Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-08-14, 04:06 PM  
killoffsonny

Thanks everyone for your testimonials. It really sounds wonderful. Now if I can ever come up with the green stuff I think I could really get in to this style of yoga.
Old 05-08-14, 04:08 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I don't use this program for cardio. It is my strength. My back is much, much happier when I am alternating DDPY with my usual Classical Stretch. I walk almost daily for cardio.

I deal with muscle soreness and tightness. I have autoimmune issues and this program has been great for me. I am definitely less sore using this program as opposed to using free weights or bands. Everything with me needs to be bodyweight exercises.

I think there is a money back guarentee with DDPY. I'd give it go. As with everything, YMMV. And yeah, you can't out exercise a bad diet. I haven't lost weight on this program but for me it's all about what I put in my mouth. I'm on the upper edge of a normal BMI and think that most people who have lost a lot doing DDPY have had a lot to lose. I think Arthur (the vet) changed his diet drastically along with doing DDPY.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 04:50 PM  
killoffsonny

I can't use free weights either. Really really HURTS. Very hard to describe. I was using six pounders in a Jessica Smith video I bought and of course that was a BIG mistake. Had to lay off upper body workouts for about three days. I stick to body weight exercises for the most part. My shoulders are very touchy and now I'm starting to feel issues in my knees too. The DDPY videos look kind of hardcore though which is the main reason I started a thread about the workout.
Old 05-08-14, 07:13 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

He starts you out very gradual. For the longest time in the rotation it is Diamond Dozen (tutorial), Energy, and Fat Burner. Those are the easiest workouts. I got anxious and jumped ahead...mistake. Those beginner workouts build strength. I would definitely do the rotation as written---I am a solid intermediate and found them easily modified up or down.

I took about a week and a half off and decided to restart the program with Energy and Fat Burner. Every other day with DDPY is good for me.

Oh, and I did get the Max Pack with the advanced workouts...I have no idea if I will ever be able to do them. Those are hardcore, for sure.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 07:30 PM  
Footballnut

Hmmm. Anyone had luck with rehabbing using this? I have severe piriformis syndrome. It doesn't take much to anger my hip. I stretch a lot and I am switching my workout focus. I do have some Tracy Anderson, but I think it is going to have to go on hold for a while. I did my first workout on Monday. It's Thursday and I am still in a ton of pain. I did a couple of Classical Stretches too. I would definitely be interested in this if it is effective for rehabbing. Any thoughts on this? I don't really expect it to permanently fix my problem, but if it is less likely to aggravate it, that is definitely attractive to me.
Old 05-08-14, 08:44 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
He starts you out very gradual. For the longest time in the rotation it is Diamond Dozen (tutorial), Energy, and Fat Burner. Those are the easiest workouts. I got anxious and jumped ahead...mistake. Those beginner workouts build strength. I would definitely do the rotation as written---I am a solid intermediate and found them easily modified up or down.

I took about a week and a half off and decided to restart the program with Energy and Fat Burner. Every other day with DDPY is good for me.

Oh, and I did get the Max Pack with the advanced workouts...I have no idea if I will ever be able to do them. Those are hardcore, for sure.

Jackie
I agree with Jackie--the rotation is gradual. It doesn't get hardcore until you're ready for it. There are modifiers in every workout, too.

I have done the Hip, Back and Knee Opener workout on the Max Pack a few times; it's quite good. I modified some stuff, but it was do-able.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 09:49 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballnut View Post
Hmmm. Anyone had luck with rehabbing using this? I have severe piriformis syndrome. It doesn't take much to anger my hip. I stretch a lot and I am switching my workout focus. I do have some Tracy Anderson, but I think it is going to have to go on hold for a while. I did my first workout on Monday. It's Thursday and I am still in a ton of pain. I did a couple of Classical Stretches too. I would definitely be interested in this if it is effective for rehabbing. Any thoughts on this? I don't really expect it to permanently fix my problem, but if it is less likely to aggravate it, that is definitely attractive to me.
I have moderate piriformis flare-ups from time to time, and the first time I did DDPY, it did anger the problematic piriformis on my right side. I always use the lower extremities section from James Knight's Gentle Yoga through Somatic Exploration to get back on track. Amazingly, it works every time, and all it takes is a session or two. Since then, I've had no issues at all after a DDPY workout. I do believe the extra stretching has been helpful in preventing problems.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 11:24 AM  
kathym
VF Supporter

Does DDP take Paypal? It sounds like a good program.
Old 05-09-14, 01:20 PM  
Footballnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
I have moderate piriformis flare-ups from time to time, and the first time I did DDPY, it did anger the problematic piriformis on my right side. I always use the lower extremities section from James Knight's Gentle Yoga through Somatic Exploration to get back on track. Amazingly, it works every time, and all it takes is a session or two. Since then, I've had no issues at all after a DDPY workout. I do believe the extra stretching has been helpful in preventing problems.
OOOHHH! I like the looks of that. Thanks!
Old 05-09-14, 01:24 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

does anyone have a link showing clips of the actual workouts? thx.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calisthenics, ddp, ddp yoga, james knight, somatic yoga