Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-23-13, 02:50 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Soccergal, thanks for the review and breakdowns!! Awesome!! I also wished there was more sliding, but the workout sounds great and overall well rounded. I'm also surprised that the Beginner workout was about 52 mins, I was thinking it would be around 30 mins.

I'm so glad to hear you're feeling it today!!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 02:56 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

soccergal, thank you for doing all the work and moving my reviews over here

I am feeling slight doms in my inner thighs and glutes today from the Lower Body Workout, but not so bad that I can't walk... which is good!

I forgot to add that I really like the controlled pace of the workouts. There is no frantic feeling and they actually stress controlling your movements. I feel like the instructors really know what they are doing and they offer good modifications.

I'm probably going to do a boxing workout today, and another Obsidian workout tomorrow. Maybe I will try the Advanced one, just to kick myself in the butt
Old 12-23-13, 03:06 PM  
soccergal23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraipel View Post
soccergal, thank you for doing all the work and moving my reviews over here

I am feeling slight doms in my inner thighs and glutes today from the Lower Body Workout, but not so bad that I can't walk... which is good!

I forgot to add that I really like the controlled pace of the workouts. There is no frantic feeling and they actually stress controlling your movements. I feel like the instructors really know what they are doing and they offer good modifications.

I'm probably going to do a boxing workout today, and another Obsidian workout tomorrow. Maybe I will try the Advanced one, just to kick myself in the butt

I totally agree about the controlled pace - that is something that is missing in a lot of the newer workouts, probably because the "in thing" seems to be crunching as much as possible into 30 minutes or less.

I've got the Intermediate one on tap for tomorrow. My arms are now so full of DOMS I can barely move - but it's all good Have fun with the Advanced one
Old 12-23-13, 03:09 PM  
soccergal23

Thumbs up Obsidian Rotation Calendar

I e-mailed Obsidian this morning to see if they could suggest a Rotation Calendar and they responded with the info below. Talk about fast & efficient customer service! And it's fantastic that one of the trainers responded so quickly as well

Happy Holidays,

We went ahead and sent an email to Lacey (one of the trainers in the videos) and asked her what a good rotation for the DVD’s would be and you can find her answer below,

“My opinion is to start with the beginner, then the intermediate, followed by the advanced. At that point you should be ready to mix and match the others. When we begin a challenge, we always follow that pattern, that is specifically why we did the beg, int, and advanced. Next we will do pure cardio and abs (great combo), pure cardio and upper body (also a great combo), power and balance covers every muscle group so it can be coupled with anything. Circuit is a great workout that our clients love to pepper into the mix. We suggest doing the same workout all week (I know it sounds mundane, but the client really improves with each class and feel really strong by the end of the week). Recovery could be done once a week or any time the customer wants some lengthening/corrective exercise. It is critical to understand and learn the fundamental Obsidian exercises. This sequence will help facilitate great form and execution.
Week 1: Beginner
Week 2: Intermediate
Week 3: Advanced
Week 4: Pure Cardio alternating with Abs or combine the two
Week 5: Power and Balance alternating with Lower Body or couple the two
Week 6: Circuit
Recovery throughout once a week or any time the customer feels the need for additional lengthening.

A reminder to track nutrition and hit their weekly calorie target (can use Livestrong or Fitness Pal) will greatly enhance their results. Falling short of their calorie target will hinder their ability to build lean tissue and increase endurance. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Best,

Lacey, Owner of Dash Fitness”

Thank you for your email and please let us know if you have any further questions.

Sprigley Allan
Obsidian Logo Signature
2150 W. Washington Street Suite #205
San Diego, CA 92110
Toll-Free: 1-800-619-1090
www.BuyObsidian.com
Old 12-23-13, 03:10 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraipel View Post

That sounds great!!

You guys are killing me and making me more eager!! haha I need to try this!!

