Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-10, 07:26 PM  
dickensgirl

Check this out- new technique

Hey guys!!
Just read about this in Shape http://www.gstbody.com Sounds kind of awesome Guess our NYC/CA members will have to check it out for the rest of us!!!!
BTW: we move back home tomorrow

Jeri

Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did~ Mark Twain
dickensgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 07:37 PM  
hotncmom

That's pretty cool! Looks like a variation of Pilates Pole classes.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 07:38 PM  
howardrsh

Congratulations on your move back home, Jeri. Interesting website. I kept thinking "could I do some of these things with my Supreme Pilates machine??". As I read through the website, the creator is a pilates teacher. Hmmmm...it has me thinking about what I can do with what I already have....

Thanks for posting!

Robbin
howardrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 08:02 PM  
dickensgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardrsh View Post
Congratulations on your move back home, Jeri. Interesting website. I kept thinking "could I do some of these things with my Supreme Pilates machine??". As I read through the website, the creator is a pilates teacher. Hmmmm...it has me thinking about what I can do with what I already have....

Thanks for posting!

Robbin
Thanks, Robbin!!! We're actually kind of nervous- isn't that weird??!! I think we both have the fire at the back of our minds now, & it won't ever go completely away. We have to get a new washer/dryer, & DH is OBSESSED with venting it, & how to clean the vent, etc. even though it's electric & the fire WASN'T started by the old dryer!!!!

Jeri

Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did~ Mark Twain
dickensgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 06:34 AM  
Richie

I'm either way too cynical, in a bad mood or fed up of absolute crap being peddled as some kind of revolutionary exercise product. Maybe all 3.

Ugh! from the obviously GOOP inspired insipid website tabs (Know, Do, Be etc) to the pretentious BS spouted* and dreadful video clips that don't give you a clue about what the product is or what the technique is about (apart from apparently it looks "cool" to do it on a subway train and is just a fancy Pilates spring) I think this is a major fail!
That's before you even try to say the ridiculous name of it. Yeah, that'll have them queuing up!

Quote:
All exercise is not created equal. In our experience, virtually every exercise activity does little more than increase or decrease the amount of fat or muscle on your body. As soon as you stop the activity, your body loses the gains it made. The Grace Somatomorphic Technique (GSTŪ), created by Anna Rahe, is a revolutionary new movement system that changes, once and for all, the shape of your body. Anna created GST through the accumulation of her studies in various somatic disciplines as well as her journey of personal healing from severe body issues.
So, when you stop doing GST your body will magically hold onto the "gains it made"? That's the implication here. No thanks. Sounds like another load of Tracy Anderson-esque rubbish to me.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 01:49 PM  
Fitmaam

After doing Hanna Somatic exercise for a year I see the benefits in doing this and I would love it. I would definitely take a class if it were in my neck of the woods. The exercises are all about "feeling" the way your body is suppose to move which is a different way of training than traditional strengthening and stretching.

Tags
somatics, thomas hanna