Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-19, 11:24 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

are your workout sessions long or do you break it up?

Assuming your goal is to have 60 min of workout time doing a workout (as opposed to incidental *NEAT time), do you do everything in one whack or break it up?

"Long" is defined as 1 hour or more in one fell swoop, and breaking it up is defined as less than 1 hour but the sum = 1 hour or more in a given day.

i've gotten so accustomed to doing short workouts (30 min in AM, 30 in the PM) that i oftentimes never reach a full hour of exercise. and the only time i do a "long" workout is walking outside. i need to build up my mental focus to tackle some of my DVD workouts! i habitually break them up.

*non-exercise activity thermogenesis
https://www.acefitness.org/education...-thermogenesis

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 11:40 AM  
Sunshine

Smile Lately:

Since I can't work out during the week, on my days off from work I do Long workouts.
The goal is Total Body weights + cardio in one so-called weekend.

I do Upper body weights 30 min or so + cardio 30 to 45 min. = one day
and Lower Body + 30 to 45 min cardio = next day.

If I do circuit, instead of the usual 10 body parts, I try to do all body parts, that is rewinding etc.
sometimes,
Total body weights 1st day and all cardio the 2nd day.

I don't have the luxury of time, so I try to do everything in two days.
Of course, I will not lose weight that way.
But!! I stay in shape and helps me stay strong, and look good.

If I could work out 4 to 5 to 6 days a week at shorter sessions daily then I would definitely improve.
As it is, I am maintaining.

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 11:45 AM  
Lannette

I often do short workouts but one after the other. This morning I did about 25 minutes of Kundalini Yoga, then 20 minutes of Barlates, then 30 minutes of Essentrics. Later I’ll do more KY with my family and maybe some light cardio with them as well. So maybe 20-50 minutes more but light exertion.

One day a week it usually catches up to me and my sessions will be really short, 20 minutes in the morning and 15-20 with my family or I might skip the morning completely.

I also get used to what I most often do as far as time goes. I had to keep my workouts short for about 6 weeks and an hour felt so long.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 03:04 PM  
wendug

I work out usually 45 minutes to an hour all at one time. I tend to sweat a lot while working out and I don't want to take 2 showers in a day after exercising.
Old 10-03-19, 03:15 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I work out usually 45 minutes to an hour all at one time. I tend to sweat a lot while working out and I don't want to take 2 showers in a day after exercising.
That is me! I am also a morning person, and if I do not get a workout done early in the day I likely will not get it done at all.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 04:19 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I don't break up my workouts. I work out first thing in the morning and I do 45-60m workouts all at once. As much as I enjoy working out, I want to be done with it at one go.
Old 10-03-19, 04:47 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

I get up at 5:30 and workout for approx 60 minutes M-F. If I have more time I'll do a little longer workout. I have exercised early in the morning for so long now that my body craves it and I'm wide awake after I get up.

I also try to fit in 30-90 minutes of Yoga over my lunch break (I work from home) so I am super lucky that I have that extra time. Usually practice M-F for sure then sometimes on the weekends.

Aside from working outside in my yard/garden, my weekends are 'rest' days from formal workouts.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 05:49 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
I don't break up my workouts. I work out first thing in the morning and I do 45-60m workouts all at once. As much as I enjoy working out, I want to be done with it at one go.
I used to be this way when I first started working out AND my sons were 0-12 years old. I need to find my way back there!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 06:17 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I do one session, it could be anything from 30 minutes to an hour and a half. I like adding a longer stretch after my workouts 10 to 30 minutes. I also sweat a lot, and already shower twice a day, in the morning and after my workout in the afternoon.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 07:08 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

My workout sessions are short and broken up. Before retirement my workout sessions were an hour or more done late morning or late afternoon depending on my work schedule. I loved being immersed and committed.
Since retirement I thought I would have more time to work out. So wrong! DH now retired too and being a very early bird (which I am not) is setting the agenda with the help of our enthusiastic and energetic 🐕 into super early long morning walks. While I am grateful to have DH and our dog for out door time I feel tired and struggle to get a 30 min AM workout done (so glad KC-M is there) By afternoon I’m sleepy and or busy and struggle to get that PM workout done often just scraping in a stretch session. It feels like I’ve been dragged to ‘the dark side’.
I count the walk as exercise and bonding time but not working out time. I miss the committed feeling and I too need to find my way back.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
long workouts, short workouts, workout length