Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-25-18, 08:44 AM  
Exercise Diva

Kettlebell Question

I've been increasing my kettlebell workouts lately (for strength and cardio) and adding in Callanetics and Essentrics as time permits. My strength has been improving nicely and I'm able to swing my heavier 22 and 26 lb bells without having to stop as much to catch my breath. I was even thinking of getting into double bells (have a pair of 18s). The increased strength part has been a positive. The negative is that I'm starting to feel pain in my wrist and my shoulder (the shoulder particularly worries me because my upper body has never been an issue for me injury wise and I don't want to start now). I'm thinking of dropping the KB weight back to 18 lbs and keeping to that, even for moves that call for heavier KBs. My question is: Does anyone else keep their KB weight pretty light and have your results been good? It's so easy to get caught up in the heavier is better, especially with KBs. You're almost left believing that you have to start as heavy as you can and progress from there, but I'm not sure that's always the right mindset. I have to say that I haven't noticed much difference, other than strength gains, from lifting heavier bells. Not saying that increased strength isn't important but my physique hasn't changed much from this - for better or worse. Would love to hear from those of you who use KBs on a regular basis. Thanks. Joan
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-18, 09:59 AM  
violingal3

I'm sorry to hear about your wrist and shoulder pain - no advice other than listen to your body, we're not competing with anyone here!

Well, my experience is coming from a very different fitness journey than yours at the moment, but I've taken it down a notch with kb poundage. I have plenty of heavier, more traditional kb workouts, but Brook Benton's Kettlebell Butts & Guts (kind of considered a "kb lite" workout around here I guess) has been a staple in my routine the past 6 months. I'm pregnant and it's been the only low impact cardio/strength workout I've been able to do without modifying a whole lot. Regularly, a 20 lb kb was my go to for this workout, but as my body changes I've dropped to 15 lbs (and even 10 lbs when I feel like it).

For me it's been the consistency and not the poundage (2-4 times a week with this dang workout, I'm getting sick of it, but like I said, it's one of the few workouts I can still do!). I haven't lost strength or muscle definition...upper body is still looking good and honestly my butt and legs probably look better than before my pregnancy just because I've been so consistent with this kb workout.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-18, 11:29 AM  
Exercise Diva

Thanks Violingal3 and congratulations on your pregnancy! That was what I was hoping to hear. I'll drop the poundage and not worry too much about losing the gains I've made. As I said, I loved the increased strength but it's not worth it if it puts me out of the game altogether.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-18, 12:49 PM  
aliskina

Skogg has been recommending lighter KB for more cardio effect in his original DVD
aliskina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-18, 01:36 PM  
starbelly

I have dislocated my shoulder in the past (not with kettlebells!) and have hypermobile joints which made work with heavy weights too risky for me to pursue in spite of how enjoyable it can be. Using double kettlebells is one option as is shifting to more metabolic workouts like Lauren Brooks's Ultimate Body Sculpt and Conditioning vol. 1 (she has frequent sales, so don't let the price put you off) or Paul Katami's Kettlebell Kombos. Ilaria's first Atletica (out of print, but likely available somewhere) uses dumbbells, but I have done it with kettlebells.

A study from McMaster University found that lifting lighter weights can be just as effective as heavier weights for strength gains provided that the muscle is fatigued. You could also alternate heavy and light days to minimize joint stress.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-18, 02:55 PM  
neatski

Longish-time kettlebell user here- I think I started about 8-10 years ago. I use them multiple times a week, and have 80, 56, 44, 35 and 25 lb bells. My only problem was snatches, so I stopped doing them completely. I'm pretty sure I tore my rotator cuff at one point about 3-4 years ago, and I'm not exactly sure when but I think it was doing snatches. I was very careful about form, but I was using pretty heavy weights to do them and I must have gotten sloppy. It took a long time to heal. I do overhead presses, pushups, Turkish getups, windmills, swings, cleans, all sorts of lower body stuff with the kettlebells in rack or goblet position, etc. and have zero problems now, even with my heavier bells. I think that snatches are the riskiest of the bunch because of the dynamic, overhead nature and I've been able to maintain good fitness/strength/aesthetics/whatever without them. I've never had even the slightest twinge from using the heavy bells for anything else.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote