Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-30-20, 11:25 PM  
Helen

Every Day in OCTOBER - only 3 months of 2020 remain. Make them the BEST 3!!

Welcome to the Every Day Checkin!
We are a small group who aim to do some form of physical activity every day, whatever that means for YOU (but don't kid yourself about it either)

Only 3 months of this troublesome year remain. We WILL make these last 3, the BEST!

NEWCOMERS, RETURNERS, LURKERS,... might as well say:

EVERYONE
is WELCOME!

Daily posts - not mandatory, nor even "sternly preferred" - but we love it if you do.
Weekly posts, drive-by notes, daily essays all about you.... any of those are perfectly fine - no pressure, EXCEPT to diligently try to add serious movement to your day - every day.

Lexicon:
WERD = Well Earned Rest Day, but even rest days can include movement
TERD = Totally Expected Rest Day, though not especially well-earned, like a planned happy event
TURD = Totally Unexpected Rest Day, hopefully also a happy event
HERD = of TURDS - usually declared after the THIRD TURD in a row. Try to avoid these at all costs, as they can move in & get comfortable, getting OUT of your comfort zone is the way to make change happen
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-20, 05:03 AM  
Helen

Thu., 1st Oct.
58min, Cathe - Interval Max, 6"
Not a stellar effort, but done with jumps. Did NOT do the last interval as intended.
Just did plyo jacks the whole time. She does 2 plyo jacks, then an air jack, then a tuck jump - I'd had it by then & the landing from a tuck jump..... nope, not risking the knee just when it's starting to feel like the end of damage control is in sight.

Also quite a bit of weeding & walking Alice.

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 10-01-20, 05:31 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Thank you for another brilliant start of the month thread, Helen! Very inspiring! Glad your knee is feeling better, good idea not to push it too much.

10/1 - Turbo Jam 3T, Totally Tubular Turbo. I found this at Goodwill today and decided to try it. Not a bad strength workout using tubing, but with weight options shown.
14 minute walk with Reps to the Rhythm guy on YT.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-20, 06:01 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Need my arrow for October

I'm on a daily countdown on another group. . . .92 days and counting.
I'm over the hurdle and thrilled that "every day in 2020" is going to be real. Hasn't happened in years. Onward I trek!

Helen: Thanks for getting us started. So glad you modified a bit erring on the side of caution with your knee. That takes great willpower. Good on ya. As Charlene would say!

Lili: nice to "see you". I think I have that dvd ... hmmm. (what dvd don't I have?)

Goals for October? Row the English Channel (my app tells me already I'm behind! OH NO .....) read a little more, get back on my straight and narrow and make it a great October.

Started with:

10/1/2020: Power zone MAX 45 minutes .. Yep! Just what it sounds like. Tabata Power Zone style. This is week 7 and there are 3 tough rides. One down, 2 to go. I got this. Did a 5 minute cool down ride, PRS

I think the new one has been announced. I think it's only 6 weeks (probably cuz it goes into the holidays? - not sure, have to go read.)

Ok, I have my arrow. Waves to all. Till tomorrow.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-20, 07:21 PM  
Helen

Good morning! I'm just here confirming that I'm reading posts morning & night.

It's going to pour down at the farm right when I had intended to go, so instead of Tuesday we'll be going tomorrow. Don't THINK you'll notice much - apart from possible TERDs on travel days (6 hrs drive-time).

CLEDA
Every Day of the YEAR?! I'm AM blown away again.

LILI
Yes, I have 3T as well. Have done it once, in 2013.
I really don't get my money's worth from workouts.

WAVES FOR PAM, KAY and any newbies/returners/lurkers looking to join!
Lots of motivation going on around here - JOIN us!!

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 10-02-20, 06:36 PM  
Helen

Good morning! (Sat)

Last night, after weeding & house cleaning all day, had it not been for Cleda's every day in the YEAR, I'd not have done:
Fri., 2nd Oct.
56min, Les Mills Body Balance 35

Checking in with morning coffee before packing the car to leave for the farm.
Have a lovely weekend!

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 10-03-20, 05:58 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Posting for Helen!

Helen: Safe travels to the farm. I forget if you check in from there or not. But I want a post here for if you do! Please remember that my "Every day in 2020" also includes the occasional day with meditation (but I do have other days where I do double and triple workouts!) ... so they all count in my book. I am doing something. I was determined to make 2020 my year to get it together. I had no idea what 2020 had in store for me. I'm starting to lose my Mojo, so I need to be accountable and get busy. So you can help me get through these last 90 days!!!

Waves to Lili, Pam and Kay ..... and everyone else who may be reading.

10/2/2020: Rowed 5500 meters **, Power Zone 45 minutes with Matt (endurance), 5 minute post ride stretch (grateful dead with Denis), PRS, Barre 20 minute workout and 5 minute barre cool down.

Not sure what's on the docket today (a ride of course)
I did read and the new challenge will in fact, be 6 weeks. It will take me to 12/20. I need to do it as at least it keeps me focused.

I am so ignorant with kilometers and meters. (I'm sure Helen is chuckling at this one.) I thought I had it figured out for crossing the English Channel. Well, NOPE ... so I have edited my goal to last until 12/31/2020 and I'll see where I'm at. That or I need to take out the red marker that says I'm behind schedule. I dunno. I'm rowing, that's good. I have a year to technically do it (before the subscription runs out). lol ... So Maybe I'll go back to a day(s) goal for the month with the distance a second measure. Hmmm. Something to think about. And the path I've chosen may not even be realistic, it's just from one city to another. I marked two way points and off I've gone. So willy nilly!

The barre classes are for a badge. I like some of the moves. But not all. I like leg work on the floor (think fire hydrants and leg raises), but some of the standing stuff is not my cup of tea. I'd rather go back to traditionally weights. But at any rate. . I have 2 more classes to earn the badge (and I think 3 days to get them done) I will get them done! I do like that about Peloton, because without the badge dangling before me? I would never have tried the barre classes. At least not six of them!

Ok, gotta go hit the grocery store. It's been quite some time.
Make it a great day.
Cleda
Old 10-03-20, 09:00 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Cleda - I have yet to try any more barre classes, even though I liked the one I did. I almost signed up for the challenge, but decided against it. DD is trying to buy a used Peloton bike and we had a lengthy discussion yesterday about the app. She has been using the 90 day free trial and likes it.
Helen - I hope you are having a safe trip to the farm. Check in when you can!
Waves to Pam & Kay!

10/2 - I had a terrible night's sleep and no nap, so just a dog walk and a 10 min. Meditation.
10/3 - a dog walk and 10 Minute Solution Fitness Ball Workouts with Kimberly Spreen.

I've been thinking about goals for October. I was reading on GD about workouts using the stability ball, and started pulling out what I had. I also bought one at Goodwill. That is why I often avoid GD, it sends me in too many directions!

Right now I will aim for 15 virgin/dustbunny workouts for the month, and a weekly goal of 1 ball workout, 1 rebounder w/o, 2 spinning and 1 running or walk/run.

2/15 virgins/dustbunnies

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt

Last edited by LiliMagill; 10-03-20 at 03:49 PM. Reason: add today's workout
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-20, 04:21 AM  
Helen

Here I am!
Arrived last night (Sat), 8 hrs after I left. Lots of stops for Alice.
Was just setting up to do something and discovered that my little laptop doesn't have a DVD player app in it. Brought a portable external DVD slot, but the laptop can't play it. Currently seeing what I can do.
Failing that, it'll be YouTube. Plenty there.

LILI
Sorry you had a bad night's sleep. Do you know why?
Nice goals for the month!

CLEDA
I'm actually relieved that some of your "every day" things included meditation. It was a much higher bar of activity otherwise - and frankly, quite daunting. I did a meditation today - Deepak Chopra.

So Saturday was driving.
Sunday today, Spring Forward into daylight savings.
Had a long walk with DH & Alice, but need to get back to sorting a player OR doing something on YouTube so that today isn't ONLY that walk!

Alice is asleep & very tired - been an exciting day to discover that the farm is like living IN the park!

HI PAM & KAY
waves....
shall ETA if/when I get something sorted.

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 10-04-20, 07:17 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

So I was curious ...

I went back to check how often I did meditation and only meditation:

Jan: none
Feb: 1x
March: none
April: 2x
May: 2x
June: 1x
July: none
Aug: 1x
Sept: 1x

I'll take it!!! I love this group. Otherwise? I never would have looked back through my log to check and see. So thank you! I am very proud of my (full) 2020 log. and I will continue.

Yes! there is a plethora of workouts on You Tube as long as you have reception and can use it. I am always FLOORED not only by the great workouts on there, but the FULL length videos (of many of the old CIAs and other things) that I only have on VHS tape. Ahhhmazing how times have changed. You will be fine!!!

Our time doesn't change until the end of October.

Lili: if I didn't want the badge for my dashboard, I would NOT have signed up for the challenge. I still have 2 classes to go. I'm just grateful that ALL classes count, so I could (technically?) do a warm up and cool down and earn the badge. Of course, in my mind that would be cheating, but still. Glad you mentioned this though, cuz I just looked and I have to do the last classes TODAY for it to count. I thought I had till tomorrow. Yowsa. . . Guess I know what I"m doing after my ride with Nancy! There should be a lot of used Pelotons available right now or in a month or two as many people are upgrading to the new Peloton+ bike. (I am not) so they are selling them for more than the $700 trade in that Peloton would allow for the new one. I think it's a matter of time before Peloton goes into the "refurbished" business?!? Just my thoughts. But MANY people are selling them. (they are also getting premium prices for them too ... Hope she finds a good deal). As far as the Peloton app? There is so much content on there, I hardly have any time for any other workouts. Between bootcamps, strength, the bike, the tread, etc, etc. . . Well worth the price if you ask me.

ok, on to me, me and all me as I have to get to exercising.

10/3/2020: Power zone 45 minutes with Denis, PZ 30 mins. with Matt, Cool down with Sam Yo (Big Pink Elephants named Nellie) 2 Post Ride Stretches, Ben Aldis 20 minute total body strength.

That's a wrap. I'm off to the bike.
Waves to all!!!
Cleda