sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 02:18 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Sherry, I had a few more alternative practice type thoughts:
a massage would be great too!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 02:20 PM  
winnie_p
VF Supporter

Sherry, I'm sorry you're having a hard time!

I have recently discovered that I sleep much better, more deeply, and for a longer time without waking up if my dinner includes something starchy or something sweet. Better yet, both, but no caffeine. I don't need a big dinner, but eating the present-day standard healthy protein and veggies without something starchy truly makes me sleep worse. I notice it more and more and try to make sure to include rice, pasta, bread, or potatoes and a little bite of something sweet. Ice cream works especially well. Or cake. Chocolate doesn't seem to work well, but maybe it's due to caffeine? My husband always swears by a banana with a little bit of honey and milk to knock you out.

I hope you find relief!
winnie_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-13, 12:21 AM  
Genevieve M

I struggled with insomnia and anxiety for a lot of reasons a few years ago and found that acupuncture really helped. When you get stuck with needles in the earlobes, it stimulates endorphins. And no, it doesn't hurt! I remember having the most wonderful sleep after these sessions. I only had three sessions, but the quality of my life improved dramatically.

Also, have you looked into having a sleep study?

Best of luck with this. I know how hard it is. Keep us posted.
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-13, 07:23 AM  
cfwb

I'm sorry you're having sleeping problems - I can completely understand. I keep having problems even when I do all the things "they" say you're supposed to. I also figure that my sleep issues are a symptom of something else being off kilter, and I hate to hide those other issues with drugs unless there are no other options.

Journaling helps, and I found some good advice in Deepak Chopra's "Restful Sleep" book, too.
cfwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-13, 07:51 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve M View Post
I struggled with insomnia and anxiety for a lot of reasons a few years ago and found that acupuncture really helped. When you get stuck with needles in the earlobes, it stimulates endorphins. And no, it doesn't hurt! I remember having the most wonderful sleep after these sessions. I only had three sessions, but the quality of my life improved dramatically.
When I book an acupuncture, I know to clear the rest of my day. I come home as limp as a wet noodle. DH needs to go get takeout. I eat and go to bed!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-13, 08:40 AM  
goldillocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
a massage would be great too!
Exactly ! A massage, a foot rub and a glass of warm milk should work wonders
goldillocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-13, 09:17 AM  
NRGWoman

I have a similar problem and have had for years. I have a "circadian rhythm disorder" so my body doesn't quite know what time it is. After fighting it for decades and being miserable every day I finally gave in and rearranged my day to start later. I understand that not everyone can do this (I have no kids, and my husband is very self-sufficient). I have felt so much better, been happier, and my household is much less stressed. And after being really honest with everyone in my life for a couple of years, people don't expect me to be up and functional at the time everyone else is.

I hope you find a solution that works for you, it is miserable when you can't sleep chronically

Your future isn't written yet, your future is what you make it, so make it a good one. - Dr. Emmett Brown, Back to the Future III

What would happen if everyday I woke up and I did everything in my power to change my life? How would my life be different in a month, a year? - Liz Murray, Homeless to Harvard
NRGWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-13, 03:12 PM  
Sara1000

What has helped me and I had a BIG problem:
Melatonin
Magnesium
Any OTC sleeping product break in half even if you're supposed to take 2.

Amazon has tons of sleep inducing downloads for 99 cents each - you can listen to samples.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insomnia, james knight, somatic yoga