Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-19, 10:41 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manleym View Post
This post couldn't have come at a better time. I'm just now exploring changing my workouts/routine to less intense cardio/metabolic and incorporating barre/higher reps. For the past two weeks I've been incoporating Leah's Ballet Body workouts (thanks Kittybug for the idea! ). I can't tell a difference yet in how my body looks (still looks the same) but I can feel different muscles being used. I have to admit to a fear of lessening the cardio/intensity. My mind is still telling me that I won't get as good of a workout. I haven't given them up completely so I do get at least 1 or 2 a week. I'm following Kittybug's suggestion and subbing for Leah. My plan is to stick with Leah's BB for 8 weeks to see what happens. I'm so glad ya'll are having success!!
Hah, you're welcome!! Keep us posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Reading with interest.

I've always focused my workouts on toning -- and I've always hatehatehated cardio. Yet (!!!) I'm struggling with my current rotation (can't shake the aches/pains), and have been playing with the idea of flipping the switch. Going mostly-cardio for a while (I've never done that!). Maybe good, long walks + short, rehab-based strength daily. Idk - it's interesting when people switch things up and see results!
I've always loved cardio, but many years back I was just burned out on everything, felt exhausted all the time, was sick of hauling out equipment, but loved how yoga made me feel, so I switched to a yoga plus walking only routine. I can't tell you how much better my body felt. AND I liked how I looked...lost weight without even trying because I guess I wasn't ravenously hungry all the time? Who knows. I've been off yoga for more than a year now because of an injury I'm still terrified of re-aggravating, but gosh, sometimes I really miss my yoga/walking days!!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-19, 03:39 PM  
Cowgirl32

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Reading with interest.

I've always focused my workouts on toning -- and I've always hatehatehated cardio. Yet (!!!) I'm struggling with my current rotation (can't shake the aches/pains), and have been playing with the idea of flipping the switch. Going mostly-cardio for a while (I've never done that!). Maybe good, long walks + short, rehab-based strength daily. Idk - it's interesting when people switch things up and see results!
I think it has more to do with switching things up than one being better than the other. At least this is my experience.
Old 09-27-19, 03:45 PM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
My cardio is still running, walking, or swimming, but I'm doing it a bit longer, and I've cut out the Leslie Sansone, Gilad, etc. aerobics. By a bit longer I mean 1 hour and 15 minutes of running or walking instead of 1 hour, and for swimming 3/4 mile rather than 2/3 mile.
How many times a week are you walking or running? Just curious, because an hour or more of walking or running or any other form of cardio is more than I ever do at one time (or sometimes even in a week).

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-19, 04:14 PM  
marki64

Balance is good. I believe in incorporating it all, instead of one form of exercise over another. Lately, I have found that more intense cardio and less carbs, has really flattened my stomach.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-19, 10:15 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl32 View Post
I think it has more to do with switching things up than one being better than the other. At least this is my experience.
I was going to post this same thing. I do think we get in a rut doing the same type of workout for extended periods and our bodies adapt. Change is good!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-19, 11:13 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Off topic here, but cataddict, every time I see your avatar, I just crack up!! What a beauty of a cat (and very opinionated, is my guess!!)!
Old 09-29-19, 11:33 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
Off topic here, but cataddict, every time I see your avatar, I just crack up!! What a beauty of a cat (and very opinionated, is my guess!!)!
Thanks, he really is a beauty. And a rescue, I might add. I was extremely lucky to get this picture, mid yawn! He is really a mellow guy, as Maine Coons tend to be. He doesn't get worked up about anything, that's why the pic is so funny to me--it looks like he is yelling when that just hasn't happened ever and he's 12!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-19, 11:57 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Thanks, he really is a beauty. And a rescue, I might add. I was extremely lucky to get this picture, mid yawn! He is really a mellow guy, as Maine Coons tend to be. He doesn't get worked up about anything, that's why the pic is so funny to me--it looks like he is yelling when that just hasn't happened ever and he's 12!
Hah!! I thought he was a Maine Coon....I have one too who adopted me when he was a stray kitten ten years ago! He wasn't mellow then but he has certainly mellowed out more now...although he has been quite worked up about the feral kittens my husband saved and brought home recently, sigh. They're not feral now but they have brought chaos into the house, and my Coon being the oldest adult cat does not appreciate them!
Old 09-30-19, 09:11 AM  
Exercise Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl32 View Post
I agree with this. I just recently went the other direction and really ramped up the intensity of my cardio. I'm still rebounding but the Bounce Society workouts I'm doing are a different level entirely from what I was doing prior. I'm only doing their workouts twice a week and maintaining my original rotation on the other days of the week, and my pants are finally beginning to fit better (after a summer of feeling like nothing fit me well). Sure I'm burning more calories during those intense sessions, but given it's only two days a week I'm working out like this, I'm beginning to think my body is liking the change in routine more than anything, and that's causing the slim-down effect.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquatics, less cardio