Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-15, 01:51 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I was going to make some comments, but I figure this thread can get locked without my help.
I guess the forum rule is that we are not allowed to criticize a DVD instructor's appearance, and I like that rule. But it would suit me fine if we were not allowed to discuss their appearances at all. Positive or negative. I know I'm in a small minority on that one.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-15, 02:03 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
I am an older woman who is still trying, but Try being old. It is very difficult to maintain a slim youthful fit body when you are aging. I do the best I can but I have gotten some real hurtful remarks irl.
Illness, aging, real life is very hard. and even when you are trying, people can be judging; the walmart comments, the grandma bat wing comments, I think everyone who is over 60 knows what i mean.sometimes when I am hobbling about in pain I am sure someone thinks- she should start exercising. ha!
I admire Margaret Richard! She is very positive about older women and exercise, and what is practical and helpful and good for you.
I hear what you are saying. I just turned 59 last week, and this last ten years has not been kind to my body, despite my efforts. Heaven only knows how bad I would feel (and look) if I wasn't exercising every day.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-15, 02:07 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
I am an older woman who is still trying, but Try being old. It is very difficult to maintain a slim youthful fit body when you are aging. I do the best I can but I have gotten some real hurtful remarks irl.
Illness, aging, real life is very hard. and even when you are trying, people can be judging; the walmart comments, the grandma bat wing comments, I think everyone who is over 60 knows what i mean.sometimes when I am hobbling about in pain I am sure someone thinks- she should start exercising. ha!
I admire Margaret Richard! She is very positive about older women and exercise, and what is practical and helpful and good for you.
I think some people think of Cathe as motivating because they think, "if she can do it, I can do it," and that works for them.

I feel like some people hear that and take it to mean, "if Cathe can do it, and I can do it, then you can and SHOULD do it." In other words, it turns shaming.

Although some comments have sounded a little bit more like that than others, I don't think that was anyone's intent.

I am sorry for the horrible comments you have gotten from people. I wish there weren't so many nasty people in the world.

Personally, I don't take much pride or personal credit in my level of fitness or appearance. I take pride in things that I accomplish that are difficult for me. I love my fitness activities. It is not hard to do something I love consistently. However, I am aware that for some others fitness activities are extremely unpleasant and I think those people should be very proud of themselves for sticking with it. Just a different perspective.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-15, 02:17 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I was going to make some comments, but I figure this thread can get locked without my help.
Ditto.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-15, 07:09 PM  
desderata

Cathe is in amazing shape and 99% of the workouts I do are Cathe's, but I don't find her inspirational in the sense that I aspire to look like or be as fit as she is. Cathe's physique, strength, cardio capacity, and ability to do a large volume of high impact exercises come from decades of professional training and nutrition. She is a 50 year old woman who reached middle age with a mass of mature muscle that most of us won't have. I think we should just do as much as we are able and focus on being the best we can be in the ways that are important to us.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-15, 07:13 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by desderata View Post
Cathe is in amazing shape and 99% of the workouts I do are Cathe's, but I don't find her inspirational in the sense that I aspire to look like or be as fit as she is. Cathe's physique, strength, cardio capacity, and ability to do a large volume of high impact exercises come from decades of professional training and nutrition. She is a 50 year old woman who reached middle age with a mass of mature muscle that most of us won't have. I think we should just do as much as we are able and focus on being the best we can be in the ways that are important to us.
My point exactly, from way back in this thread.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe ice, filming a workout, ice