Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-12, 08:20 PM  
juberann

My DVD collection is out of control!!!!!!!!

I picked up a couple of DVD storage bags recently, each one stores 50 DVDs and zips up so I bought a set of two thinking I would now FINALLY being able to store my never or rarely used DVDs away neatly instead of the big ol box that sits in my closet. Solution found!!
Well, I went through all of my DVDs and quickly filled the two storage bags which meant I now had 100 DVDs out of the way. It didn't even make a dent and I honestly thought these two bags would be plenty!! I will probably need at least three more, if not four!! How insane is that??? I totally underestimated how many DVDs I had, how crazy and out of control my vidiot habit had become. It's a sickness, I'm tellin ya I figure I have well over 400 DVDs now. I use very few of them
I think I will be getting rid of a bunch of them but not sure what to do with them yet.
Has anyone else ever been shocked to find out just how many DVDs you actually have?
Old 07-25-12, 08:27 PM  
Stephanie_B

Yes and your number is near mine. I still have probably 100 VHS left too. It's nuts, I guess.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-12, 08:36 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juberann View Post
Has anyone else ever been shocked to find out just how many DVDs you actually have?
Yes but I refuse to count them; I'm afraid to.
You are right - it IS a sickness of sorts, albeit a fun one. There are those here who regularly use most if not all their workouts. Then there are those like us who really only need/use 25 or less. Too many serve as a distraction and for me, a visual reminder of how much $$$ I've spent on this habit - which would be fine if I had a killer physique but I do not.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-12, 08:46 PM  
smith938
VF Supporter

I remember back in '89//90 when I first lost weight that I used the sme dvd my roommate had - denise austin's it's your body high impact version! I think the 2nd semester I added nautilus aerobics plus high impact but denise's was the mainstay...now I dont' even wanna count!
Old 07-25-12, 09:19 PM  
mlsp

I counted mine once, and I had over 500. (I still kept buying, too. How weird is that?) Then weird things happen. I hurt my knee and suddenly found myself pulling out floor work DVDs that had been sitting on the shelf for years. I kept reading about barre workouts and pulled out some old barre workouts (that I absolutely hated when I first tried them) and found out I clicked with them now. I have been trying (very hard) not to buy all the current hot items, and it has me shopping my shelves. I've vowed not to buy until Christmas. I have enough on my shelves to keep me busy no matter what!
mlsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-12, 09:26 PM  
Sophia

Once I decided to do a spreadsheet of my workouts. I never finished it and have bought many more since then. I blocked the number I stopped at out of my mind because it scared me. I still won't count. I also hardly ever get rid of anything because I don't know when I'll be in the mood for or need something else.
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-12, 09:47 PM  
schoolgirl-01

i have five 100 dvd zipper cases filled and i still have tons of dvds on the shelves.

its worse now because everyone is started to put out these 8-12 dvd sets each with one workout on the dvd - i wish they could get that down to 1-3 dvds in the set instead of so many.
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 12:01 AM  
mrsyancy

Yep, in the same boat here, but i just can't stop buying and don't want to get rid of anything.....lol.....but I know that I will never get bored either b/c of my collection(which is about 5-600) right now....YOWZA
mrsyancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 02:54 AM  
juberann

Yeah, at least I know boredom will never be a factor. Problem is, I have probably 60 TaeBo DVDs to me, that says I have 60 DVDs of pretty much the same workout!!!!!! The TaeBos will be going soon, although I don't know who would want them.
The workouts I keep out front and center are all my KCM workouts, quite a few Leslie workouts, a few Michelle Dozois, Michele Olsen's workouts and my FIRM workouts. All the rest are stored away. I would add Cathe to my "display" collection but don't because I rarely reach for them. I like Cath alot and feel her workouts are top notch, they just require too much time and equipment for me plus they are usually too advanced.
I just honestly do not remember buying this many DVDs typical vidiot, I guess
Old 07-26-12, 03:19 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
I think I will be getting rid of a bunch of them but not sure what to do with them yet.
vulture speaking: send them to ME!
Quote:
yes. i am. and you know, i delight in going thru them, kinda like looking fondly at old photographs. then i'll put some of the dustbunnies into my rotation, and it's nostalgic and fun.

when i do old Firms, i remember the times when the instructors were all together and not split up!

when doing older Leslies, i remember her old gang.

i also reminisce about my fitness level back then, the few videos (<50) that i used that helped me build my skills.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downsizing, large collection, purging dvds, vidiocy