Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-13, 09:04 AM  
ncl

What kind of ball do you use for Barre workouts?

I've noticed some of them use a ball...what are you guys using and where did you get it? I am starting to do barre and love it and thought I might invest in a ball. What size is yours? How much give does it have?

I have looked into a Bender Ball and a p57 ball.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 09:08 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I use my P57 ball. It came with my DVDs (though I understand the ball they're selling with the current QVC sets is not the same as the original ball.)

I think it's about 7-8 inches in diameter. Honestly, you can find a kids play ball for way, way, way less than the balls that are sold for exercise, and they're basically the same thing.

A word on inflation: I noticed at the Physique 57 studios, the balls were not inflated very much, in fact they were quite squishy. Don't feel the need to inflate to the point where the ball is really taut.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 09:36 AM  
Sissy B

I have a Scooby Doo playground ball that I got at Academy.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 10:04 AM  
SpiritSong

I use an underinflated Fluidity ball.
Old 04-13-13, 10:07 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncl View Post
I've noticed some of them use a ball...what are you guys using and where did you get it? I am starting to do barre and love it and thought I might invest in a ball. What size is yours? How much give does it have?

I have looked into a Bender Ball and a p57 ball.
I have both of these as well as the Fluidity ball. They seem pretty much the same size. The Bender Ball doesn't hold air very well, but both Fluidity and P57 do.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 10:25 AM  
JustSandra

I like the mini Fitball. It is very squishy and has a slightly tacky surface. I believe it is basically the same as the Bender ball. You can find it for under $10 at Amazon.

Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/FitBall-Mini-E...s=mini+fitball

ETA: My mini Fitball holds air very well. It also inflates easily with a plastic straw (included).

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 11:58 AM  
slysam

When I bought the first set of P57 dvds it came with a ball and pump. I just use that ball and I actually have not reinflated it yet even though I have had it for three years now. (I think). I have it slightly under-inflated too.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 12:01 PM  
topfitmama

I think the ball I have is very similar to the mini fitball. I got it from the sports department of our local shopping center for €6. It's squishy, soft, and has a slightly sticky feeling surface. It's not truly sticky, it just has that feel, and it stays behind the knee a lot better than my overball ever did.
I want to get a slightly smaller one. This one is a bit too big for my short legs and I find I start cramping when I have it behind my knee.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 12:31 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSandra View Post
I like the mini Fitball. It is very squishy and has a slightly tacky surface. I believe it is basically the same as the Bender ball. You can find it for under $10 at Amazon.
Yep, this is what I've used the most & liked the best!

I've also used a smooth, Disney Princess playground ball (soft plastic), but it was just okay.
I had a bumpy rubber-type kickball/playground ball, but it was always too hard to squeeze.

I have a smaller ball (5 or 7" maybe) that is like the mini Fitball; I think it's Stott Pilates. I used it for Pure Barre Pershing dvds (to go behind my knee -- I much prefer it to Pure Barre's mini playground ball, which is that hard rubber-type). Heck, I prefer using a small pillow to their ball.

But the mini Fitball is the hands-down favorite for behind the back or between the thighs!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 04:55 PM  
Gancho Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSandra View Post
I like the mini Fitball. It is very squishy and has a slightly tacky surface.
I love the mini Fitball too!

---
http://livingroomathlete.blogspot.com/

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Gancho Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bender ball, mini ball, pilates ball