Keep having fun and soreness!! And please keep the reviews and breakdowns (if possible) coming!!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Old 12-23-13, 03:11 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Wow, great information Their customer service seems to be very good. I am happy to support them!
Old 12-23-13, 03:27 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccergal23 View Post
I e-mailed Obsidian this morning to see if they could suggest a Rotation Calendar and they responded with the info below. Talk about fast & efficient customer service! And it's fantastic that one of the trainers responded so quickly as well

Happy Holidays,

We went ahead and sent an email to Lacey (one of the trainers in the videos) and asked her what a good rotation for the DVD’s would be and you can find her answer below,

“My opinion is to start with the beginner, then the intermediate, followed by the advanced. At that point you should be ready to mix and match the others. When we begin a challenge, we always follow that pattern, that is specifically why we did the beg, int, and advanced. Next we will do pure cardio and abs (great combo), pure cardio and upper body (also a great combo), power and balance covers every muscle group so it can be coupled with anything. Circuit is a great workout that our clients love to pepper into the mix. We suggest doing the same workout all week (I know it sounds mundane, but the client really improves with each class and feel really strong by the end of the week). Recovery could be done once a week or any time the customer wants some lengthening/corrective exercise. It is critical to understand and learn the fundamental Obsidian exercises. This sequence will help facilitate great form and execution.
Week 1: Beginner
Week 2: Intermediate
Week 3: Advanced
Week 4: Pure Cardio alternating with Abs or combine the two
Week 5: Power and Balance alternating with Lower Body or couple the two
Week 6: Circuit
Recovery throughout once a week or any time the customer feels the need for additional lengthening.

A reminder to track nutrition and hit their weekly calorie target (can use Livestrong or Fitness Pal) will greatly enhance their results. Falling short of their calorie target will hinder their ability to build lean tissue and increase endurance. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Best,

Lacey, Owner of Dash Fitness”

Thank you for your email and please let us know if you have any further questions.

Sprigley Allan
Obsidian Logo Signature
2150 W. Washington Street Suite #205
San Diego, CA 92110
Toll-Free: 1-800-619-1090
www.BuyObsidian.com
That sounds great!! And they answered so quickly!! Thanks for the info!

Old 12-23-13, 04:19 PM  
soccergal23

Thumbs up Intermediate DVD review - part of Obsidian 7 DVD add-on set or as indiv. DVD/downlowd

I'm going to be doing this one early tomorrow morning. Since I have some time now before having to head out, and because I'm really liking this program so far & am curious, I'm posting the Intermediate workout breakdown below.

