Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-16, 09:00 PM  
lorajc

Somatics with Martha Peterson?

Just Curious if anyone has ever tried this Method for injuries, chronic pain, etc. Looks very interesting.....expensive though. Have you ever heard of Somatics?

http://essentialsomatics.com/hanna-s...ucation-store/
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-16, 06:28 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
Just Curious if anyone has ever tried this Method for injuries, chronic pain, etc. Looks very interesting.....expensive though. Have you ever heard of Somatics?

http://essentialsomatics.com/hanna-s...ucation-store/
I dipped my toes in Somatics last winter. I suspect there's some good stuff there, but I found that the Somatics work wasn't all that different from Classical Stretch and that T-Tapp incorporates the understanding of the body that Somatics touts. Sandra Hanna has incorporated a number of the Somatics movements into her Callanetics work.

There's a ton of stuff on you tube. I suspect you would find everything Martha Peterson teaches up on youtube. She's only one of many, many Somatics practitioners.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-16, 07:29 AM  
cyana

James Knight has some very nice practices on You Tube if you'd like to get a feel for Somatics. Unfortunately for me, a number of his practices are over an hour long, so I don't have the opportunity to use them frequently. He also has some shorter focused You Tube videos, as well.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-16, 07:49 AM  
cyana

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyana View Post
James Knight has some very nice practices on You Tube if you'd like to get a feel for Somatics. Unfortunately for me, a number of his practices are over an hour long, so I don't have the opportunity to use them frequently. He also has some shorter focused You Tube videos, as well.
ETA: Here's the link to his You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/JamesKnightGYSE

I use this video when I need a quick mid-day neck break:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwXthw4u9uM

LOL....guess I hit Quote instead of Edit.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-16, 09:44 AM  
rosepetals

That DVD is terrible. It does exercises for one half of the body. You have to stop the DVD and remember how to do it for the other side. Somatic exercises are different than regular exercises. They have different steps and timing, so you need to be instructed.

I have 2 sets of Somatic DVDs from James Knight. His are well done. They work well at decreasing pain. The more often you do them, the better you feel. It is different from regular yoga. James Knight also has free workouts on youtube.

Somatic exercises are totally different from Classical Stretch and T-Tapp. It involves contracting and relaxing muscles in different poses or hold to make them more flexible. It retrains things so that you don't hurt. I found it very effective the first time I did it. T-Tapp never helped with pain. Classical Stretch does, but is more of a flowing workout. Somatic exercises are different from any other kind of exercise that I have done. All were done either on the floor or sitting.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
james knight, martha peterson, somatics, t-tapp results