Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-04-19, 12:57 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

james knight somatic yoga - his DVDs vs. youtube videos

hi - i've been reading a lot of comments about james knight's gentle somatic yoga.

can someone compare his 2 DVD series vs. his videos on youtube? are they the same content?

regarding the DVDs, are they DVD-R format and are they chaptered? how many minutes of content are on each? are both series the same? what years were they released?

the two DVD series i'm referring to are:
  • Gentle Yoga Through Somatic Exploration
  • Gentle Somatic Yoga (the sequel)

also, if anyone has more detailed reviews, please post them on the VF review page.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-19, 12:28 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Gentle Yoga through Somatic Exploration (2011) and Gentle Somatic Yoga (2013) are both two-DVD sets, both are DVD-R, and they’re chaptered. I've used GYSE a ton, and it's held up well despite being DVD-R. The lower extremities series is like magic and fixes my piriformis issues every time. I took a quick peek at the YT videos, and it looks like there's a few segments from the DVDs, but not the complete routines. For instance, I recognized the older guy from GYSE, who had problems with frozen shoulder. Hope that helps!

Here’s the breakdown:

Gentle Yoga through Somatic Exploration

Disk 1
Intro (00:58)
Relaxation and Practice Preparation (exercises to relieve tension in neck and shoulders) (24:33)
Full Body Series (focuses on repatterning) (28:02)
Credits (1:02)

Disk 2
Upper Extremities (30:39)
Lower Extremities (28:42)
Relaxing Meditation (15:03)

Gentle Somatic Yoga (sorry, didn't note the times on these disks)

Disk 1
Disclaimers and Recommendations
Intro
Tips & Guidelines
Warming Up
Neck, Shoulders & Hands
Complete Back

Disk 2
Hips, Legs, Knees & Feet
Integration Sequence
Credits
Testimonials—on a separate menu, about 6 minutes

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-19, 01:00 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Joan, you're a doll - thank you! I've seen your comments in the older threads about this series.

based on your reply, i'm seriously thinking of getting the 1st set - it seems to have a lot of content too, which is nice.

is GYS (the sequel) worth getting? how different is it compared to the first? the only source seems to be his own personal website. the yogajp.com site doesn't sell his DVDs, although they have links to his youtube workouts on their site.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-19, 01:08 PM  
MsThistlebottom

You're very welcome. To be fair, I haven't used GYS very much, but if I had to make a comparison and recommend one, it would be the first one, GYSE. If I have time, I do all of disk 2 for a long practice. But usually I combine the lower extremities segment with the meditation, which is a very nice combo.

I think Knight is a great teacher. He has a calming demeanor and reminds me of Lee Holden.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
james knight, somatic yoga