Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-29-20, 04:15 PM  
Taiga

I just ordered these 3 dvds at Tracie's recent sale and am looking forward to mixing them in with her Signature series over the next few weeks.

ETA: I had purchased all the Core Movements and Grand Total#1 on deep sale a while back but didn't reach for them often (though I liked them and the type of movement is clearly valuable). My recent love of the Signature series has caused me to have renewed interest.
Old 03-29-20, 04:23 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by windyh View Post
I used to love Tracie but disliked the Longevity and Reboot period workouts. Just so fast paced I felt like I was flinging around with poor form. How are the 30 minute metabolic and core workouts? I watched the clips and they seem more doable for me. I like that they are rated intermediate and just 30 minutes.
I wasn't as fond of the faster paced stuff either. I did some of it because I think a little speed now and then is good for me. But I realized I just won't reach for that stuff often I prefer a more careful pace and still appreciate that she throws in quick bursts (as in Signature Series) that "fool" me into doing a bit of that work.
Old 03-29-20, 04:30 PM  
kathym
VF Supporter

Just got the signature series. Thanks so much for the breakdowns.
Old 04-14-20, 04:11 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I did Get Up and Go, the second workout in Metabolic Strength Vol 1 and 2. I liked "Coming on Strong" better.

my 10¢ review:

"Warm up" consists of doing lizard and pigeon poses for the legs. Lizard is a difficult pose for me at least.

2nd segment - Unusual - do a side plank w/ bent knees with a row using your free (upper) hand.
Renegade rows - she says use heavy weight. I used 8# and if you go that heavy, make sure you are properly aligned because you can easily injure yourself. Mountain climbers.

Burpees - she remixes burpees by combining it with other plank-type moves and this makes it sort of choppy. I modified the burpee parts using a chair.

The second part of this segment is med ball cardio - I used an 8# med ball, but should have gone lighter because in the beginning, you're using long-limbed movements with the med ball, and a lighter ball would have been safer and just as effective.

"Big Finish" is just standing cardio moves with some jumps - much easier than Tracie's "Metabolic Finisher" from "Coming on Strong." I was expecting Big Finish to be hard.

Core segment is good. This is the last section. I liked it. Starts with seated Russian twists. Unique variation on "Dead Bug" - your legs are straight, not bent. It's more Pilates-style but faster-paced. There's a very brief stretch at the end - for the legs.

General notes:
There is no cool-down, although because you're seated for the Core segment, it would bring down your heartrate naturally. I'd say it's scant on UB and LB work, and more core and cardio-themed.

Liked Coming On Strong better than Get Up and Go.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-20, 08:51 PM  
counterclockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathym View Post
Just got the signature series. Thanks so much for the breakdowns.
Welcome! I did Vol 5 last night with 15’s and 20’s for my heavier weights and it was such a great workout.
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-20, 07:54 AM  
Lori_Michigan

For those interested in mobility work and stretches, I've been doing her Grand Total series lately and there are a lot of mobility stretches in those too. I forgot how much I like these. And only 45 mins!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-20, 11:46 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
For those interested in mobility work and stretches, I've been doing her Grand Total series lately and there are a lot of mobility stretches in those too. I forgot how much I like these. And only 45 mins!
could you provide a description of a mobility stretch vs. a regular stretch?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-20, 01:46 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
could you provide a description of a mobility stretch vs. a regular stretch?
Grand Total 2 Raring to Go has floor 90-90 stretches at the end, which incorporate using all of the core and back to help stretch the hips. She generally refers to them as mobility stretches instead of just basic stretches.

I'm sure others can create a better description but that's what I feel when I do her mobility work, using the strength of others muscles to get more mobility strength in your hips, core, butt, shoulders, etc.

Hope that helps!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
longevity, metabolic strength, tracie long