Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-11, 08:38 PM  
lorajc

If You Use Fusion Workouts - Examples of your Week

and yes Sunday (you have definitely created a monster)

Sunday's post about how much she enjoys fusion workouts and how she doesn't do traditional cardio any longer has really got me thinking (still).

I'm very intrigued by this. I was just curious, for those of you that use a lot of fusion workouts (in addition to or in place of your other workouts - it can be that you do traditional workouts and fusion or just straight, cardio, pilates, yoga, whatever, etc), will you kindly give me examples of your week?

For example:

Total Body weights
cardio weights
Ballet
Pilates and Bellydance
Yoga
Ellen Barret workout
Plyo Pilates
rest day

and so on........

Also - one last question for Sunday - Have you played with your new Jennifer Kries HMCB workouts yet? How do you like them? What workouts are you adding on to with those bellydance fusion workouts with Suhalia?

ETA: The reason for this post is because I am becoming a real cardio hater these days.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 09:15 PM  
sunday

Hello!
I am very glad to contribute to a monster of this sort.

As for my belly dance tangent, I am totally loving it and getting into it. As someone on another thread said, belly dancing is addicting! I have recently added Neon and Michelle Joyce to my list. The way I use these is that I will do my normal workouts (pilates, ballet toning, light cardio, etc.) and then do belly dance as an add on to that. Since I'm so uncoordinated and new to it, I don't really count it as a workout, unless I'm doing a BD "workout" dvd like Suhaila's. I've been concentrating on form and technique with Michelle and Neon.

ETA: I did try my new HBCM, but I came to the conclusion that I like the old Method workouts best - with or without Jennifer. I like the whole tribal drumming thing and the quicker pace.
Hope that helps!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 09:19 AM  
lorajc

Sunday - yay....I'm so glad you've also discovered the wonder world of bellydance. I am totally obessed with it right now. I LOVE Rachel Brice, Sera Soltice and Shannon Kihara the most. I think I'm drawn towards Tribal Fusion style but I love all of it. I think I have acquired almost EVERYTHING out there (almost) already. I have 2 bookshelves full of BD already. I love it so much that's it all I want to do. I can't believe that it's opened up this entire world to me that I never knew existed. I even really enjoyed a segment on one of the DVDs (I work at a makeup counter - Clinique) they had the one dancer do the other one's face for stage makeup. I found it very entertaining.

Well, I bought a lot of the old Method ones after your last post and bought HBCM also. I was previewing it the other day and thought of you. I also just ordered the Rania pack from Amazon since I did one of her workouts as an add on the other day and it actually "was" a decent cardio workout....and I need more workouts versus instruction. Instruction ones don't raise your HR but they are necessary for me to learn proper form. I'm still having trouble with the 3/4 shimmy and layering moves....but I keep at it!

What are you adding BD onto? I need ideas. I usually just do them on a day and then count it as a rest day, but I'd like to do more!

ETA: Lately, all I've wanted to do is TA Mat work, occasional weight or cardio/weights, and bellydance. I really need to start fitting in Kundalini Yoga for my sanity and Pilates for my back!

oh...and there is a Ballet Bellydance workout available at Mary's site I think you'd like it translates ballet moves to bellydance moves. Check it out.
Old 03-20-11, 09:45 AM  
daisysunshine

my day:

Sunday: Kettlebell Workout + Barre Workout
Monday: Cardio Workout + Pilates Workout
Tuesday: Cardio Workout + Barre Workout
Wednesday: Kettlebell Workout + Pilates Workout
Thursday: Cardio Workout + Barre workout
Friday: Kettlebell Workout + Pilates Workout.
Saturday: rest

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 10:18 AM  
lorajc

dailysunshine - you have time to do all of that in one day? isn't that like 90 minutes of exercise a day?
Old 03-20-11, 11:12 AM  
daisysunshine

lorajc - yeah it is. the cardio sessions are usually 20ish minutes in length (30 min maximum) to keep the fatburning into pilates. Wednesdays I finish school before 12 (giving me more time) and Fridays I don't start school until 11 (giving me more time). I like working out for a long period time, if my body allows me

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 11:31 AM  
sunday

Hi Lorajc!

