Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-09, 05:47 PM  
caligurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyslims View Post
thanks guys, and yeah I guess I knew the answer I just needed some support- weird eh? They are just clothes but for some reason in my mind they represented more than something to wear.
awwwww... i understand!!!! that's why some of us said to keep the favorites or most special pieces (but definitely put them away somewhere! don't have them in your closet!)
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-09, 05:51 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Smile Kelly, you aren't alone in this...

I recently realized that it was pointless to hang on to all those lovely little suits I bought for church, little tops for play and jeans (that were wearing out anyway...thrift store finds...the only way I can afford Levi's). I'd regained some weight and those darling small-size outfits just weren't motivating me to slow down on the eating (was exercising very faithfully). Then it occurred to me, why did I need those particular outfits? I needed certain things (like a black skirt and/or pants and white top for our choir's special concerts) that could go anywhere (like funerals, special dinners and church events). So I really and ruthlessly went through my collection and sent a bunch of nice things to the DAV, some went to a lady who had lost everything in a fire...now my wardrobe is much smaller, more versatile and in a size (or size range) that better fits my post-menopausal figure. I feel more comfortable with these clothes and think I look better. And now I'm better able to get a better handle on the eating, too.

FWIW, my body didn't change that much from childbearing. After I lost all the baby weight (really fast after our second daughter...from chasing after two little ones I guess), I went right back to being a nearly flat-chested, no waste little ruler, down to my high school weight and everything...now, 30 years on, I'd be happy just to be at a healthy weight, with the spare tire deflated some...in fact my middle-aged middle is my biggest problem in looking just right in my clothes. You may well find that your body has made some rather nice changes as the baby weight falls off...

Ditch all but the clothes you love too dearly...when you are back to a good "fighting" weight, you'll have so much fun buying all new things in a smaller size Good luck, Kelly!!!
Old 05-05-09, 06:18 PM  
videofit

Donate them to Goodwill. That's where people are shopping these days. They can't afford to buy new clothes.
Old 05-06-09, 01:18 AM  
CarlaShanti

All baby weight aside, I think you should just get rid of the clothes. Donate them to charity and start over. I wouldn't keep anything that doesn't fit or that I'd owned that long. Get shopping!
CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 07:15 AM  
DRD0

I donate my old clothes to the local high school drama department. They are always looking for things.
DRD0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 09:04 AM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I'm not a practitioner of "Feng Shui" but I've read some Feng Shui-inspired de-cluttering books. One point they make is that letting go is liberating.

I have an old "Bizarro" cartoon (sorry I don't know how to put pictures on the website). The caption is "Salvation Army - Special Forces." A woman stands in her living room while troops in combat gear are attacking clutter. One is running with an armful of clothes and saying, "You haven't worn these outfits in years! We're taking 'em!" while others are picking up furniture: "This couch & lamp are totally out of style! They're outta here!"

Cynthia
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 09:48 AM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

No baby, but I did gain and lose some of my weight because of a thyroid condition. I kept some of my clothes though kept whittling away my old wardrobe. Once I lost some weight I enjoyed some of my clothes again and found some irrelevant, since my life and lifestyle had moved on.

I'd keep a few favorites with good memories, but cull most of it.
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
declutter, downsizing