Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-24-19, 11:46 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Question Weight Lifting vs Body-weight

Hello friends!

What are your thoughts about strength workouts using weights and those that just use body-weight?

I LOVE lifting weights. In fact, the heavier the better although I also enjoy higher rep/lower weight endurance workouts too. But I really love my weights.

I'm also really getting into body-weight workouts that use no equipment. I also think they challenge me more than a weighted workout.

So.......more body-weight, less heavy lifting? Mix in both? I have SO many great workouts and so little time!

I'm currently trying this type of rotation:
Mon: weighted strength
Tues: cardio
Wed: body-weight
Thurs: cardio
Fri: body-weight
(weekends are active with outside stuff)

I'm not really sure what I expect my results to be. Of course to lose some weight, but I guess my goals are to stay strong and flexible.
Just curious to know what everyone thinks.

Thanks!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-19, 01:59 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I like the idea of bodyweight workouts. They seem to challenge your muscles in different ways than using any type of weight. I used to think my body preferred heavy (for me) weight work to build muscle, but the past 6 weeks or so I've done Jari workouts. They are seriously high rep so I can't go very heavy and am finally seeing some muscle.

I want to like bodyweight workouts but rarely see changes in my muscles, plus I sort of feel like they're harder to do--I have to really get the form and everything correct or they don't work. I've been reading the comments on Riptensity and really want to try it!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-19, 02:22 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

KateTT, this is timely as I was sort of just wondering the same thing! I recently pulled out my Leah Sarago's Ballet Body workouts and did the Upper Body one the other day. That particular workout is all body weight in the first half (planks and other torture, ahem, I mean mat work) and in the second half, it uses 2-pound weights that feel like they weigh about a million pounds each by the time you're done.

So here it is, two days later, and I am still so sore it's ridiculous. For example, my lats and even ribs hurt to touch! I don't get this sore normally lifting weights, and in fact, I cannot get that sore in my lats using my 25-pound dumbbells for rows, regardless of the number of reps I do. So what gives?

I'm definitely considering changing up my routine to fit these types of workouts back in...and my plan looks a lot like what you laid out too! You said it best....too many great workouts, too little time!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-19, 02:30 PM  
Vantreesta

I don't know if it's just me, but in my mind bodyweight workouts seem to hit more functional muscle endurance while heavy lifting is more about real strength gains. But I really haven't done much strength work of any type in quite some time so my opinion could change is I was doing more! I like your idea of mixing it up like that, Kate.

It's no wonder I can never stick with a plan...everyone has such great ideas that I want to incorporate too! I need to stop thinking in terms of calendar week rotations.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-19, 02:59 PM  
BunnyHop

I think a mixture of every type is wonderful!

I'm rebuilding my functional strength, and find that the more focused, deliberate whole body movements of body work do seem to provide me with the sort of foundational recovery work I need just now.

In recent years my activity level dropped and I lost a lot of strength, stamina and range of motion. Rebuilding means I have to rebuild everything, even all the tiny muscles that don't their own series of reps in a weight lifting dvd.

And yeah, I have to be careful not to over do it, otherwise I wind up SO SORE.
Old 07-24-19, 03:27 PM  
DCW

Essentrics/Classical Stretch is a body weight program and really has impacted my functional strength and fitness including improving my balance and range of motion. The weight free – arm toning is challenging and makes my arms look great. The thigh thinners clip, the better you get at it the harder it gets.
Video clips

https://essentrics.com/media.html
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-19, 04:00 PM  
prettyinpink

I feel like bodyweight would be plenty for me for upper body. Push-up and plank variations, inverted rows, and my pitiful attempts at chin-up progressions are much more difficult for me than weights.

For lower body, I feel like I need weighted work. And probably plyo too, since there is a limit to the weights I can use at home.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-19, 10:40 PM  
Loriann

KateTT,

This looks like a great rotation to try for a while. What workouts are you planning on using for the body weight days? Inquiring minds want to know!

Lori
Old 07-25-19, 06:54 AM  
Rhonda

KateTT great thread.

I am thinking of doing this:

M - Riptensity
Tues - Peloton bootcamp (treadmill and strength)
W - Riptensity
Th - Peloton Bootcamp
Fr - Riptensity
Sat/Sun - whatever I feel like, usually will do a peloton TM workout or boxing with heavy bag.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-19, 08:22 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Just an observation:

The fit people at my gym who do a lot of body weight work have a nicer physique, to my eye - healthier, natural and more aesthetic than big ripped muscles. To me, anyway.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body weight exercises, body weight workouts, mark lauren