Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-03-14, 07:44 AM  
cyana

Yes, Another Bellicon Thread

I didn't want to hijack anyone's rebounder thread, apologies in advance for starting yet another Bellicon Q&A.

I've made the decision to upgrade to a Bellicon rebounder after using a JS 220 and UR. Choice is a wonderful thing, but there are almost TOO many choices, especially since I can't try one out in person before ordering.

Has anyone ever purchased a 49" Bellicon and wished they'd gone with the 44? Space is somewhat tight, but I have several areas where I could use the larger model (and more if I get creative). Having extra rebounding space is one of the major reasons for going with the Bellicon, as my JS isn't large enough (I frequently find myself migrating onto the cords).

Are there any videos on the Bellicon site that show someone rebounding on the 49? It looks like most of them are 44.

I guess I could also reverse the question and ask how many people with 44's regret not having gone with the 49.

Bungee strength.....I fall in the Strong category according to their chart, but it appears from the posts here most people go up a level. What did you find most helpful in making that decision? I e-mailed their CS and the person who responded assured me I should be fine with the Strong. How does it work if you order two sets of bungees with the intent of returning one? And has anyone ordered two sets of bungees and kept both strengths either to use with different types of work-outs or to mix and match both strengths simultaneously? I feel like my JS is a little too soft in the center, but don't want the jumping surface to be as firm as the UR as I want to use it daily. How much of a pain is it to switch bungees?

Has anyone ordered the Classic Bellicon and regretting not having ordered the Premium model? Or vice versa.

Any regrets/comments on the leg options? I read in another thread where someone removes the legs. Since they screw on and off, I think that is a reasonable option to folding legs. The UR folding legs could sometimes have a mind of their own (could be really hard to fold down). I notice the screw on legs are different between the Classic and Premium models....any feedback or concerns on how they compare.

I love rebounding, have been doing it for years, and really want to go with a Bellicon. Since this is a major financial commitment I'm trying to make the best choices since I hope to rebound for many years to come.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 08:41 AM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

I went from a Jumpsport 350 to a Bellicon 49" classic, screwed on legs, extra strong cords. I have absolutely no regrets about my selection. I love love the larger mat; there is just so much more exercises I can do on the 49" than on a smaller rebounder. For normal bouncing, my weight category falls into the medium range but I chose the extra strong because I wanted a much firmer mat for jogging and faster workouts. I also over pronate and have low bone density in my spine so extra strong is more suitable. Extra strong also works well for DH who is around 155 lb. If you don't like how the Jumpsport sags in the middle, I think you should go at least extra strong and maybe even ultra.

This chart from Toronto Rebounder explains it better on how to choose the best Bellicon cord strength:

What (Bellicon) bungee strength is right for me?

I'm actually considering purchasing another 49" Bellicon for my other house where I also have a Jumpsport. If I do buy, I would probably choose the ultra cords and use 1/2 extra strong and 1/2 ultra in each rebounder.
Old 10-03-14, 08:52 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

In the end, it's going to boil down to personal choice.

I bought the 49" Bellicon last Sept., fell while on vacation in Oct. and sprained my ankle pretty badly. I bought the rebounder with the extra strong cords, and for me, it was a soft bounce that coned in the middle. I tried a couple of times to rebound the last few months, but could not because it really aggravated my right ankle. So my Bellicon pretty much sat for a year. I even pulled out my Needak a couple of months ago and was using it.

Then I watched a video with Arnita Champion:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx-...lhTMnxDAzxPg_w

She bought the ultra cords and I'm pretty sure she either weighs less than I do or we are about the same weight. I'm 5' 7 1/2" and I weigh 131 lbs. So I purchased the ultra cords. This has revived my Bellicon! Technically, I would fall into the med. recommendation.

Initially, I installed the ultras with my existing extra strong and what a huge difference. After a couple of weeks, I went to all ultras. I love it even more. The workouts that I do are fast pace workouts and having the ultras leave very little to no coning in the middle of the rebounder, and leaves me with zero pain in my ankle and lower back. Plus, the firmer bounce raises my heart rate more and I burn more calories.

I know Bellicon is really good at sending out another set of bungees so people can decide which one they want to keep. You might want to do the same thing. The 49" is BIG, so it will take some getting used to. I bought the top of the line model with the screw on legs. I have to store it downstairs, but the frame is really light, so taking up and down the stairs isn't a problem at all. Screwing on the legs each time is the only negative for me.

Anyway, I'm really in love with my Bellicon now and want to use it everyday. The ZERO noise is so awesome.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 09:02 AM  
spotted zebra

Debbie, when you bought your Bellicon last year the extra-strong cords were less firm than the cords Bellicon uses nowadays as you've probably heard already. They'd be the equivalent of strong for anyone buying now so I'm not surprised you went for stronger cords and notice a difference. In your case it's like you went up two strengths.

The extra-strong cords I bought very recently are the equivalent of the old ultras and the mat is nice and firm. I also tried the new strong cords (= the older version of extra-strong) and I couldn't do as many workouts with them so I opted just to keep the new extra-strong bungees which I love.

