Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-19, 06:18 AM  
Sara1000

Who remembers?

I was thinking about how a fitness program or instructor comes out, we all jump on the bandwagon, get excited, then the enthusiasm dies out, and it's on to the next one.

Some we spent a lot of money on, then realized they weren't really fun, they didn't change our bodies, or just generally didn't meet our expectations. Or we just got bored and moved on. You might be able to sell or trade it if you move fast enough, or it might be too late and no body wants it any more.

I'm thinking there's a generation of VFers here that doesn't even remember programs that were all the rage a decade or two ago.

I'm thinking of the Urban Rebounder with JB Berns - it came with about 6 DVDs and we were all talking about them for weeks. (They're still selling the whole set on eBay, NIB). Got rid of that thing years ago.

What fitness craze from years past do you still have? Do you ever use it? I still have the FIRM Transfirmer but only one of the DVDs that came with that system - was it BSS4? Seems like they finally got the equipment worked out and then moved on. I still have most of FitPrime and KickButt but hadn't used them for years until a couple of days ago I did Metaboost.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-19, 07:33 AM  
donnamp

Oh, I remember those days!!! New FIRM releases, new Cathes, new Beach Body.....

I don't use any of those on a regular basis any more.....I'm more about shorter workouts these days that are more moderate in intensity. I think (ahem) age and lifestyle demands just changed my workout focus and I don't really like to workout all that hard any more and I generally don't have time to devote an hour plus a day to workouts.

These days I'm doing more Jessica Smith, Ellen Barrett, Pilates, Yoga, etc.

It will be interesting to see what I want to do when I retire (it is a ways off, I"m only 51) and/or when my DD is off to college (not that far off, just 2 years). I am wondering if I will have more time then to devote to longer workouts and possibly more energy b/c it is not being "wasted" at work and commuting and running my DD all around to her activities.

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-19, 08:11 AM  
kat999

I still remember being absolutely fascinated by and REALLY wanting the FIRM Wave system when it first came out, but at the time it was so ridiculously expensive that I just pouted and didn't buy it. Then I found it at a Dick's Sporting Goods a while after its release for a really good price, ordered some of the add-on DVDs online, and was both delighted with it and also felt like, "Hmm, this is FUN, but was it desperate-to-have-it fun?" I actually still have the set and still do the workouts, but I just have them in a normal rotation and then only come up for me about once every six months or so.
Old 06-22-19, 08:12 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Sara, this is such a timely topic because I recently (re)ordered 21 Day Fix. Am I crazy or what? I bought it when it first came out (2014?) and then sold it, untried, and got rid of the containers. I think hearing about the surrenders scared me. There's no way I'm going to do them with my bad knees, but I figure I can always substitute something, use lighter weights, etc.

Donna, I've also been wondering if retirement will allow me to devote more time to fitness. In my case, it's seven months away (sorry! ), and although I plan to semi-retire and still work from home PT, I fully expect (and hope!) that I'll be more active than I am now. I work from home a lot now and am able to sneak in a quick walk or yoga at lunchtime, but I've also found that work stress and lack of sleep continue to drain my energy.

So yes, I do remember the good old bandwagon days, and I miss them. I still have all my FitPrimes and KickButts, most of Jari's Ripped workouts, Gilad's Quick Fit system, and others. Someday I'll have to say goodbye to these old friends, but I'm not quite ready yet.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-19, 10:19 AM  
Gams

Joan, I bet you’ll find a lot more time to work out once you retire. When I was working, I hardly did any exercise. Between my work hours and commute time, I had a long day. I retired last October and have worked out almost every day since between an hour or two each day. Retirement is great!
Gams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-19, 11:19 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

I remember the Fit Primes and the Firms. They were two different sets right. I remember I couldn’t afford the set. I think what happened was they took too long for what time I had,

I think what got me was Collage Videos pamphlet. I do miss those.

I think also when the bow flex days were here, everyone wanted to ski and it didn’t take an hour of your time.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-19, 11:40 AM  
red1013

I always looked forward to the new FIRM infomercials. The BSS systems (especially BSS3 & BSS4) are still some of my favorite FIRM workouts.
Old 06-22-19, 11:42 AM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

The BSS FIRMs were in my weekly rotation until very recently, but I'll always keep them & plan to use them every once in a while.

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-19, 11:43 AM  
Sara1000

What was that thing Gin Miller came out with with three different colors you stepped or tapped on - I think she was hoping it would be big like step aerobics (which didn't she start?) but it didn't catch on. Leslie Sasone did a couple of workouts for it.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-19, 11:46 AM  
dnna

It was the ramp! I still have mine, and all of the Gin workouts and the Leslie workouts. A vf here also taught a class using the ramp, cool!
If my knee ever gets healed I would love to use them again.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bandwagon, collage catalog, nostalgia, vf activity, vintage workouts