Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-30-16, 08:57 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
The Pilates by Lisa Spring into Summer Challenge starts tomorrow! I will start a thread on the Check in page today.
I'm in! Thanks Cheri!
Old 10-30-16, 12:03 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I am considering trying Pilates again. I never liked it-found it to be as exciting as watching paint dry. However because of recurring back pain( which I am not currently experiencing) I am thinking of giving it another try. Plus I can't lift now because of a broken finger. It looks like I can try Pilates by Lisa on a trial basis based on the 30 second look I had of the site just now. However I think I am going to revisit some DVDs. Aunt Famous, which of the Karen Voight do you recommend? It looks like it is a set of 2. I know I had the one with the circle at one time but traded both some time ago. Is the Total Core one good? I really don't want to buy the circle again.

I might ask for some of the other ones for the gift exchange - the Andrea Speir and Jules Benson ones. I also have two of the 10 minute solutions Pilates DVDs. One with the large Swiss ball and one with the playground size ball. These are the only ones I found to be OK but I haven't done them in ages.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-16, 09:21 AM  
Aunt Famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Aunt Famous, which of the Karen Voight do you recommend? It looks like it is a set of 2. I know I had the one with the circle at one time but traded both some time ago. Is the Total Core one good? I really don't want to buy the circle again.
I did the Karen Voight DVD again this morning, and yes, it's the one with the circle. That's the only one of hers that I own, and I really like it.

If you want to start free, Pilates Fix's YouTube channel has some great, short Pilates routines. (Andrea Speir is one of the two people at Pilates Fix.) If you want to start cheap, I always find a ton of Pilates DVDs at our local Goodwill and thrift stores, and spend half a second checking out the reviews here.

I know you don't want to buy the circle again, but I have recently been on a circle kick.

I had the same attitude that you did -- it's like watching paint dry! -- until recently. I did Pilates, and then a lot of other, more intense things, and I found a lot of nascent injuries cropping up. Since I came back to the Pilates fold, a lot of nagging pains are gone. I am relieved to be free of that ice-pick-in-the-back feeling particularly.

Good luck!

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-16, 08:14 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I was in Five Below today and see that they have a $5 magic circle. I did not buy it but I now know where to get one if I decide to go in that direction. I really do not want to bring more equipment into my house.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-16, 12:25 AM  
videofit

This thread has me wanting to drag out my Pilates DVDs which I haven't done in years I have a couple of 10 Min. Pilates, Hit the Spot Pilates (Denise Austin), Stott Pilates Core Challenge and Jules Benson Total Core Pilates. I'll have to figure out which is the easiest since I haven't done any in so long and don't want to injure myself.
Old 11-04-16, 02:18 PM  
lorajc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I tried to do a longer stint with Essentrics because of the results I read about and I did begin to like it, but I just wasn't seeing any results and I got bored, but.... I sometimes get some back pain with it. For me I believe it's because I'm trying so hard to stretch everything that I'm on the verge of spasms and I think that's where my soreness comes from. FWIW.

I am a very recent PBL convert. I think I'm about six days in now. Really enjoying it after never ever clicking with pilates. And crazy enough, I feel like I'm already seeing some results. Maybe there are "magic" workouts for different bodies.

Hope you feel better, flamingoo!!
What's PBL?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-16, 02:22 PM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
What's PBL?

Pilates by Lisa
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-16, 02:23 PM  
sherry7899

PBL-streaming site "Pilates By Lisa." I don't do pilates, but I've seen it mentioned here a lot

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-16, 02:55 PM  
lorajc

Isn't Lisa really advanced?

I also wanted to comment that this is a timely thread. I was just looking at my beginner Pilates DVD's, as I'm injured (spinal) and have been doing Kundalini Yoga for a year healing....and unable to workout. I know my doc's have said to strengthen my core and I know my back is weak. I've also read a lot that strengthening your low back, in turn helps support the neck - where I have a lot of issues also.....so maybe I'll try a few short workouts, try to strengthen my core before I attempt other workouts. I mean it makes sense, right? Maybe I can get to a healthier level that way.

Thanks for this thread. I'm looking for more beginner DVD Titles also!!
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-16, 05:41 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
Isn't Lisa really advanced?
Since I'm pretty new to pilates, I don't really know, but..... she is quite tough! I can't always do all her reps and I almost always take her beginner suggestions, which she does give pretty frequently, it seems. Even then it's pretty tough.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jules benson, mini ball, pilates, pilates ball, pilates band, pilates by lisa, pilates for back pain, winsor ball