Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-19, 04:01 PM  
bfit

Having unexpected success with less cardio

For the past few weeks I've modified my long time exercise routine for a few reasons - a different work schedule, a change in the type of water aerobics class offered at my pool, and taking Bar Method classes 1 to 2 times a week. I used to do a big chunk of cardio like running or swimming or walking followed by more cardio like a Leslie workout followed by some toning with weights. Now I'm doing slightly longer sessions of cardio, but I don't have time for more cardio so I've been doing short Barlates type toning, short abs/core, the Bar classes, and a new water fitness class that is like interval training with a lot of toning. I'm more toned up, I've lost 2-3 pounds (although I am not really trying to lose weight), and I'm more flexible. I thought I was reducing exercise with this new schedule, but even so, it seems to be paying off. Just thought I'd share.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-19, 06:16 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Very cool -- congrats! Thanks for telling us -- always interesting when someone has that kind of experience.
Old 09-26-19, 06:19 PM  
s2546

What type of aerobics/cardio are you doing now? Length? Thanks

sue
s2546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-19, 07:01 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Thank you for sharing!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-19, 07:01 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

I've been pondering this very topic so much lately!! Over the last few months, I've changed my routine to substituting a lot of the crazy Cathe workouts I was doing (think extreme premixes on everything) for more of Leah's Ballet Body workouts.

At first, the reasoning was that Leah's workouts had been sitting on my shelf since I bought them years ago, collecting dust, and I was feeling burned out on my routine and therefore curious about her stuff. I felt like what I was doing was backfiring on me, making me just feel crappy and like my clothes weren't fitting how I wanted them to.

Leah's workouts are no joke, intense in their own way, but I felt like they were working me so differently, it was a welcome change I wanted to stick with (and I have!).

Forward to now, months later, and I'm seeing such positive (and unexpected) results! I've recently started to wonder if I'm one of those people who maybe does better with less cardio because of it! This is hard for me to swallow because I LOVE my cardio and my intense workouts, but I can't deny what's happening. I can't explain it, but I can't deny it!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-19, 07:08 PM  
Erica H.

Every time I take time off from exercise or have to modify my workouts to recover from injury or surgery I end up losing weight. As soon as I start working out again, I start gaining...and the more I increase the intensity/duration, the more I gain. It is so frustrating. I want to exercise for health and mental benefits but it's discouraging to gain weight.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-19, 08:15 PM  
bfit

My cardio is still running, walking, or swimming, but I'm doing it a bit longer, and I've cut out the Leslie Sansone, Gilad, etc. aerobics. By a bit longer I mean 1 hour and 15 minutes of running or walking instead of 1 hour, and for swimming 3/4 mile rather than 2/3 mile.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-19, 09:19 AM  
slockhart

I've had weight loss in the past after cutting back on cardio, and then something happens and I'm doing intense cardio 4-5 times a week again! I've been doing Peak 10 workouts over the last few weeks and I'm feeling drained. Reading this thread has made me rethink. I know I was feeling really good when I cut back on cardio and incorporated more barre/high reps. I always found that strange how I would lose weight when cutting out cardio. It really made me realize that nutrition is at least 80% of results! I think with age as well, intense cardio is more harmful than good. Thanks for this thread and for making me rethink! I'm stuck on the cardio train again lol
Stacey
slockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-19, 09:31 AM  
manleym

This post couldn't have come at a better time. I'm just now exploring changing my workouts/routine to less intense cardio/metabolic and incorporating barre/higher reps. For the past two weeks I've been incoporating Leah's Ballet Body workouts (thanks Kittybug for the idea! ). I can't tell a difference yet in how my body looks (still looks the same) but I can feel different muscles being used. I have to admit to a fear of lessening the cardio/intensity. My mind is still telling me that I won't get as good of a workout. I haven't given them up completely so I do get at least 1 or 2 a week. I'm following Kittybug's suggestion and subbing for Leah. My plan is to stick with Leah's BB for 8 weeks to see what happens. I'm so glad ya'll are having success!!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-19, 09:54 AM  
alisoncooks

Reading with interest.

I've always focused my workouts on toning -- and I've always hatehatehated cardio. Yet (!!!) I'm struggling with my current rotation (can't shake the aches/pains), and have been playing with the idea of flipping the switch. Going mostly-cardio for a while (I've never done that!). Maybe good, long walks + short, rehab-based strength daily. Idk - it's interesting when people switch things up and see results!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquatics, less cardio