Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-15, 12:56 PM  
Yelly

Does anyone have experience with both a Roku and an AppleTV?

I'm trying to decide which to get, the Roku or the AppleTV, and I would love to hear the opinions of those who have/had both.

The Roku by far has the most channels, and keeps getting more and more, which is great!

But I'm thinking of the AppleTV because everything else I have is Apple, and I love how you can sync everything. It will also play iTunes Radio, which I love, and it will automatically stream anything that's on my iPhone or iMac to the TV, which kind of makes up for the fact that it has far less channels than the Roku. The one thing I don't like about AppleTV is that they don't have the Plex app, which is what I use everyday to stream all of my workouts. I could work around that though, by just adding them to iTunes instead.

Can anyone share their experience with me, and help me make up my mind? Thanks!
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 07:56 PM  
mimikz

I have Roku, Apple TV and Chromecast. I use them all, but by far use Roku the most, Chromecast next and Apple TV the least, but still I use it.

Roku has more to offer that I'm interested in, but also just works smoother without issue. So for channels that Roku and Apple TV have in common, e.g. PBS, I use Roku. I too have all Apple electronics, but I find Apple TV doesn't work as seamlessly as the others. I do use Apple TV for Air Play, iTunes and the ABC channel, but really not too much. I'm glad I have it though when I need it.

Hope this helps, Mimi
mimikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 08:12 PM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimikz View Post
I have Roku, Apple TV and Chromecast. I use them all, but by far use Roku the most, Chromecast next and Apple TV the least, but still I use it.

Roku has more to offer that I'm interested in, but also just works smoother without issue. So for channels that Roku and Apple TV have in common, e.g. PBS, I use Roku. I too have all Apple electronics, but I find Apple TV doesn't work as seamlessly as the others. I do use Apple TV for Air Play, iTunes and the ABC channel, but really not too much. I'm glad I have it though when I need it.

Hope this helps, Mimi
Thank you SO much! Your input was super helpful!
Old 02-24-15, 08:34 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I don't have a Roku, but my experience with Apple TV has been mixed. It would drop the connection, etc. I finally just bought a cable and connected my iPad directly to my TV - it was just too frustrating going in to exercise and spending 15 or 20 minutes figuring out why my Apple TV setup wasn't working.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 09:00 AM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
I don't have a Roku, but my experience with Apple TV has been mixed. It would drop the connection, etc. I finally just bought a cable and connected my iPad directly to my TV - it was just too frustrating going in to exercise and spending 15 or 20 minutes figuring out why my Apple TV setup wasn't working.

Carol
That would be very frustrating. Thanks so much for letting me know! I think I'll probably just go for the Roku. I may end up getting an hdmi converter for my newer iPhone so that I can stream the things that aren't on Roku. I have a converter for my older iphone and it works well, but it's not compatible with the newer lightning thingamajig.
Thanks for the help!

If anyone else has an opinion on the two, please feel free to share!
Old 02-26-15, 07:11 PM  
Yelly

Just wanted to thank you guys for helping me decide!

We bought a Roku last night at Costco (they're $9 off right now), and I like it SO much better than the PS3 we were using previously! It has much better navigation. I'm also extremely pleased, because my husband also bought a Samsung tablet that he's been wanting for a while, and the Roku automatically streams the screen of his tablet! This means I can use my BitGym app (or any others) on my husband's tablet, and have a much bigger picture of it mirrored onto my TV! I'm very happy with our decision!!
Old 02-27-15, 11:00 AM  
jessicavi

Almost a 100 questions

Are you referring to the Roku stick? If so, how do Roku and Chromcast compare? Can you cast your device/whole internet browser to the TV from Roku? Which is more stable/doesn't drop as often? Is it easy to set up? Is there a monthly fee? Thanks.
jessicavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-15, 08:11 PM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicavi View Post
Are you referring to the Roku stick? If so, how do Roku and Chromcast compare? Can you cast your device/whole internet browser to the TV from Roku? Which is more stable/doesn't drop as often? Is it easy to set up? Is there a monthly fee? Thanks.
Hi! I didn't get the Roku stick - I got the Roku 3. Right now I think it's something like $9 off at Costco, so it came to right around $80. It was really easy to set up - you just plug it into the internet and plug the other part into the tv, and you're good to go. There's no monthly fee for the Roku 3, although not all of the channels are free, so you do have to pay for any channels that charge a subscription.
I don't know anything about the Roku stick, but when I did a little bit of research on it a while ago, it didn't have as many good reviews as the regular version, so I never looked into it any further. HTH!
Old 03-01-15, 12:47 PM  
suegy3

The Roku stick sucks. I don't recommend it. I bought it because of the price but returned it and got the Roku 3 which is wonderful!
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple tv, media player, roku, streaming