ETA: I have a 44" Bellicon with screw-in legs and I couldn't be happier with my choice. I love being able to bounce in my living room while watching TV and also move the Bellicon to two other rooms sometimes. I wouldn't have that flexibility if I had a 49" rebounder (because of the extra space it takes up).
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 09:09 AM  
momof10

I don't think anyone would regret getting the 49" Bellicon, IMHO. You just can't go wrong with the bigger surface, since you can do so much more.

I went with the xstrong bungee cords and didn't have any sag in the middle. I have been using mine daily except when I vacationed in Florida for about 10 days. I have had mine for 19 months. Recently, after reading what Debbie wrote on the other thread, I decided to order another set of xstrong and ultra bungee cords. Since I use mine so much, I figured the cords were probably getting worn. I alternated the xstrong with the ultra and have an awesome firm bounce, but definitely not rock hard.

I bought a second Bellicon 16 months ago for my cottage and got the 49" again and also the xstrong bungee cords. So, when I go back up there in the spring, I will have a whole new set of cords for that rebounder too.

HTH
Cheryl
Old 10-03-14, 09:18 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotted zebra View Post
Debbie, when you bought your Bellicon last year the extra-strong cords were less firm than the cords Bellicon uses nowadays as you've probably heard already. They'd be the equivalent of strong for anyone buying now, so I'm not surprised you went for stronger cords and notice a difference. In your case it's like you went up two strengths.

The extra-strong cords I bought very recently are the equivalent of the old ultras and the mat is nice and firm. I also tried the new strong cords (= the older version of extra-strong) and I couldn't do as many workouts with them so I opted just to keep the new extra-strong bungees which I love.

ETA: I have a 44" Bellicon with screw-in legs and I couldn't be happier with my choice. I love being able to bounce in my living room while watching TV and also move the Bellicon to two other rooms sometimes. I wouldn't have that flexibility if I had a 49" rebounder.
No, I had no idea that they changed the strength. So thank you!

Cheryl, I'd be interested in hearing if you end up liking the firmer bounce even more. Yes, it's firmer, but it's nothing like jumping on the floor. Hard to explain, but you're able to control your motion much more, especially the one leg leg bounces.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 02:07 PM  
lovinglove

I have had the smallest Bellicon at first..After about a year I ordered the 49" Bellicon and like it much better...For me the bigger one is much more effective for my workouts (e.g. my jumping jacks are wider, so I can feel it my more in my inner thighs)...
My Bellicon has folding legs, because I my workout room is our dining room, so I can put it away quickly if needed...
lovinglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 02:43 PM  
stacydan

Cyana, I had the exact questions as you and I agonized over them and kept changing my mind. I finally ordered on the 30th because I thought that was the last day of the sale (but so far they are still on sale!) I'm still second-guessing myself but I ordered the 49 classic with extra strong. I took a tape measure and made the circle on the floor and even though my exercise space is in my bedroom I still have plenty of space to do weights too (i love my large bedroom!). On my urban rebounder I had to keep my jacks and skis narrow even though I'm pretty short. When I measured out the 44 size with the jumping area I still had room to do jacks but I was worried about accidentally landing on the bungees in case I got off center so I decided on the 49. I figured I'd rather have extra space than not enough (but like I said, Still second-guessing myself!) Because I've read several threads with people taller than me who said they had plenty of space to do everything they wanted to on the 44.

I decided on the folding legs because another thing that I didn't like about my UR (besides the noise!) was the legs sticking out. I want to fold the legs and lean it against the wall beside my weights and have plenty of room to walk in front without legs sticking out. I know the screw in only take a few minutes to unscrew but I also know I would not take the time to do it. I'm just praying they don't squeak!

I got the extra strong cords because I want to eventually be able to do leslie on the rebounder. I also was worried about the possibility of coning in the center since I got the large size and I thought that was also better for my PF. I have 10 days to exchange if I think I need to but from what I've read I think the extra strong will be good or if not at least I'll know if I need to go stronger or softer.

P.S. Mine will be here Monday!! but if I had known they would still be on sale I'd probably still be trying to decide!

I know it's a huge decision! I did find a short YouTube ad showing the different sizes it's the only one I've seen and I couldn't understand a word because it was in French but it did show each size in both classic and premium.

Stacy
stacydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 03:48 PM  
antbuko

Very informative thread, everything, thank you for your input. You've explained the strength of the bungee cords and the size much better than the Bellicon site.

Question regarding the folding legs - do they fold and unfold with ease? The Urban Rebounder was a #%! to fold and unfold. I was always worried about getting pinched.
Old 10-04-14, 05:53 AM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyana View Post
Are there any videos on the Bellicon site that show someone rebounding on the 49? It looks like most of them are 44.
Here's the video from Bellicon comparing all 3 sizes. She switches between them quite quickly so you might have to watch a few times.

125 cm = 49"
112 cm = 44"
100 cm = 39".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlluc...65D4E99FC4F220

In most of the Youtube videos like the one above people bounce on Bellicons with the older stretchier bungee cords.

The smallest Bellicon (39"/ 100 cm) is closest in size to the Urban Rebounder. The difference in mat size going from the UR mat to the 44" Bellicon is huge - I can move more freely on the Bellicon and 44" is big enough to do everything I want to do on a rebounder. But I'm 5'4" so my legs aren't as long as some VFers who might need a 49" model more than I do.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bellicon, bungee, rebounder