Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-08-14, 07:55 AM  
killoffsonny

What's so special about DDP?

I had a little bit of insomnia very early this morning. When that happens I turn on the tv to infomercials. This one caught my eye. It's been mentioned on this forum of course and I've gone to the website in the past but the infomercial made it seem miraculous. Just like Jesus came down and healed these people from their disabilities. Is it really that miraculous? I have shoulder issues and don't do a lot of yoga anymore but watching this makes me think my shoulders will be healed if I did DDP Yoga.

Also the dvd's are a bit pricey so if I'm not going to get healed I'm not sure I want to invest. Oh ye of little faith ...........I know.
Old 05-08-14, 08:00 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I have been doing DDPY since Thanksgiving and am surprised, but really like it. It is a solid, well planned program. I like how it progresses and it is motivating to see the strength gains. I have strengthened my core and feel like it has helped me with my ongoing back and hip pain.

I have tried other yoga dvds and they haven't clicked with me. It is so neat to all of a sudden be able to take a pose "to the next level" or do one more pushup. It is just nicely planned out.

DDPY is athletic style yoga with some calisthenics mixed in. And it's not zen, either. I like DDP, though, and find him motivating.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 08:01 AM  
alisoncooks

Yes! I watched that infomercial a dozen times!

I do think DDP Yoga has had pretty positive feedback from VFers. Part of DDP's approach is a tightening/engaging of muscles while you perform the moves. Unfortunately for me, this led to a lot of tension. Neck, shoulders, back... tense & uncomfortable after finishing each workout.

(FWIW, I had the same kind of bodily response to Classical Stretch... and it seems like everyone loves CS and feels rehabilitated from it, LOL.)

So... I guess I just wanted to throw out one non-positive review to help balance you. But I know what you mean -- infomercials are VERY good at what they do.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 08:09 AM  
killoffsonny

I get the impression that it has a cardio effect? Of course I was not fully awake when watching. Just wondering if I could kill three birds with one stone......cardio, strength and flexibility.
Old 05-08-14, 09:22 AM  
Pie
VF Supporter

I just finished watching this as well. I am definitely intrigued. The testimonials are amazing and for some reason I believe the participants actually got their results from the program....

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 09:23 AM  
suzy
VF Supporter

I have no idea what's so special, but it's working for me.

I agree with Jackie about how it progresses. I've gained strength...which was my goal. I was afraid his voice would bother me. It doesn't. He is very encouraging and fun. The workouts move at a nice pace. I don't wear a heart rate monitor, but I do feel my heart rate goes up a little during DDP Yoga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killoffsonny View Post
Just like Jesus came down and healed these people from their disabilities.
I don't know about that, but he does claim some of the moves are taken from rehab.

It has done what I hoped it would do. Strength gains, short, no dread factor, and I feel like I've worked out when I'm finished. I do miss the zen from other yoga, so I've started adding in some more yoga. And I'm continuing Classical Stretch.
suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 09:43 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy View Post
I have no idea what's so special, but it's working for me.

I agree with Jackie about how it progresses. I've gained strength...which was my goal. I was afraid his voice would bother me. It doesn't. He is very encouraging and fun. The workouts move at a nice pace. I don't wear a heart rate monitor, but I do feel my heart rate goes up a little during DDP Yoga.
I agree with Jackie and Suzy. The program has done wonders for my strength and flexibility, and my knee pain (arthritis) has diminished considerably. I seemed to make a little more progress with every session, and that is very motivating to me. I like hearing his encouraging comments to "make the workout your own" and "You guys really kicked it today!" I like saying BANG! at the end of each workout, and it amuses DH.

I did wear a HRM in the beginning to see if my heart rate really did rise during muscle engagement (it did). I do believe the participants got their results from the program, and some of them started out in very bad shape. The community support is genuine and inspiring. There are also some dietary recommendations, which I personally think are highly important, but I won't go into them here.

This month I'm mainly focusing on Jessica walks and strength training, but I intend to go back to a regular DDP yoga rotation next month. I'm usually pretty upbeat, but DH commented recently that I was even happier when I was doing DDPY regularly.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 09:45 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by killoffsonny View Post
I get the impression that it has a cardio effect? Of course I was not fully awake when watching. Just wondering if I could kill three birds with one stone......cardio, strength and flexibility.
I do DDP Yoga. I really like it, but I use it for strength and flexibility. From what I see on the Team DDP forum, the vast majority of people using it are people who haven't exercised in a really long time and/or are quite overweight. For those people, these workouts, even the tutorial, have a cardio effect. For me, not so much. I do other workouts for cardio and use DDPY for strength and flexibility, and that's fine with me. In DDPY, in order to keep your heart rate up the whole time you MUST use dynamic resistance consistently throughout the whole workout, and I doubt that most people really do that. I'm also a bit skeptical that someone who already has excellent cardiovascular fitness would be able to get their heart rate up enough with these workouts (except for the most advanced workouts) even with perfect use of dynamic resistance. I could be wrong, though, and YMMV.

For me, the reason this program is different is that calisthenics and some physical therapy exercises are mixed in with yoga poses. DDP worked with a chiropractor who is also a yoga teacher to create this program. Some of the exercises in DDPY are things that a chiropractor gave to me at one time. So it isn't "just" yoga postures.

I've definitely gotten stronger with DDPY and it was the best fitness investment I made last year. I still use the workouts and would recommend DDPY to anyone who wants a "yoga as exercise" program led by a high energy instructor, or to people who find most other yoga practices too foo-foo, New Age-y, etc.

I am on the Team DDP forum as much as I am on this one, and I am really touched and inspired by the people who stick with it--folks are regaining their health and losing a lot of weight by following the program (which includes a major dietary component). Just this week a woman from the UK posted her before and afters. She lost 100 pounds in a year. She still has 40 to go, but the results thus far have been fabulous--and this isn't a Beachbody before and after. The after shots are unretouched photos taken with a phone camera in her house in the same room as the before shots. I wanted to stand up and cheer.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 09:48 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Yes! I watched that infomercial a dozen times!

I do think DDP Yoga has had pretty positive feedback from VFers. Part of DDP's approach is a tightening/engaging of muscles while you perform the moves. Unfortunately for me, this led to a lot of tension. Neck, shoulders, back... tense & uncomfortable after finishing each workout.

(FWIW, I had the same kind of bodily response to Classical Stretch... and it seems like everyone loves CS and feels rehabilitated from it, LOL.)

So... I guess I just wanted to throw out one non-positive review to help balance you. But I know what you mean -- infomercials are VERY good at what they do.
That's one reason why I do not use these workouts for cardio.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
Old 05-08-14, 10:02 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
I just finished watching this as well. I am definitely intrigued. The testimonials are amazing and for some reason I believe the participants actually got their results from the program....
Like I said, I'm on the Team DDP forum a lot, and people post before and after pictures. You are encouraged to post pictures of yourself doing 6 poses in the before shots, and then doing the same 6 poses in the after shots. I have not seen a single before and after set of pictures that were professionally taken. It's people in their houses with a phone camera.

The program is effective, but as I said earlier, there is a MAJOR dietary component. These workouts alone are not the reason people are losing weight. Lots of people don't follow the exact dietary program that comes with DDPY, and they still lose weight. As is said here over and over, six pack abs begin in the kitchen.

Tags
calisthenics, ddp, ddp yoga, james knight, somatic yoga