Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-20, 02:11 PM  
prettyinpink

Well, Barre3 has kept their promise and really picked it up this month.

The first of the month, we got six or seven new workouts: two new sixty minute videos, several thirty minutes (strength and cardio, just one mindful) and a ten minute. But then the past two weeks there have been a couple more thirty minute ones.

Some people still may not like the new categorizations or like everything about the workouts or the format, but they do seem to be delivering on replenishing the library. I am very pleased.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-20, 02:21 PM  
lynnf

I agree! Things have definitely improved over there. And some of the new workouts have been really good. I still don't get exactly what they were thinking with the new categorizations. They were a fusion workout before the revamp and somehow they decided to separate out cardio, strength and mind/body. But why? Their fusion approach was great. Now they still struggle with cardio, and lots of times still create dull cardio (though sometimes they can pull it off). And when they try to do normative strength training (not barre type) they really don't know what they are doing. I am in a running battle to try to get them to realize that what they call strength training "intervals" are actually supersets. I really think they are getting out of their league when they start trying to get into actual weight training stuff. If I want to do weight training I am not going to go to barre3 for that, frankly. But apparently they think their people will.

Still they seem to be putting out plenty of their normative stuff to please me, so I am overall happy with it and they seem to be settling down more or less.
lynnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-20, 03:18 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnf View Post
I agree! Things have definitely improved over there. And some of the new workouts have been really good. I still don't get exactly what they were thinking with the new categorizations. They were a fusion workout before the revamp and somehow they decided to separate out cardio, strength and mind/body. But why? Their fusion approach was great. Now they still struggle with cardio, and lots of times still create dull cardio (though sometimes they can pull it off). And when they try to do normative strength training (not barre type) they really don't know what they are doing. I am in a running battle to try to get them to realize that what they call strength training "intervals" are actually supersets. I really think they are getting out of their league when they start trying to get into actual weight training stuff. If I want to do weight training I am not going to go to barre3 for that, frankly. But apparently they think their people will.
Such good points! I agree.

The cardio ones can be boring. I think the strength ones are usually just as good for cardio, at least the ones where there isn’t much on the floor.

These days (and for a long time) I have used them mainly for cardio/light strength. I think I used to feel more like their cues could make the workout harder for me and I could always activate more or go deeper. Now, I feel like they encourage more in the other direction, to back off if you need to, which is fine, but to make it harder when I want to I have to use my own harder variation or remind myself of how to make the workout more effective.

None of this bothers me that much, but there does seem to be a slight change in target audience.
Old 02-18-20, 08:03 AM  
lizr

I HATE their new interface. I didn't even realize there were 2 new 60 min workouts. The 'latest workouts' section shows me the new strength w Andrew, the 30 min cardio w/ Christa Joy (who I adore!) and the 30 min cardio w/ Charo. And then there are some from January.

Thank you for pointing these out for me.
lizr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-20, 08:48 PM  
lynnf

I also love Christa Joy, but do not care for Charo. Christa Joy's cardio is so much fun while Charo makes cardio a hard slog.

However, the real issue I have with barre3 these days it that I do not understand what their philosophy is now. Before they professed that they combined cardio, strength and mind/body in one (i.e., fusion) and always told everyone, that yes, you did get all 3 from their workouts. But now they seems to say think that the old way isn't enough cardio to be cardio, so you must have exclusively cardio workouts. And now it seems that they may also think that the old way isn't enough strength to be strength since some of their new strength workouts seem to be structured as traditional weight training workouts rather than barre-type strength moves.

I never thought barre 3 was meant to be the only way to train and I mixed it up with walking, yoga, and kettlebells. Of course, you need to cross train. But I found the old barre 3 did give cardio and strength benefits while having a lot more fun factor than tedious cardio and weight training workouts. Is the new barre 3 subscribing to the idea that we have to have more tedious cardio and strength training to get results and that the old classic barre 3 really wasn't good enough? It's hard to say because as far as I can see they never seem to explain why they are going the way they are going. Does anyone know?
Old 02-18-20, 09:10 PM  
prettyinpink

Are there other newer videos that do the more traditional weight moves? I only saw just the one with the “intervals”.

Incidentally, despite what they said, I didn’t ever really feel it was enough for strength on its own, even when I had phases where that was about all I did for a few weeks at a time.

My heart rate runs about the same no matter what the title of the video is (except the mindful ones).
Old 02-19-20, 06:32 PM  
lynnf

The "intervals" are the ones with traditional weight training moves, but there are a few of them.

I agree that barre isn't enough for strength on its own, but not impressed with their intervals, because if you are going to go with major strength training, these wouldn't be enough either.
Old 02-22-20, 10:43 AM  
ruthular

Ugh. Just ugh. Started my Saturday with a B3 workout. Strength conditioning with Allison. It was awful. Boring, repetitive, not barre3 at all. She kept talking about intervals, but it was three supersets. What the heck are they doing? I used to love barre3 and still enjoy the studio classes, but online is an absolute nightmare. I've never seen a company implode like this. They had something really special and they are actively ruining it. So sad.
ruthular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-20, 04:33 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I wonder what in the world are they thinking? Where is Sadie in all this?

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-20, 08:16 PM  
lynnf

I know I hate those so-called "intervals." If you look at the comments I keep telling them these aren't intervals, but supersets. If you could chime in on the comments I'd appreciate it. This is the worst new part of barre3. Not all of the new ones are these so-called intervals. The new Andrew one is standard barre 3.

You made me so happy knowing these were supersets and not intervals. I can't believe how ignorant they were to call these intervals.

Tags
barre 3, barre3, barre3 streaming