* Length: 51:04
* Led by Erin and Lacey. Matt, Kathryn, Katie in background
* Ab work (marching) - :57. Off the board & on the floor. From table top position - Heal drops on floor, alternating legs.
* Bicycle - :46. Off the board & on the floor. Bicycle abs, alternating, nice slow pace. Can take legs out for modification.
* Elbow to Knee - 1:43. Off the board & on the floor. Tabletop position, alternate leg / arm out, bring in.
* Push Ups - :46. Off the board & on the floor. Down for 3, up for 1. Can modify on knees.
* Hamstring Heel Push - 1:10. Off the board & on the floor. Tabletop position. Leg up & hold, slow down. (kind of like fire hydrants, but back instead of to the side). Then mini pulses with same leg.
* Hamstring Heel Push - 1:20. As above, but other leg.
* Prisoner Squats - 1:31. Off the board. Fingers behind head, squat down, up on toes.
* Jump Rope - 1:23. Off the board. Side to side jump roping. Option to stay low.
* Slide - 2:35. Modify by slowing down, speeding up. Arms to side like skating, or behind back.
* Static Squat with Mac Raise - :47. On board. With weights. Squat on board, one arm forward, other in side raise. Stays on same side.
* Static Lunge with Chest Press - :52. Turn on board, static lunge. Chest press low, mid, high.
* Static Squat with Mac Raise - :47. As per above, but opposite side.
* Static Lunge with Chest Press - :52. Opposite leg in front in static lunge on board. Chest press as per above. Can modify off of the board
* Bicep Curls - :52. On board. Balance with one leg up, bicep curls in both arms. Option to do with both legs down, or to lower leg you are balancing on & raise it with bicep curls (ie single leg squat).
* Kick Backs - 1:31. On board. Step to side twice, kick one leg back off board (back lunge), 4 kick backs with arms. Repeat. Can modify off of the board.
* Bicep Curls - :52. As per above. Balance on opposite leg.
* Kick Backs - 1:29. As per above.
* Sliding Push Up - :48. Put hand mitts on. Knees on floor. Hands on board. Table top hands, or just slide out into into 90 degree push up. Brief stretch at end
* Double Leg Push Pull - :32. Knees at end of board, hands off board on floor. Legs back & in for 5, to one side back & in for 5, other side back & in for 5.
* Mountain Climbers - :52. On board, hands off side. (they say it's 30 seconds, but timer says :52).
* Slide - 2:19. Can modify as per above.
* Reverse Lunge with Overhead Press - :48. On board, weights in hands. One leg back, both arms up into overhead press. Repeat with same leg Can modify with no weights, or alternate arms up.
* Inner thigh - 1:10. On board, legs out for two, in for two. Can do with arms out and in (elbows at side) as well with weights.
* Reverse Lunge with Overhead Press - :48. Opposite leg back, rest as per above.
* Inner thigh - 1:02. As per above.
* Squat and Row - 1:07. On board, squat, row, rise to top.
* Static Squat and Row - :36. Static squat on board, rows.
* Core drag - 1:18. Mitts on hands. Knees off side of board. Arms forward and back on board for 2. Modify to make harder by putting knees further back, or alternate arms.
* Tricep dips - 1:04. On board with mitts on hands and feet. Dip. Can modify with keeping bum on board, or off side of board. Can make harder by lifting leg.
* Mountain climbers - :47. Hands off side of board, mountain climbers on board. Can speed up to modify.
* Plank - 1:10. Off the board. Plank on knees, or on toes to make more challenging.
* Elbow to Knee - 1:08. Off the board, on the floor. On side, top leg extended, long arm, bring elbow to knee. Then side leg lift from side plank position.
* Elbow to Knee - 1:10. As per above, opposite side.
* Vertical lift - :35. Crunch position on floor, legs up, weight in hands & lift up.
* Cool down - 3:34. Lay straight out on floor. Knees into chest, rock side to side. Knees to side, stretch to release back. Hip flexor stretch. Knees to other side, stretch to release back. Hip flexor stretch other side. Sitting, legs out wide, reach in front. Stretch to right, arm up & over. Switch sides. Stand. Quad stretch right. Right leg behind for runners stretch, arm up & twist. Switch sides. Upper back stretch with arms in front, chest with arms in back. Neck stretch forward. Twist.

Pros
* This workout is hardcore - I loved it!
* Favorite moves - hamstring heel push, static lunge with chest press, double leg push pull (yowza!), reverse lunge with overhead press, vertical lift, inner thigh (can tell this one will really work!), squat and row, and of course sliding. It is definitely a total body workout.
* Same pleasant, no nonsense instructor style as the other Obsidian workouts I've done so far. I really enjoy not having someone bellow at me. They are encouraging.
* Even though there isn't a lot of sliding, I could really feel the resistance of the board during the different moves that were done on it, especially the lunges and inner thigh moves. Seriously, there is nothing like doing mountain climbers on this thing.
* There isn't any jumping like on the Pure Cardio workout, other than the jump rope moves, which are really easy to modify.
* Nice, even pace throughout - no jerky movements, but you really get your heart rate going.
* I love that it combines cardio and weights.
* Same timer and alert to upcoming moves.

Cons
* Less than 5 minutes sliding. But...you can add in intervals during or after the workout to suit your needs.
* Other than that, I can't really think of anything. This is my favorite of the three I've done so far (Beginner, Pure Cardio, and this).

Last edited by soccergal23; 12-24-13 at 11:31 AM. Reason: added in post-workout info on 24 Dec 2013
soccergal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 05:26 PM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

soccergal23, thanks so much for taking the time to detail out the workouts. Very helpful.
Old 12-23-13, 11:00 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Thanks for the breakdowns Soccergal! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on that one!!

Tags
buyobsidian, obsidian, obsidian fitness, obsidian slide, slide board, ultraslide