Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-25-19, 11:02 AM  
Lannette

2 Raviana KY Questions

The last release I’m aware of is their Short Sets which I believe was released in 2015. I don’t see anything newer on their site except the book that I believe was released last year. Have they said anything about not putting out future workouts?

Speaking of “The Kundalini Yoga Book,” does anyone own it? Is it worth almost $60? If so, what makes it worth it?

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-19, 11:04 AM  
sherry7899

I did not buy the book.

I thought in a recent newsletter they said they were working on a new dvd, but they did not share any hints about the content.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-19, 12:43 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Yes, they are working on a new DVD. From prior FB posts, I believe it will be two DVDs, maybe not to be released at the same time though.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-19, 02:04 PM  
ardnas

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
Speaking of “The Kundalini Yoga Book,” does anyone own it? Is it worth almost $60? If so, what makes it worth it?
I have it. IMHO - no, not worth it! I am a Raviana fan and own every workout by them except the first pre Ana vhs one (got rid of 3 I didn't use or care for).
For that price, it is nothing exceptional. Amazon reviews must be from those who got a discount or freebie for them - trust the 1 star review - it is the only honest one, I thought about adding one. (If I did, I'd give it a 2 or 3 - it is ok, but nothing you need if you have their workouts or other yoga books.) It is mostly large pictures. So many other great informative or helpful yoga books out there. I feel theirs really doesn't offer anything new. Had I seen it in person first I never would have wanted it. It is very large and doesn't sit well on a bookshelf. I also feel for that price it should have been hardcover w/ a dust jacket and glossy pages!
Old 06-25-19, 02:20 PM  
Lannette

Thanks so much everyone. I signed for the newsletter so hopefully I’ll get notice of the new releases.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 06-26-19, 08:23 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Sandra - I'm sorry to have spent the money on the book, even though I got it on sale. It's huge and heavy, I can't get it to lay flat if I wanted to try a practice. I don't like seeing the cover. They could have devised a much nicer cover, IMO. I love Ana, don't get me wrong. I would have preferred the two of them together, with a nice neutral background. Agree with you - it should have been hard cover for that price - with a ribbon for place keeping.

Ravi has some very nice writings in it. I hope some day I will appreciate it more, but for now I put it aside and wish I had the $40 back.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-19, 10:07 AM  
Scorpio6

Astounded to see the negative posts about the book. I have it, and my husband and I think it IS worth the money, both of us were very impressed by it. It would be difficult to put this much material in a spiral bound form to lie flat. The pictures and paper quality are top notch.

I can pick and choose and really take my time getting into the breathing or a pose or mix and match without DVD-dependence. I feel that it really helped my understanding!
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-19, 12:19 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Color me unimpressed with Ravi and Ana's manual. And with them in general; I became very disenchanted with them over time. The only one of their videos I kept was 'Beginners and beyond'--the one with the basic spinal series and Ravi's (brilliant) revision to the 5 Tibetan Rites.

Ravi and Ana should have split this gargantuan manual into separate publications--a spiral-bound practice manual showing the kriyas/meditations, and a separate publication about the history and philosophy of KY.

As one who took 3HO KY teacher training and did some teaching, this manual is simply way too cumbersome to use in a class setting, and for me at least, in a home setting.

For anyone who is interested in written KY practice manuals, the ones by Guru Rattana at Yoga Technology were in *very* heavy usage by every KY teacher I ever studied with or took classes from, specifically:

Transitions to a Heart-Centered World

Relax and Renew

These have been revised and are also available as e-books so you can practice using a tablet or phone.

The original editions of these books were a great look at how "kundalini yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan" was in the early days.

I also used Nirvair's Art Science and Application of Kundalini Yoga when I taught. (In honesty, though, this too would be more useful if it were spiral bound.)

For "3HO approved" manuals, I would highly recommend ordering from Yoga Technology or Spirit Voyage, rather than Amazon. Spirit Voyage only sells manuals in ebook format; Yoga Technology sells manuals in hard copy and ebook formats. My experiences ordering from these two companies has been quite good, especially Yoga Technology.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-19, 04:23 PM  
Lannette

Thanks for your thoughts on the book, positive and negative. Thanks for the links Betsy. Do you know if the ebook versions of the books are PDFs or would I need a particular reader to access them?

I admit that I’d love to know what it was that brought about your disenchantment with them. If you’re uncomfortable sharing I understand. I’ve only been doing their older DVDs and am out of the loop where the newer DVDs are concerned.

I assumed their book was hardback given the price. Betsy, you refer to it as a manual. Is this the manual that they give students who take their teacher training? I’m not considering that but they offer a two hour class on each of the weekends they do teacher training. The price is only $35.00. It’s a 4.5 hour drive one way but it’s tempting.

Old 06-26-19, 04:54 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
I’m not considering that but they offer a two hour class on each of the weekends they do teacher training. The price is only $35.00. It’s a 4.5 hour drive one way but it’s tempting.
I don't think I would drive 9 hours round-trip for a 2-hour class, unless I had other things to do at the destination (people to visit, etc.) but I have taken a weekend workshop from Ravi and Ana, a few years ago, and it was a really good experience. I too had become somewhat disenchanted with their DVDs and their email newsletter - I found them repetitive and (the newsletters especially) fluffy - but when I met them in person, they are such lovely human beings, and the teaching was so genuine and "from the heart", that I liked them much better (and used their DVDs somewhat more) afterward.

I haven't bought the book.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kundalini, raviana