Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-19, 01:53 PM  
carly

I interprete this as a overly "dramatized" story to sell another lifestyle or d**t book.

1. The book is titled " 131 Method: Your Personalized Nutrition Solution to Boost Metabolism, Restore Gut Health, and Lose Weight". If Chalene is so hurt by the suggestion to lose weight then why is she going to tell us how to do it.

2. Bret Johnson, Chalene's husband is the "managing business partner" of all of her companies. Were the executive producers talking to the husband or the business partner assembling the deal?
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-19, 02:24 PM  
seww

I think this is all marketing strategy to pique interest in her new book!
seww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-19, 03:39 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I'm in the marketing strategy camp. That's Chalene's schtick.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-19, 03:41 PM  
Stephanie_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I'm in the marketing strategy camp. That's Chalene's schtick.
Definitely.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-19, 04:11 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I don't pity Chalene because she's done very well for herself, and I'm sure her relationship with BB played a huge role. But I still think she was talking about BB and PiYo, and I don't really think she needed to lose any weight. That's why I found it disturbing that they would suggest that.

However, it's worth noting that PiYo was a project that was....different. It's not a weight program nor is it really a cardio one. Maybe they thought it would be harder to sell, and if Chalene could tighten up a bit, that might interest people more. Because if Chalene, who already looked just fine, is suddenly smaller and tighter, we would assume PiYo is what caused that.

But that leads to the next point: what does that say about us as consumers? We're only interested in looking good and don't care about fitness? Unfortunately, that's true. People buy fitness systems they will never do because they like the way the instructor looks and they believe the system will give them the same results. What's wrong with working out because it makes you strong and healthy? As long as we consumers are so focused on appearance, producers will push instructors to do unhealthy things to achieve the right look.

The reason I think she was talking about PiYo is because she did look leaner and tighter for that one, and she said the producers were talking about her "next" project, which made me think they had worked with her before. And it would appear that her relationship with BB did end after PiYo, yes? She's moved in a totally different direction. I guess tightening up wasn't enough?
Old 02-17-19, 07:24 PM  
keilan00

On the other hand, what does that say about Chalene? A couple years earlier in 2011, she released a book called Push. With all of her fitness experience, she ignored everything did an extreme crash diet and obsessively worked out for 3+ hours a day. She was selling a Piyo but that program didn't give her that physique. Deceptive.

This is the official Piyo infomercial and Chalene signed off on everything. Just watch the first few minutes and listen to what she says.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZQpsRmOT9g
On the contrary, she did beat herself up using other methods to get results. She, in fact, used fad diets and extreme workouts.
keilan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-19, 08:03 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keilan00 View Post
With all of her fitness experience, she ignored everything did an extreme crash diet and obsessively worked out for 3+ hours a day. She was selling a Piyo but that program didn't give her that physique. Deceptive.
I think that probably happens much more often than we may realize. Chalene isn't the only one who does this.
Old 02-17-19, 08:42 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
I think that probably happens much more often than we may realize. Chalene isn't the only one who does this.
Of course not. Just about every Beach Body program ever, just for a start.

On the other hand, you never see someone like Cathe or Tracie Long saying they only do their own DVDs to look like they do.

I am all for truth in advertising, but on the other hand, anyone who is naive enough to believe the hard sell and the infomercials will figure these things out soon enough.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-19, 03:46 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly View Post
I interprete this as a overly "dramatized" story to sell another lifestyle or d**t book.

1. The book is titled " 131 Method: Your Personalized Nutrition Solution to Boost Metabolism, Restore Gut Health, and Lose Weight". If Chalene is so hurt by the suggestion to lose weight then why is she going to tell us how to do it.

2. Bret Johnson, Chalene's husband is the "managing business partner" of all of her companies. Were the executive producers talking to the husband or the business partner assembling the deal?
Both excellent points.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-19, 07:43 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acg2grvQ0ww ***warning: Chalene throws out an F-bomb near the end.
Thanks for the warning--I listened more privately than I might've otherwise. It's around 9:22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly View Post

I hadn't looked at the video yet and was unaware of the book title. This comment led me to listen sooner than I would've otherwise--I was looking for clues without success.

I won't be buying the book to satisfy my curiosity (and I avoid buying products that promote a diet or weight loss), but my best guess was that her book distinguishes between people like her and people who at least supposedly "actually need to lose weight." (It probably also distinguishes, for example, between crash diets and whatever eating ideas she advocates.)
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beachbody, chalene johnson, instructors appearance