Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-30-20, 09:15 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I had my first injection yesterday. Wow it hurt, I thought it would be like a flu shot. Anyway my arm was very sore and in the afternoon I got very fatigued and had to just rest and go to bed early. Today I'm just fine - great actually from actually letting myself rest.

My husband gave me a hard time about it though. Whatever, it's my body and my gut instinct is to do what my rheumatologist recommended.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-20, 10:18 PM  
Tammie M

I am thankful for this thread. My doctor has been pressuring me for over a year to get the vaccinations. This thread helped me be mentally prepared for them. I reluctantly got my first vaccination yesterday. I think I was close to hyperventilating when the needle approached my arm. I took ibuprofen an hour before the injection and I think it helped. I came home and did a CS workout. Late in the evening I started feeling a little soreness in my arm so I put some arnica cream on it. I took more ibuprofen before bedtime. My arm is still a little sore today so I have applied more cream. I did another CS workout and a short Turbo Jam workout today. I had a faint headache but so far nothing else.

I am still worried about the 2nd injection since most of the articles I've read indicate it has more side effects. Maybe it has more impact because there is still some leftover in your body from the first one? I think you are supposed to get the 2nd one 2 - 6 months after the first. I am wondering if it might reduce your chance if more severe side effects if you wait until 4 or 5 months to get the second.
Tammie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-20, 05:59 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammie M View Post

I am still worried about the 2nd injection since most of the articles I've read indicate it has more side effects. Maybe it has more impact because there is still some leftover in your body from the first one? I think you are supposed to get the 2nd one 2 - 6 months after the first. I am wondering if it might reduce your chance if more severe side effects if you wait until 4 or 5 months to get the second.
I think everyone responds differently. I had very mild side effects after the first dose and none besides a very sore arm after the second one. My second dose was three months after the first.

It's a strange feeling getting the vaccine and not knowing what to expect! Glad your first dose went well.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-20, 06:24 AM  
Carol K

My husband and sister had experiences similar to yours Erica. It's been very surreal reading these responses.
Old 02-21-20, 10:31 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammie M View Post
My husband had the shots 5 1/2 months apart and still had more symptoms with the second shot.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-20, 10:44 AM  
Leonana

My doctor ordered mine, but not sure when I will get the prescription for it. She asked me if I wanted it, and I mentioned that I had read about it on this thread. I appreciate everyone posting their experiences and the reasons for getting the vaccination. I'm not sure I would have been informed enough to get it otherwise.

I did get shingles when I was around 45 or so, but it was a mild case. I had some lesions around my right side, but ibuprofen was enough for the pain. I was more natural oriented at the time, and went to a naturopath. She did give me a spray for viruses that seemed to dry it up and keep it comfortable. I'm not sure if it had an effect, or I just had a mild case. However, I'm 60 now, and I don't want to take the chance of an even worse case.
Old 02-21-20, 12:25 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Re side effects, I had worse side effects with the first one, practically none with the second. I had them 6 months apart.

My husband experienced zero side effects aside from slight arm soreness.

I just remembered we're due for our 2nd Pneumonia vaccines this month.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-20, 07:18 PM  
Erica H.

DH had his first shot on Friday afternoon and developed mild flu-like symptoms that night. He was pretty miserable Saturday morning and then perked up a bit after that. It's Sunday night and the symptoms are fewer and they come and go - mostly on and off chills and aches. He tends to get reactions to vaccines so we did expect him to not do well with this one.

I had both my doses last year (with almost no side effects other than a sore arm) but never had chicken pox as a child and ended up getting the vaccine as an adult after a blood test proved I never had the virus. Now I'm wondering if I didn't even need the Shingrix vaccine since I didn't have chickenpox?

ETA: Over 48 hours and DH still has a low-grade fever, aches, chills...poor guy!

Erica
Old 03-08-20, 09:16 PM  
Carol K

It sounds to me like you needed the chickenpox vaccine. People don't get shingles if they've never had chickenpox, but they can get chickenpox if they are exposed to someone with shingles.
Old 03-09-20, 04:56 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
It sounds to me like you needed the chickenpox vaccine. People don't get shingles if they've never had chickenpox, but they can get chickenpox if they are exposed to someone with shingles.
I did get the vaccine as an adult, but then got Shingrix last year and now I wonder if it wasn't needed.

Erica

Tags
auto-immune disorder, shingles, shingrix, vaccines, zostavax