Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-11, 02:40 AM  
AMANDASMITH911

Questions about starting over and working out with physical limitation

I need to start my video fitness library all over. I have a physical limitation in my left arm. I have not exercised in 6 months. I used to lift weights, loved tae-bo, leslie sansone with resistance belt and Cathe, but those days are gone. I can't bear weight on my left arm so no weight lifting, no push ups, no planks no resistance belt. I can lift 2 to 3 pound repetedly with my arm and up to 7 pounds for a one time deal. My arm also does not bend and flex quite fully and it hurts off and on all the time, so I can't do any punching or fast and furious arm movements. I guess I need low impact now too. Also I am not real "dancy", which is why I loved tae bo.

Besides Leslie Sansone, can anyone tell me what other exercise videos might be gentler or easily modified?

Thank you, Amanda

On my way to a better me!!
AMANDASMITH911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 06:17 AM  
xanna
VF Supporter

I like to use Charlene Prickett workouts for cardio, she doesn't do much with her arms other than what thet would naturally do during a walk, this was one of the reasons I liked her cardio. I too have an arm issue (shoulder), that won't be improving so I'm looking forward to what others suggest. Just remembered Cardio Coach is a great cardio w/o that doesn't have any instructions to move your arms in certain way, normal swaying.
xanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 08:26 AM  
in paris

My first fitness video after shattering my left elbow was Tracy Anderson's Mat (I just didn't do the part on all fours and/or modified to do it over a chair initially). It was lovely, not too taxing, but still upbeat.

The unweighted arm section is still one of my favourite and I do it frequently to relieve pain in the arm. It also helped release my shoulder which had been hunched over for months, protecting my arm from being jostled... Honestly, the video is worth it for this part alone, imo!

My first cardio was Hip Hop Abs and I still adore it. Shaun T kept me going, even when I was pretty miserable. Some of the moves use the arms a bit, but just add them at your own pace.

For toning, there is also Callanetics -- moves I did very early on after the injury to keep my lower body toned.

I would start slowly and work your way up. Don't get too frustrated either!

Recovery from what sounds like an elbow injury is very slow and very painful. The more you use it, though, the faster it heals. Just use it wisely! And stay away from weights altogether right now. When you do use them, go slower than the tapes and keep the weights very light.

You've made the first step by asking. No just go slow and try not to be frustrated that you can't do what you used to do. I know that is maddening! Before you know it, you'll be able to do some of your old tapes, albeit with modifications.

It will get better!
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 09:11 AM  
Sophie

I'm sorry you're dealing with injury - it's always a challenge starting over and finding what will help heal without aggravating it.

In addition to what others have suggested (I really like Charlene Prickett and cardio coach too), how about Classical Stretch? There are about a zillion recent threads on it right now. It can be very effective post-injury because of the constant but controlled movement, and can be helpful in restoring range of motion in injured joints. It can also be modified fairly easily if something doesn't feel right.

Barre might work for you if you leave out the plank stuff for now - so any barre that can be done in segments, like Core Fusion or Ballet body - might be useful.

Good luck, I wish you well in getting back into a routine you enjoy.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 09:40 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Love love love Classical Stretch. It's been my mainstay since last fall (hi Sophie!) and I am working around injuries.

Have you thought also of Powerfit or Powerfit Harmony with Stephanie Huckabee? More traditional exercises with bands but very gentle and you can make the workout as easy or hard as you want to.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 10:01 AM  
a_real_twit
VF Supporter

How about some low impact step aerobics - you can just modify any arm movements or just eliminat the arm movements.

Consider Gin Miller's Simply Step Classic Moves and maybe Cathe's Basic Step.

Good luck!
Old 04-19-11, 10:49 AM  
Michele S

Hi Amanda,

I have left arm issues too because of my breast cancer surgery and reconstruction. My range-of-motion is limited; I can't work it to fatigue (risk for lymphedema); and I can't support my body weight on it. (I also have pec issues on both sides.)

For cardio: I do lots of walking, either outside, on the treadmill, or with Leslie. I do step with just the bench (no risers)... mainly Cathe but also Christi. I go to the gym and to step there too as well as water aerobics. Right now, I still can't do anything "bouncy" but I don't miss it much.

I struggle with strength training. I have found that I can do PFH (upper body) with the lightest (pink... ugh) band so long as I ditch the band for the pec work. I also can do Leslie walking with 1-2# weights. I recently branched out to Ellen-- I like Skinny Sculpt (no push-ups!) and Crunch Burn and Firm Pilates. Just the other day someone commented on my arm definition! So, my bat-wing isn't too floppy!!

When doing yoga, I can't do down-dogs or planks. Cathe's Stretch Max doesn't have many of either. I hang in "rag-doll" when she's in down-dog. Rainbeau Mars Pure Tranquility has nothing that requires you to support your body on your arms. I like that DVD. In fact, it credit it with helping me regain lots of range of motion in that left arm-- to the point that I'm considered "functional"-- whatever that means.

I hope you find something that works... It is very difficult to restart (and restart and restart) but it is worth it-- I promise! I have had to restart so many times... after chemo and then 6 different surgeries. I'm an expert restater! LOL! Each time I dread it but it feels so goooood to get back into a *normal* routine.

Go for it!!

xxoo, Michele
Old 04-19-11, 02:23 PM  
Fitmama

I was looking for a dvd on Barnes and Noble website and I found this dvd:

Alicethenics: Exercises to Increase Freedom of Movement After Breast Surgery

I don't know anything about it but perhaps it might be something you could use?

Live Kidney Donor April 2014 - Donate and save a life!
Fitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 02:33 PM  
Michele S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitmama View Post
I was looking for a dvd on Barnes and Noble website and I found this dvd:

Alicethenics: Exercises to Increase Freedom of Movement After Breast Surgery

I don't know anything about it but perhaps it might be something you could use?
Tracy- I think the OP has an arm injury... But, I appreciate the recommendation! (I don't want to hijack the thread!)
xxoo
Old 04-19-11, 02:35 PM  
zoegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele S View Post
I recently branched out to Ellen-- I like Skinny Sculpt (no push-ups!) and Crunch Burn and Firm Pilates. Just the other day someone commented on my arm definition! So, my bat-wing isn't too floppy!!
I was also going to suggest Ellen Barrett as an instructor with gentler workouts that still pack a punch! I think they could be easily modified to the range of motion that you have in your arms. Good luck!
zoegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
restarting, starting over, target specifics plus, working with limitations