Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-11, 08:37 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Well, I'm not going to lie...I'm not quite 5' tall, so about the same height as Tracy...and I've been tiny. And healthy and pretty fit, too. And I'd like to be tiny and healthy and fit again...yup, I want it all.

I'm lucky in that I have a job that doesn't allow much sitting around, so maybe that would count as 2-3 hour workout Now I just have to not eat so much
Old 01-17-11, 08:43 AM  
dickensgirl

I loved this post, F1Mom, as I said above, but I'm a bit confused Your blog talks about Turbo Jam, SI6, Tracey Mallett, etc. Did you do the TA Method before & now you're on to these other things??? And is so, does that mean you aren't doing ANY TA even for maintenance??
I may have skimmed & misread both your post & blog but forgive me, I'm a member of Packer Nation here near Green Bay & we are jonesin' for a FIGHT against DA BEARS Little distracted & watching Sports Center while I type
Sorry, back to fitness now!

Jeri

Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did~ Mark Twain
dickensgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 09:01 AM  
hotncmom

The other thing besides fear of back pain that keeps me from fully committing to TA's Method is the crunches. I've always hated crunches, Dr. Stuart McGill says not to do them, and besides that, (hope this isn't against the rules) I don't like Tracy or Laura Stroud's abs. Sure I admire their teeny tiny waists, but they have a rounded poochy area around the belly button, and Tracy herself has overdeveloped (IMO) muscles around her hip bones (I think they're called loins of Apollo). I've read several places that if you don't do crunches right, they can overdevelop the ab muscles right on top and create a pooch. I haven't done crunches in ages. It's all about plank work for me now. So I am afraid that if I fully commit to TA Method, I will not get the abs I want.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 09:06 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

F1Mom, I'm too brain-damaged to read your whole post at one time! I hope the TA plan works for you and gives you the best results you could hope for.

TA is not for me. And probably not for anyone else over the age of 55. My hip hurts just watching her bounce around.

I have her mat workout. I like the set and the music. But, her invisible cueing, the self-absorption and the eye-rolling get on my nerves. At this point in my life, I can't deal with an annoying instructor, even for the greatest results in the world.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 09:09 AM  
orphylea

Awesome review! Thanks for taking the time to write this. I used to not even open TA threads back in my Cathe days. Now I own her 5 of her DVDs. I would like to pick up the book just to understand her theories a little better. I doubt I would commit to her regimen completely, but there are moments I am tempted.

I was planning a barre rotation post surgery (which I had on Wednesday) and now I'm thinkin'...maybe TA??

STS Grad
P90X Dropout
18 week CLX rotation finished
Currently loving Amy's Drop Sets and Cathe's STS TB
orphylea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 09:12 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I'm just so impressed, that with a toddler and an infant, you even have time to do all this exercise AND write such an entertaining, lengthy review! Way to go, F1mom!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 09:14 AM  
topfitmama

Orphylea,

I was planning a barre rotation post surgery (which I had on Wednesday) and now I'm thinkin'...maybe TA??

I wish you a quick and full recovery. Do take care of yourself
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 09:31 AM  
orphylea

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
Orphylea,

I wish you a quick and full recovery. Do take care of yourself
Thank you! It was outpatient surgery for compartment syndrome, so nothing too terrible. I just have to be patient.

STS Grad
P90X Dropout
18 week CLX rotation finished
Currently loving Amy's Drop Sets and Cathe's STS TB
orphylea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 10:20 AM  
hotncmom

What is so beat your head against the wall frustrating about Tracy is that she has these "theories" of accessory muscles and cross vectors, but when you google these terms, nothing comes up. She would have more legitimacy if she would name the "accessory muscles" - I have looked at a chart of the muscular system and I can guess at which muscles she's thinking of, but without her naming them, how do I know that it's not just fiction created in her head?

And as for cross vectors, this is another term that exists only in TA world. I can only assume she's talking about total body integration during movement. For example, when I am playing Dance Central, I can just cheat the moves and only do the hand motion, or I can get more of a workout by putting my entire body into it, back, abs, hips, etc. But she makes up her own terminology for what might be authentic physical reality, and it becomes unverifiable and sounds flaky.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 10:29 AM  
Vee

I have nothing for or against Tracy Andersen, buy I don't believe any systems or methods can claim they are better than others. There is no magic to achieving a fit body. You eat right. You work out. Preferably you combine resistance training (whether weights or pilates or barre or "muscular structure") with cardio. But if people enjoy TA or feel inspired enough by the claims to be committed, then good for her for being able to help.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 day method, arms, barre, plastic surgery, results, tracy anderson, tracy anderson book, tracy anderson bootcamp, tracy anderson method, tracy anderson results