Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-14-11, 02:30 PM  
Hazel Porter

You know, I remember going to a fitness conference maybe 6 or 7 years ago, when BOSU was first being introduced, and more than one presenter suggested to people that they NOT suddenly be all BOSU all the time, lest the BOSU go the way of the slide.

Seems the general consensus was the slide was just too hard and/or boring for most people to do continuously for 30+ minutes. I'm sure the skill level had something to do with it as well.

But I don't think it's shtick -- speed skaters throughout the ages can't be entirely wrong, can they?
Old 02-14-11, 02:37 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I love the slide! I've been thinking about trying it again. It works the lower body and core amazingly well.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 02:57 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I once had The Slide - maybe the same one as you, Renda? It was made by The Step company, and had one bumper that you could adjust by popping it into a pair of holes. The holes ripped before long. I got it on closeout somewhere, and mainly wanted to use it for the slide portion of Christi's CIA 7002 (that portion was omitted from Humble Beginnings).

My favorite slide workout was Step & Slide, by Linda McHugh. She did intervals of stepping and sliding. I still have it and tried it using gliding disks, but it wasn't the same. You have to push off from the bumper, slide across and close your legs - a three-part movement.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 05:27 PM  
Barbara P
VF Supporter

there isn't much variety with it, but it can be a workout.

I never owned one, but where I worked for years had a fitness center. Sometimes we would do circuit workout with stations - different exercises at each station for like a minute or two, and we would rotate around the circuit (I LOVED those days...) anyway one station always had the slide and I always felt it in my inner thighs the next day.
Old 02-14-11, 05:39 PM  
PhyllisG

There is a workout coming out--hopefully soon--that uses a slide. It is BeyondBarre and there is a clip on youtube. It looks great and I am very interested. I never had a slide so it is new to me. I have been keeping my eye out for a deal but nothing so far. My local thrift stores have absolutely NOTHING when it comes to fitness whether it be equipment or DVDs.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 05:58 PM  
F1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan View Post
Isn't there a barre workout coming out soon that will incorporate the slide?
ROFL! Rose, are you trying to start something? I cannot imagine that thread.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 06:55 PM  
Helen

I have a very old video with Andre Houle & Patrick Wade. It has four parts including step and THE SLIDE!! The other 2 are weights & I can't remember.
I've never seen one IRL though - I've done the workout, but for the slide bit, did plyo side lunges or something.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 07:00 PM  
shortie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan View Post
Isn't there a barre workout coming out soon that will incorporate the slide?
Yes -- Barre Amped, right?
shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 07:24 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I had slides years ago (yes, I tried several different ones).
IMO, it's great for the inner and outer thigh, can be used for 'skater' moves (maybe in Tabata style) and, as mentioned above, for some moves you use Gliding discs or Valslides for.

The trouble I had was that the things never stayed in place.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 07:44 PM  
Buzzer

AUGH! I had the youtube Beyond Barre clip bookmarked since i bought a slide at Goodwill just in anticipation of that workout... and the youtube clip has been REMOVED!!!
AAAUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!
I have a slide. It's "new" in the box with a lady in a leotard on the slide. It didn't come with a VHS, but it is perma rolled since it's been rolled for about 20-something years.
I have taken it out and used it a few times, however I don't reach for it much. I keep thinking I should use it for mountain climbers and such...
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide board