Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-09, 09:29 PM  
Mary W
VF Supporter

I've had more of a chance to play with this, and I have a few criticisms that might help other in making a decision...

So far my biggest complaint is that, unlike My Fitness Coach, you can't choose your rest days (if you're doing the 30-day challenge). For example, I prefer taking Fridays off, but the 30-day challenge has me taking Monday & Friday (or Thursday, I forget) off. No problem in that I was able to add my own workout for Monday, but when I'm scheduled to workout on Friday (or Thursday as it were), will I not be able to make up that workout on the following day? I'm not sure, but I don't like not being able to specify my normal day(s) off.

I LOVE the inline skating! The other day it had me dodging bales of hay (?) by lifting one leg or the other, but today it had me jumping ramps. If I jumped at just the right moment, I spun around triggering a "trick" which is the goal. I didn't watch the how to video so I didn't realize the goal was to jump at the last moment rather than right when the ramp appeared. I'll do better next time knowing this small fact .

The dance segments are lame, but honestly the rebounder makes them more fun. My lower abs are killing me today. I'm not sure why, but I'm sure it has something to do with an exercise from this game as that's the only thing I've been doing differently. LOVE IT!!!!!!
Old 06-05-09, 07:58 AM  
Mary W
VF Supporter

I found out what happens when you miss a scheduled workout day . I was pleasantly surprised to see the Wii set Wednesday into a rest day, and moved Wednesday's workout to Thursday (original rest day).

after using this for 2 weeks, I don't really think it's enough of a challenge for someone intermediate or above. I have it set on the hardest level (that I'm aware of!), and I add workouts to it. I would say I'm working out at a medium level compared to my normal workouts. Definitely taking it easy. I did create a 45 or so minute cardio session that I found perfect for me, but the strength stuff is lacking intensity.

I do love the inline skating and basketball shoots. My least favorite is the dancing and step segments.

HTH!
Old 06-05-09, 12:47 PM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary W View Post
I do love the inline skating and basketball shoots. My least favorite is the dancing and step segments.

HTH!
Mary, can you tell me more about what the basketball is like? What do you do, exactly? My son is wild about basketball, but all the Wii basketball games get bad reviews. If the basketball portion of this is decent (can you access it directly?) it would give me another reason to consider this game.

How appealing is this game to guys? My DH, who has never been a regular exerciser, will actually play Wii Sports regularly, and now that he's telecommuting 3 days/week, he likes to use Wii games as active breaks in his day, something I wish to encourage. Is this something a casual exerciser of the male persuasion might enjoy and something out of? Can you pick your activities or do you have to do what the game selects for you? He would not enjoy the dancing, I am sure.

Thanks!

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 01:38 PM  
Mary W
VF Supporter

the basketball shoots are just a series of 30 (I think) balls that you reach to the left, grab one and, facing the goal, get into sort of half squat and shoot. It seems more like a glute workout than an actual acuracy in aiming for the hoop kind of thing. Is that what you're asking? The trainer tells you if you're shooting with too much or not enough strength, and when you get it right it goes into the hoop!

The inline skating is also more of a glute workout. The depth of your squat determines your speed, and when you jump the ramps correctly, your Mii does "tricks," like twirls and flips. I really enjoy that one!

Yes you can pick your own exercises, and you can string them together in a series. I love that feature. The dancing isn't really dancing, it's just arm movements. I use my rebounder for some added intensity (and fun because it totally is NOT!).

I'm not really sure a man would like this, but my dh doesn't really like any Wii games except golf so I'm not familiar with what a guy would like. You can pick a male trainer, if that would help.

Another thing I like a lot are the boxing drills. They have a series of punches, kicks, and knee ups with targets to hit. It's very fast (not too, though) and fun, imo.

There's also tennis and volley ball, which so far I'm not very good at. I don't seem to be able to time my shots very well. There are walking/running segments too, which I like well enough with my rebounder, but I can't see running in place on the floor.

Have you checked youtube? I wish I could be more help!
Old 06-05-09, 04:15 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Wendy, Wii Sports Resort is coming next month, and it includes a basketball game. There aren't many details besides a trailer that was released at E3, but I imagine it's structured like Wii Sports. It's $50 (includes a Motion Plus attachment) so maybe it's worth holding off buying anything until reviews of it come out.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 06:30 PM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

Thanks, guys,

That's helpful. I think I'll hold off for a while. I think one of the moms at our bus stop just got EA sports active, so perhaps I can invite myself over to see it.

WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 10:09 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

This trailer shows the basketball gameplay on Wii Sports Resort; it's in Japanese but you can get the gist of it. IMHO it looks more like a Madden-style button-pushing party game than a real calorie-burner, but it might be fun for your DH and son to play together.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
active gaming, ea sports active, wii