gee, where to begin... Visually, these are Hamelin's prettier workouts. He's filmed from the side and the space is just gorgeous - at least to me, I'm a sucker for brutalist architecture, so I find it quite appealing.

How are these different from all his other series? I feel a strong influence of classical barre moves (as in barre class for dancers, not Lotte Berk-inspired) and floor barre here, along with pilates and a sprinkle of yoga. I've only been doing the first class frequently because I have a ton of HDM workouts I've been sampling lately, but I can tell you that this feels flowy, with much more emphasis on pacing and control of the moves at the same time.

I guess the aim with these is more about increasing flexibility, deep strength and range of motion. And to follow Debbie's remark, that's exactly what I wanted Classical Stretch to be, but I just never found a way to make it click with me

These are next on my list

I just finished glutematics & oh my word am i fried. Tomorrow is a rest day & i know I'm going to need it. This one was an hour & 15 minutes & time flew. I thought it was going to be overkill but it was perfect.

Now i want more!!! I'm thinking either the Rambert or class 5???

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-15, 10:23 AM  
momofcha

Can anyone elaborate on what exactly is in the "class" series? I think it's 10 workouts - but are there cardio workouts, and then separate muscle work? How is it broken down? I'm really only interested in the muscle work so would I be better off with the "matics" stuff?

thank you so much!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-15, 10:27 AM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
Can anyone elaborate on what exactly is in the "class" series? I think it's 10 workouts - but are there cardio workouts, and then separate muscle work? How is it broken down? I'm really only interested in the muscle work so would I be better off with the "matics" stuff?

thank you so much!
The Courses (with 10 classes each) are a mixture... If you just want muscle work, go for the Matics -- they're awesome! (no music though)
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-15, 11:37 AM  
starbelly

Quote:

thank you so much!
I am also only interested in the muscle work. I have the DVD (well, the download of the DVD) which is purely muscle work and is filmed in a well-lit studio. Since he also cues verbally (it's a voice-over so the audio quality is better than in the live classes), it's a very good primer to the method.

You might also like the Rambert Series (called Deep Muscle Work). He's only released one for the non-preorder sales. It's quite nice, but it's filmed from the side and he doesn't have a microphone so the audio isn't as good as in the DVD. I quite liked it!
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-15, 12:10 PM  
LaCatrina

Quote:

thank you so much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by in paris View Post
The Courses (with 10 classes each) are a mixture... If you just want muscle work, go for the Matics -- they're awesome! (no music though)
Yes, and no

The first course is 100% toning with a cardio effect to it
The second course is a mix - the first seven classes are toning with cardio effect (again), class 8 starts to incorporate some cardiotone at the beginning (some jumping jacks, walking side to side with a looped resistance band), then classes 9 and 10 start with the current format (low impact cardiotone with some mild jumping that can definitely be done without leaving the floor, then toning)

Course 3 is all cardiotone plus toning (all classes are close to the 1 hour mark), course 4 kicks up the intensity a notch and has some variety - you get a 80 min class, a 45 min class, one all-mat session and the rest is cardiotone + toning at around an hour long.

If you want "pure" toning, then yes, all the matics are a good option, as well as course 1 and maybe the Xpress series (toning - upper, abs, lower and total body), if they're still available for purchase. Also his classic toning (the DVD download). All those are 100% toning
Old 07-15-15, 01:22 PM  
hotncmom

LaCatrina, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

I'm primarily interested in upper body workouts. My ideal workout would include 1) mat work with plank/side plank variations 2) light weights and 3) unweighted arms - in that order.

I'm currently using Ballet Body downloads and the upper body DVD for my mat work. I'm currently using the HDM Youtube stuff for light weights and unweighted arms. I am working through the ones back from when I first became aware of Hamelin in 2012 again. I'm also trying some of his cardio but I remember being sort of bored by it when I used it before. Mainly I just walk a lot so I don't have time for extra indoor cardio - just toning. If I do indoor cardio I usually just use the Jumpsport while watching TV.

After I go through what I already have, I should have a better idea of likes/dislikes to see which workout would be the best fit.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hamelin, hamelin d'abell method, hdm, old thread alert, rambert, swan arms, thighmatics