Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-05-14, 12:25 PM  
cpcathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I had to chuckle. I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis decades ago. People in my life have often had a hard time remembering what exactly the condition is. Then, several years ago, people starting asking, is that the type of arthritis Phil Mickelson has? He had done commercials for Enbrel and had apparently gotten quite a bit of press. It made it easier to explain when someone famous had it, too. Especially when the person had read or heard the kind of pain he had to deal with while playing golf...
I know I have to feel for Phil Mickelson, but every time I see the Enbrel commercial (it's what I take) I think "he can afford his co pay without Enbrel assistance!"

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 12:42 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

old thread alert! but wanted to ask a question of others with autoimmune issues.

I've got RA, mild, but I'm afraid I'm losing some strength (could be my meds) - not a lot but I am still riding/competing my horse so I'm hyper aware of things.

Has anyone found heavy weight training, low reps (splits) to be a bad idea? I'm considering trying to find some Charlene Prickett weight work to see if that is useful. I mostly do TA with some Joyce Vedral thrown in.

TIA!

Terrie
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 12:50 PM  
cpcathy

I gave up on heavy weights, it's painful on joints the day after. I do lighter weights or Tracy Anderson, which sometimes has no weights.

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 12:59 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventmom View Post
old thread alert! but wanted to ask a question of others with autoimmune issues.

I've got RA, mild, but I'm afraid I'm losing some strength (could be my meds) - not a lot but I am still riding/competing my horse so I'm hyper aware of things.

Has anyone found heavy weight training, low reps (splits) to be a bad idea? I'm considering trying to find some Charlene Prickett weight work to see if that is useful. I mostly do TA with some Joyce Vedral thrown in.

TIA!

Terrie
I have an autoimmune disease and recently fell in love with Cathe's Ripped With Hiit Series. The strength work is a three day split (two upper, one lower) and there's a premix option for doing one set only + finishers, which is exactly the right amount for me. I don't get tired, I just get regular DOMs but nothing awful, and the results are aesthetically pleasing as well. That said, I do not have RA, so YMMV.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 01:08 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lila_says View Post
Giving up grains & legumes was one of THE BEST things I've ever done for my body --- & given that I was a vegetarian for over 18 that was quite the switch to make. I think you'll find your body a far more hospitable place if you can make yourself ditch those.
I also found this to be true.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 01:13 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventmom View Post
I've had psoriatic arthritis for decades and had it when I found VF and entered the world of exercising. For quite awhile, I did heavy strength training for me, 15-20 pounds were my heavy weights. I thought that it helped because it helped to develop the muscles that supported the bad joints. The only constraints I found was that when my hands/wrists were bad, I had trouble holding the really heavy weights and had to find substitutes for push ups. (I did chest presses.) You might need to find substitutes for moves that tax certain bad joints.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 02:37 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcathy View Post
I gave up on heavy weights, it's painful on joints the day after. I do lighter weights or Tracy Anderson, which sometimes has no weights.
thanks, I would not be interested in heavy weights day in/day out, thinking of adding it into my rotation every couple of weeks.
Old 03-04-15, 02:38 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I have an autoimmune disease and recently fell in love with Cathe's Ripped With Hiit Series. The strength work is a three day split (two upper, one lower) and there's a premix option for doing one set only + finishers, which is exactly the right amount for me. I don't get tired, I just get regular DOMs but nothing awful, and the results are aesthetically pleasing as well. That said, I do not have RA, so YMMV.
thanks! I'll look at these, although I've never clicked with cathe
Old 03-04-15, 02:40 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I've had psoriatic arthritis for decades and had it when I found VF and entered the world of exercising. For quite awhile, I did heavy strength training for me, 15-20 pounds were my heavy weights. I thought that it helped because it helped to develop the muscles that supported the bad joints. The only constraints I found was that when my hands/wrists were bad, I had trouble holding the really heavy weights and had to find substitutes for push ups. (I did chest presses.) You might need to find substitutes for moves that tax certain bad joints.
thanks - fortunately my joints are in fairly good shape at this point (some finger joints show changes, and of course, as far as we know).
Old 03-04-15, 02:41 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I also found this to be true.
thanks, I follow a diet for ibs that's somewhat like that.

Tags
autoimmune disorder, fibromyalgia, gentle somatic yoga, james knight, somatic yoga