Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-07-18, 02:51 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
The idea is at least as old as research from the time of Step Reebok. A search leads to this March 1990 New York Times article and this December 1990 AP article, neither of which I'd seen before but maybe others here have:

ON YOUR OWN; Step Up (and Down) To Sharper Workouts

Step Aerobics: The Next Step?
Wow! Thanks for sharing these articles. Very pleasant to read about the beginnings of Step Aerobics
Old 11-07-18, 04:15 PM  
acey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
I may have to put step in once a week. I liked it when I did it then the choreography got so complex I got frustrated.

I like the straight forward step - Gin's simply step, Gin interval step one (though I don't do the high impact stuff); Kathy Smith had a couple nice ones, I liked her Power step.

time to pull them out and see if my knee can handle it.
I used to be so very frustrated with complex step choreography. I also don't like the ones where you do turns ON the step. For me, just an accident waiting to happen. So I just modify.

Been revisiting step now. Christi Taylor, Marco Prolo, Cathe and Kari Anderson are my favorites. Still find Amy Bento's step workouts a bit of a brain-fryer.
Old 11-07-18, 05:11 PM  
marki64

I just saw on You Tube GymBox Step workouts with Jenni. Has anyone tried those? She looks like she cues well. Very professional and some good music. More athletic combos? I think I will try one tonight or tomorrow. The picture quality looks good too.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-18, 08:46 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
I just saw on You Tube GymBox Step workouts with Jenni. Has anyone tried those? She looks like she cues well. Very professional and some good music. More athletic combos? I think I will try one tonight or tomorrow. The picture quality looks good too.
Just looked at it and like it! I’m looking for simple basic 30 mins routines to add after my current HIIT workouts and hers may fit well.
Old 11-07-18, 09:23 PM  
wendug

I forgot about gymbox! Amazon Prime has several workouts that I did a couple years ago. The step workouts were good and I enjoyed the strength workouts, too. I'll check out what is available on YouTube since their amazon offerings are quite slim now. Thanks for the reminder!

ETA the gymbox has great kickboxing workouts too!

Last edited by wendug; 11-07-18 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Additional info
wendug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-18, 09:36 PM  
marki64

I just did the hour step workout. Jenni is really good and the time flew. Moderate level choreography with a short athletic drill after each combo. Good cuer and personality. Looking forward to trying more Gymbox workouts.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-18, 07:56 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
Searching for "step aerobics" and "METs" (which came to mind when I read "more energy") led to a news article that used, among other sources, something called the Compendium of Physical Activities Tracking Guide (link to PDF on the website of the University of South Carolina).

The 2000 edition (page 1 of this document, under the heading "dancing") gives 8.5 METs for "aerobic, step, with 6 - 8 inch step" and 10.0 METs for "...10 - 12 inch step." To my slight annoyance, no cadence or speed is given--and I've read that step classes would vary in cadence.
I should've looked further when I wrote my earlier post: there's also a 2011 revision. Here are two copies.

from the University of Girona (a table with 1993 and 2000 figures included)

from the site of Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, a scientific publishing imprint (no earlier figures included)

The most relevant part here is that a 10-12 inch step has been revised from 10.0 METs to 9.5, a 6-8 inch step has been revised from 8.5 METs to 7.5, a 4-inch step is added at 5.5 METs, and "bench step class, general" is added at 8.5 METs. No cadence is given here, either.

Quote:
I can compare my subjective thoughts with some of the other activities just mentioned.
I've started that post and will write the final draft with both the 2000 figures and these 2011 figures in mind. The comparison activities do change a bit with the revisions.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
met level, step, step aerobics, stepping