I can't believe you like BD too; how cool! I am *just* getting into it though, as in like this last week. I am struggling with figure 8s and mayas; my hips just don't want to move that way! But I love it, and I can usually tell if I love or hate something right away. And you're right, it is addictive!!! I will have to look at Rachel Brice; is she appropriate for beginners?

As for how I am using it, well, I'm still working on that. On weekends or when I'm off school, I will do 90 minute to 2-hour workouts. For example, yesterday I did The Method's Target Specifics, The Method's Integrated Yoga Workout One, then practiced with Neon in First Steps. The day before I did my favorite DOMS combo: Willpower and Grace Warm Up, Cardio, Stretch, Trudie's Pilates and then some BD practice with Neon.

On my regular school days, I will do a regular 45-minute workout then add BD to make it 60-70 minutes. Today I am going to try Michelle Joyce's Body by Bellydance and then add on something, probably Trudie's Weight Loss Yoga.

Also, I have the Ballet for Belly Dancers on its way.

As for you, what are your goal? Do you still need to lose weight? Firm up? Tone lower/upper body? If you are happy doing TA, BD and weights, then keep going until you naturally tire of it!!!!! Your body will tell you.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 08:27 PM  
lorajc

Sunday - alas, I don't have as much time as you to work out. Right now, we're in Gift at work, so I've been working 6 days a week, 9 hour days on my feet all day with only a very short break. On days I work, I only have 1 hour to workout, unless I don't hear my alarm (happens alot) and then I have less than an hour. On my day's off, it's pure bliss, cuz I can do my workout and then add on yoga and bellydance!! and workout for 2 hours.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of Integrated Yoga? Don't think I have that one.

RE: Rachel Brice, her DVD (listed below) is wonderful. It has segments where she does some drills and then you learn coreography. It also has 3 nice yoga segments on it. She has another drill like dvd out that has yoga on it that is more beginnerish...but not as good). I suppose you could get it (if you like the looks of it) and then have room to grow.

http://www.worlddancenewyork.com/pro...rice-2-dvd-set

Sera Soltice - love her personality and her Foundations DVD would be good to start with...although she doesn't give very detailed instruction

http://www.worlddancenewyork.com/pro...t-coast-tribal

and lastly, here's the Sharon Kihara one: (not much instruction on this one, but the coreography is a lot of fun - even though I can't do it all, I like to try). Fair warning, the song on this one will be stuck in your head all day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOLSD8nQCgs

Re: my goals. I would like to lose about 7 pounds or so to be at my ideal weight. I would like to have definition and some muscle....but more like a sleek, muscular dancer........like Karen Voight for example. I carry most of my weight from the waist down. Bellydancing really helps with my anxiety and depression which is worse right now from extreme stress at work and the fact that I'm just starting to go thru menopause (peri...technically).

So...what are the heaviest weights you lift? Do you only do Ellen Barret, Method types of sculpting like Pilates, etc?

Keep me posted on which dvds you acquire and how you like them. Feel free to PM me any time, as talking about bellydance dvds, etc is one of my favorite pastimes!! LOL
Old 03-20-11, 08:44 PM  
hotncmom

Last week:

M: Booty Barre + 20 minutes TA Dance
T: Trudie Styler Core Strength Pilates + 10 minutes rebounding
W: High & Tight + Ruah Release Upper Body + 1.5 mile walk
Th: AM & Noon Yoga from Yoga Journal (40 min) + Shaun T. Party Express + one hour of Dance Central for Kinect
F: 30 minute walk/run (DS's school Fun Run)
S: 40 minute walk + PiYo Lesson 8 + Classical Stretch segment from Youtube

I think there was some other dog walking in there but that's the jist of it.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 08:56 PM  
lorajc

Sunday - I forgot also to tell you about a fusion DVD that has upper body weighted segment in it also. Fat Chance Bellydance, Woman Power workout with Karen Andes (remember her from long ago?) I think she was on one of the original Cher workouts and then she had some ball workouts after that. It has a bellydance segment, stretching, warmup and upper body weight segment. It's available at FCB.com

Also, do you have any of Bernadette Giorgi's workouts? I hear they are a fusion of Pilates and Ballet.

HotNCmom- that looks like a good week of variety!! What are your goals and how old are you? Just curious. thanks in advance

Tags
fusion, fusion workouts, new method 20/20, rockin body, rockin' body, the method, trudie styler