Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-15, 02:16 PM  
MsThistlebottom

James Knight -- because his Gentle Yoga through Somatic Exploration (lower body section) is my magic fix for recurring piriformis pain

Annette Fletcher -- because her Perfect in 10 Stretch is a reliable antidote for tight hips and hamstrings

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 02:19 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I'm the first to add Lee Holden? I should use him more because he is so magical for me. When my back is out or I have something going on with the upper body, I turn to his back pain videos. When there's a traffic jam on the highway, I turn to his digestion video. When I'm stressed out, I turn to his stress video. When my joints hurt, I do Healthy Bones & Joints. From time to time I use all the others just because they feel good and sound good and Lee and the scenery look good. I know I'm being a biatch because my husband will say "Go Gonk" (code word for go do QiGong).

Like when I'm stumbling around in pain holding my back and he says "Plotz" (code word for "do Pilates."). **

I know some people feel that he's played out, or he doesn't teach 100% authentic true QiGong, but he works for me and he is accessible (easy to purchase, easy to understand, etc.).

** Not many others at VF will feel this way, but certain of Mari Winsors practices really get my spine functioning again. My spine is very quirky and taking a shine to Winsor practices is one of those quirks.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 02:26 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I'm the first to add Lee Holden? I should use him more because he is so magical for me. When my back is out or I have something going on with the upper body, I turn to his back pain videos. When there's a traffic jam on the highway, I turn to his digestion video. When I'm stressed out, I turn to his stress video. When my joints hurt, I do Healthy Bones & Joints. From time to time I use all the others just because they feel good and sound good and Lee and the scenery look good. I know I'm being a biatch because my husband will say "Go Gonk" (code word for go do QiGong).

Like when I'm stumbling around in pain holding my back and he says "Plotz" (code word for "do Pilates."). **

I know some people feel that he's played out, or he doesn't teach 100% authentic true QiGong, but he works for me and he is accessible (easy to purchase, easy to understand, etc.).

** Not many others at VF will feel this way, but certain of Mari Winsors practices really get my spine functioning again. My spine is very quirky and taking a shine to Winsor practices is one of those quirks.
Lee, of course! I'll add him. And Marie.
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 03:00 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Martha Peterson is straight and to the point Somatics. My only gripe is that she does one side on the DVD's so I have to go back to do the other side.

James Knight throws in some seated meditation with pretty pictures and calls his somatic yoga.

Martha and James do the same exercises but with their different personalities.

Erhard is in his 70's and does Somatics, sometimes with the usual exercises and sometimes he changes them a little bit to put his own spin on it.

When my pelvis gets too high on one side or my leg gets shorter because my pelvis won't behave, somatics is the only thing that can get them back to normal without going to physical therapy.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 03:08 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvcritters View Post
Martha Peterson is straight and to the point Somatics. My only gripe is that she does one side on the DVD's so I have to go back to do the other side.

James Knight throws in some seated meditation with pretty pictures and calls his somatic yoga.

Martha and James do the same exercises but with their different personalities.

Erhard is in his 70's and does Somatics, sometimes with the usual exercises and sometimes he changes them a little bit to put his own spin on it.

When my pelvis gets too high on one side or my leg gets shorter because my pelvis won't behave, somatics is the only thing that can get them back to normal without going to physical therapy.
Thanks! I had read about Martha just doing one side in a review of her first DVD. I think I would find that annoying. Apparently, she does both sides in her newer DVDs.

I had ordered some of James Knight's pricey DVDs only to find out that they are DVD-Rs. That is way too much to pay for DVD-R, IMHO, so I sent them back. At least he has free stuff on YouTube.

ETA: Are Martha's videos on DVD or are they DVD-R?
Old 05-07-15, 03:26 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I didn't realize James used DVD-R. I checked mine and you're right. His free stuff is great.

I think I have all but one of Martha's and their all DVD.

When the DVD recorders came out, I put Margaret's Getting Better and Muscle and Grace on DVD-R along with all of the original Winsor Pilates. I'm still using them. I've never had a problem with DVD-R.

Old 05-07-15, 03:34 PM  
lorajc

What about the new Melt method does that count as rehab? I've been very curious about it but its out of reach financially for me right now so ill stick with Petorne balls and my foam roller with fingers.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 03:39 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvcritters View Post
I didn't realize James used DVD-R. I checked mine and you're right. His free stuff is great.

I think I have all but one of Martha's and their all DVD.

When the DVD recorders came out, I put Margaret's Getting Better and Muscle and Grace on DVD-R along with all of the original Winsor Pilates. I'm still using them. I've never had a problem with DVD-R.
I have a personal quirk about DVD-R. I don't mind if the price is reasonable, but paying exorbitant prices for recordable media vs. professionally pressed DVDs seems like a rip off to me:

http://www.loc.gov/preservation/scie...longevity.html

Margaret sent me a DVD-R of some workout years ago. I called her and asked for a proper pressed DVD. She sent it.
Old 05-07-15, 03:43 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Wow! I wonder why Margaret would send a DVD-R when she had a pressed DVD. Seems wrong.

I think with James I would've paid anything to get out of pain. If Somatics had been written on a used napkin I probably would've paid for it.

As far as longevity goes for DVD-R, when I'm gone my stuff will all end up in the landfill. If I was 20 or 30 years old I might worry about it but at my age it doesn't matter all that much.

Old 05-07-15, 04:53 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
How has she helped you?
Her spinal work keeps my back functional.

She has also eased some strain/discomfort in my shoulders.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
erhard rohrmüller, esther gokhale, injuries, injury prevention, lee holden, prehab, rehab guru, rehabilitation, somatic yoga, thomas hanna