Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-13, 06:33 AM  
andtckrtoo

Another vote for Skogg. His instruction is top notch, and as others have said, getting the 6 basic moves first is important. I did Interval 3 the other day and had all sorts of good sore the next day.
Old 05-30-13, 10:20 AM  
jessicavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA View Post
Though I can't stand her,Jillian Michaels got me hooked on kb's a few years ago. Her dvd is 2 30 min, easy and a great intro. I also have Skogg and he breaks it down nicely.
No offense to Marika's recommendation, but Jillian's kbell form was pretty awful. She demos her swing emphasizing a squat instead of a hip hinge. On her second workout she does what she calls a "swing thru" where she swings the kbell out in front of her then thru the legs bending her head/back to the floor and swinging the bell way behind her butt (huge ouch ). I've done the beginner workout from this DVD ignoring her poor form but that was way after I had seen proper form tutorials from RKC's, which Jillian is not as far as I know.

That said, you may want to try MB45 Essentials for $15 with 5 workouts and a tutorial. It's a great value for the money. Mark's instruction is pretty clear and the workouts were fun. No macho grandstanding, just encouraging and fresh.
http://mbodystrength.com/product_inf...products_id=43
jessicavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 11:00 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

I also recommend Kettlebells the Iron Core Way (Sarah Lurie).

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 11:33 AM  
kat_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicavi View Post
No offense to Marika's recommendation, but Jillian's kbell form was pretty awful. She demos her swing emphasizing a squat instead of a hip hinge. On her second workout she does what she calls a "swing thru" where she swings the kbell out in front of her then thru the legs bending her head/back to the floor and swinging the bell way behind her butt (huge ouch ). I've done the beginner workout from this DVD ignoring her poor form but that was way after I had seen proper form tutorials from RKC's, which Jillian is not as far as I know.
I remember thinking "Ugh" when I saw the clip when it came out, but what's funny is I recently saw this clip of Lauren's where they're now suggesting the bell start in front of the feet instead of aligned with the heel, which is what I learned in 2007, and they are advocating even more of a hinge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNJMGZTmmvg
Guess it's proof KBells are not in a vacuum: things are still changing as we learn more (likely b/c people with more body movement experience are weighing in). In another six months they'll go back to the old style...

With my joint issues, I'd personally avoid the CrossFit style(? where you bring the swing up to a higher plane: I mentally label that way b/c that's what someone said, but I could be wrong) swing in Lauren's first video.

ETA: Big fan of Skogg. I started with AoS's clinic (it matched instruction I got from the RKC I worked with), but Skogg's style fits me better (except for the warm up where he rolls across the chest. OW!!! Esp. at TTOM.
kat_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 11:45 AM  
baba

I like skogg too. But I use Steve cotter's form for snatch
baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 12:13 PM  
ktlc
VF Supporter

Skogg. I learned with Lauren Brooks and AOS Providence, but I think Michael Skoggs instruction is the best. Plus his form tips throughout all his workouts are excellent.

"The body achieves what the mind believes" - Unknown
ktlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 12:15 PM  
met fan

I'm a little confused about the Skogg dvd's. Is the at home phase 1 the beginners workout or do I need to get the system? What is the phase 1 dvd?
met fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 12:29 PM  
katmom

I think the original Skogg system is the best one for beginners. The Skogg @ Home set does have a tutorial for beginners, but some of the movements in these are more advanced and there really is not a modifier for beginners in the @ Home DVD's.
Old 05-30-13, 02:02 PM  
calendria

awesome thanx. will look at his website soon.
calendria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 09:51 PM  
Just_Jo

Skogg!!!
Just_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paul katami, skogg