Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-20-16, 09:40 AM  
flamingoo

Pilates?

O.k this just seems crazy to me. About a month ago I restarted Essentrics and while I LOVE Essentrics I some how aggravated my back. I honestly think it was me stretching too much, but am kind of afraid to revisit the dvds. I ended up getting my back checked out because it hurt really bad! I found out I have degenerative disc disease which really doesn't surprise me because both my mom and sister suffer from it. Anyway, I'm really nervous to do anything to aggravate it. Yoga helped, while doing the exercises, but after my back didn't feel good. I also think a lot has to do with all the ab strength I lost. So not being able to decide between restarting TA or trying Pilates- I went for pilates. I ended up using the good ole Winsor buns and thighs and then the bridge/ab sample workouts on Pilates by Lisa website. I woke up yesterday a.m with very little pain and again today! This couldn't be from one day of doing pilates could it??? If it is, I'm sold!
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-16, 09:52 AM  
killoffsonny

Pilates has been the only thing to keep me from having back pain. I have been practicing regularly for five years and before that it was off and on for about five. I try to get in at least two pilates workouts a week. I love yoga for how it makes me feel mentally and it has other benefits like strengthening upper body and that good ol stress reduction but nothing I've done helps my back like pilates. My chiropractor doesn't practice pilates but he's done research on it and has other patients who do it and he loves it.

I hurt my back doing TA about five years back. So I gave that up and have stuck to Pilates. I also used to do T-Tapp. I think its good too but still always go back to Pilates. I'm 62 BTW.
Old 10-20-16, 09:55 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

My lower back always feels better even after 1 day of pilates. At the beginning of this year I was doing pilates (Pilates by Lisa) consistently, and my back was much better. Very little pain, if any. I'm back to pilates now, and no back pain!
Old 10-20-16, 10:44 AM  
dnna

I am also afraid of CS/Essentrics. I practice so carefully and still end up with back pain. Tried the new beginners and I swear, I kept my mind on form and was meticulous in doing it and still ended up with terrible back pain. I am at a loss for a reason.
I do pilates daily and yoga daily with no pain. I also have just started doing a little cardio and weights and so far so good. the workout is Kathy Kaheler workout class-about a half hour. really beginner. I also glad I kept it.
I really understand the fear of aggravating/causing back pain. good luck
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-16, 11:11 AM  
Scorpio6

Is this Lisa Johnson? Or another Lisa? Does she have any DVDs or online only?
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-16, 11:28 AM  
Rhonda

When you do your pilates, how long of a practice do you do? I like it but my attention isn't good, so would 10-15 minutes a few times a week be good or do you really need to do those longer practices?
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-16, 11:37 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
Is this Lisa Johnson? Or another Lisa? Does she have any DVDs or online only?
Pilates by Lisa is Lisa Pentony. Streaming subscription site only.

www.pilatesbylisa.com.au

I have the EXACT same response to Pilates by Lisa. I click with her and have been following her rotations for nearly a year. In that year, the only hip/low back flare I've had is when I did the barre3 challenge in January. Sold me for sure.
Old 10-20-16, 11:40 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
When you do your pilates, how long of a practice do you do? I like it but my attention isn't good, so would 10-15 minutes a few times a week be good or do you really need to do those longer practices?
Lisa's rotations are generally a 15-35 minute workout each day with a bonus add-on. So, she's recommending daily, shorter practices. I do both recommended workouts and it is anywhere from 25-50 minutes, depending on the day. I think doing Pilates a few times a week would be great.

I remember reading an interview with the Dr who started the South Beach diet years ago. Way back when Pilates was too "easy" for me. Or so I thought. He said that he never went a day without Pilates because of all the benefits it gave.
Old 10-20-16, 11:45 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Another vote for the benefits of Pilates! For me it prevents back pain, improves posture, tones, strengthens, and just feels good! I agree with Cheri, a short practice 3-5 X a week will yield great benefits! I do a lot of other forms of exercise and often tack on 10 or 15 minutes of Pilates abs.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-16, 12:25 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
I am also afraid of CS/Essentrics. I practice so carefully and still end up with back pain. Tried the new beginners and I swear, I kept my mind on form and was meticulous in doing it and still ended up with terrible back pain. I am at a loss for a reason.
I tried to do a longer stint with Essentrics because of the results I read about and I did begin to like it, but I just wasn't seeing any results and I got bored, but.... I sometimes get some back pain with it. For me I believe it's because I'm trying so hard to stretch everything that I'm on the verge of spasms and I think that's where my soreness comes from. FWIW.

I am a very recent PBL convert. I think I'm about six days in now. Really enjoying it after never ever clicking with pilates. And crazy enough, I feel like I'm already seeing some results. Maybe there are "magic" workouts for different bodies.

Hope you feel better, flamingoo!!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jules benson, mini ball, pilates, pilates ball, pilates band, pilates by lisa, pilates for back pain, winsor ball