Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-16, 01:21 PM  
bfit

I agree with leaving your head on the ground/floor/mat. Also, you can put your hands behind your head like you do when doing a crunch.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-16, 06:28 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Many thanks to all of you for taking the time to share your input!

You've made pilates more accessible in ways I hadn't considered before.

I'm less nervous about investing time and money exploring pilates now & am off to explore the recommended workouts!
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-16, 03:24 AM  
Gancho Girl

Rebekah Rotstein's Pilates For Buff Bones is great for neck issues, as the head is never lifted off the ground when lying down. It's also got three demonstrators, doing a basic version, an "intermediate" version and an "advanced" version. I really love the principles she uses - so much so that I did the Buff Bones training! I use the lot of her modifications for my clients.

---
http://livingroomathlete.blogspot.com/

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Gancho Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-16, 07:14 AM  
Breezy Trousers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gancho Girl View Post
Rebekah Rotstein's Pilates For Buff Bones is great for neck issues, as the head is never lifted off the ground when lying down. It's also got three demonstrators, doing a basic version, an "intermediate" version and an "advanced" version. I really love the principles she uses - so much so that I did the Buff Bones training! I use the lot of her modifications for my clients.
You're trained in this discipline and recommend it; Allison shares the same issue and recommends it. This sounds like a workout I can grow with, too. That's enough for me. I just purchased it. Thanks!
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-16, 07:38 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Gee I need "buff bones" I might get this one, too.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-16, 07:42 AM  
AnMrsDe

Thank you, Gancho Girl and Allison for the Buff Bones dvd recommendation as I am in need of hip strengthening exercises and this includes them. It has some great reviews and I ordered too.

Also thanks so much, Breezy, for asking this Q, as this dvd seems to be great for overall bone health.
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-16, 07:53 AM  
cherimac

I've had this on my radar for years. I need to purchase it. I love reading and learning about Pilates and have heard great things about Buff Bones.
Old 09-28-16, 10:44 AM  
Non-Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gancho Girl View Post
Thanks for this information. I've had this one on my Wish List at Total Fitness DVDs for a while now. I guess I'd better buy it before they're all gone! I've been looking for a really beginner-level Pilates DVD.

Linda
Non-Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-16, 10:45 AM  
red1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Agree with Cheri, you can keep your head on the mat unless absolutely necessary, such as for the criss cross. You can also put a small playground ball behind the upper shoulder area so the head is resting but the core is engaged. Just be sure the chin isn't jammed in toward the chest. Natural Love, a Pilates instructor who used to post more often, always recommended to her clients they can keep the head on the mat, and she often opted for that herself.
Thank you for suggesting this, I never would have thought of this on my own. I used my Barre 3 ball this morning during ab work, worked great!

Tags
core strength pilates, favorite pilates dvds, neck friendly pilates, pilates - neck, pilates ball, pilates band, pilates for buff bones