Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-15-10, 04:18 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Of these, I very much prefer Moira and Ellen over Mari and Jennifer. I own and do workouts by all of them, and have since before their workouts came on DVDs, but I rarely do Mari and Jennifer, even though I have workouts by each I like, and often do Moira and Ellen, though I don't like everything by either of them. Some of that is just based on personality as I find Mari and Jennifer frequently grating.

But most of my Pilates now days is one-on-one lessons of classic style equipment and mat work at a studio that's a teacher training center for Romana. On video I go for more classic style work or something more definitely fusion like Ellen does rather than modified Pilates. The only real difference I find in Sott is the order of the moves and I'm OK with that since I still get mixed up on the order sometimes. Mari and Jennifer's routines are fine for me but not their presentation. Mari comes off too loud and Jennifer a bit egotistical. Ellen's just fun and I get to use my Pilates strengths and skills.

And I really believe if you know what you're doing you can make even the most beginner workout a challenge based on form. But that kind of form can be very hard to pick up from videos (after 5 years my instructor still makes lots of little tweaks to my form, not to mention the days I just show up crooked or stiff) so I understand why the classic or beginner workouts don't give a lot of home exercisers what they want from them.

PS Back when I did more video than studio Pilates, the 15 minute core of Hilary's Beginner DVD routine was my most often done add-on-a-short-mat-routine video, though I was doing it with the more low intermediate moves I'd learned in previous lessons. She studied under a different system than either Stott or Romana (the one out of Colorado I forget the name of) but her work is based on classic style.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 05:24 PM  
alisoncooks

Never tried Stott, but have enjoyed all my Mari's. Never tried Kries, but have semi-enjoyed Ellen...but not enough to keep her.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 05:35 PM  
suegy3

Stott and Kries.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 06:04 PM  
Arielle96

Stott Pilates
&
Jennifer Kries...LOVE HER!!
Arielle96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 06:14 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Ellen Barrett, Jules Benson and Bernadette Giorgi.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 06:17 PM  
cherimac

Mari Winsor over Stott.

Definitely Ellen Barrett over Jennifer.

I'm not a classical, pilates purist, I like pilates blends and fusion workouts. I also really like Bernadette Giorgi's pilates.
Old 03-15-10, 06:32 PM  
Demeris

Winsor
Ellen
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 07:31 PM  
HelloKitty88

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arielle96 View Post
Stott Pilates
&
Jennifer Kries...LOVE HER!!
Yeah, she's great. I love her Method Precision Yoga dvd. Its a beginner yoga workout but, I don't even care as she is so good on it and I love her teaching style.

Moira Stott I liked right away. I know some say she's "dry" but I love her way of teaching and her instruction. It clicked with me right away. I've never used any other pilates workouts except for Stott's, Kries and I like Karen Voights pilates workouts.

I like Ellen but she doesn't seem to keep me engaged like the two instructors above. But, I enjoy Ellen...I think she is very sweet and you can tell she'd probably be very nice if you'd meet her.
HelloKitty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 07:55 PM  
J'Ann

Ellen, because she's not boring, it keeps moving.

J'Ann
J'Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 08:35 PM  
Arielle96

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty88 View Post
Yeah, she's great. I love her Method Precision Yoga dvd. Its a beginner yoga workout but, I don't even care as she is so good on it and I love her teaching style.

Moira Stott I liked right away. I know some say she's "dry" but I love her way of teaching and her instruction. It clicked with me right away. I've never used any other pilates workouts except for Stott's, Kries and I like Karen Voights pilates workouts.

I like Ellen but she doesn't seem to keep me engaged like the two instructors above. But, I enjoy Ellen...I think she is very sweet and you can tell she'd probably be very nice if you'd meet her.
You must be my Pilates dopleganger.

I have all of Jennifer's workouts...even the new Master Trainers Set and she just gets better and better. Love Moira too
Arielle96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical pilates, ellen barrett, jennifer kries, mari winsor, moira stott merrithew, pilates, stott, stott pilates, winsor