Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-01-20, 11:53 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Lightbulb *Ongoing Self-Care Challenge: 2020 and Beyond*

Because self-care should be ongoing!

Share ideas, tips, practices and products that bring you peace, calmness and joy in trying times. (This also includes funny and/or uplifting movies, books and TV shows that bring cheer.)

What works for you and what doesn't?

Do tell!!!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-20, 12:13 PM  
Vantreesta

Thanks for starting the check in, Alta!

Happy September! Even when it's warm out now I can feel the difference btwn summer and fall warmth and I am happy it's finally cooling off. I think I will try to start each day this month by posting a positive like this. My mom used to post a positive thought or quote on Facebook every night before bed. She said she wanted her FB friends to always see smthg positive first thing in the morning, a bright spot in all the negative stuff posted and the news. She did this until the end, no matter how hard her day may have been. If only I could be even half as positive, generous and friendly as she was....

I've been feeling really anxious the last few days. We spent the wknd with my father-in-law and then yesterday I was on the road for 6 hours total in order to spend a couple hours with my dad. I need to get back to my routine. Self care really suffers when I'm not at home.

I did do PT and picked back up with the DoYouYoga challenge this morning, so I'm feeling good about that.

Mindfulness. Planning. Commitment. Discipline. I'm focusing on these words and actions this month.

Special touches: brown sugar vanilla lotion, tree ring, apple candle and classical music
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-20, 02:00 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Marking my spot.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-20, 05:12 PM  
DCW

Before Covid 19, I bought too many spray linen fresheners. Now that my shopping is extremely limited, I am glad I have a good variety. My favorite is lavender. I spray my sheets and pillow before I get in the bed. It's now part of my bed time routine.

I also turned down the sheets.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-20, 05:37 PM  
Vantreesta

DCW, I love that idea! It sounds so lovely. I would love to try it except hubby doesn't like scents. The best I get is clean sheet day!

Forgot to add that while my phone read my Bible chapters to me this morning I colored in a kids' Halloween coloring book. It was relaxing.

Decided no more classical music during the day. I got so sleepy I ended up taking a nap. Oops. Think I better go for smthg with lyrics!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 09-02-20, 01:11 PM  
Vantreesta

Today I'm thankful for the warm comfortable smell of Cyric's soft coat and the way he wraps his paws around my forearms for our mind meld and the way he runs to me for attention whenever I sit down.

Special touches: cotton blossom lotion, turtle earrings, still wearing my tree ring, love spell candle that my aunt made

Old 09-02-20, 08:42 PM  
DCW

I decided to watch a PBS show on horses.

I have decided to limit my exposure to anxiety tv that is not conducive to a restful night. I also saw a clip about Mister Rogers. He was telling children when you see scary television, you can do something and turn off the TV. Works for me.

Lavender spray for my bed tonight and lavender lotion.
Old 09-02-20, 09:39 PM  
Vantreesta

DCW, it's funny you should say that about scary TV. I was just discussing trouble sleeping with my aunt today bc she just lies there awake worrying. We talked about things to do before bed and I said horror movies relax my mind of real life worries!

Old 09-03-20, 09:20 PM  
DCW

Today I decided to end the day with peppermint tea and using my "good" china teacup.
Old 09-04-20, 07:09 AM  
Vantreesta

Wrote part of this last night but forgot to finish and post!

Today I'm thankful for cooler weather and music. I actually started our morning walk with sleeves on due to 22 mph winds but ended up taking them off and still sweating buckets. Bc it was so windy I decided to skip the podcasts and listened to Halloween Party Radio on Pandora, one of my most listened to stations. Even though I was outside and had earbuds in I sang out loud some and when Cyric took breaks I actually let myself dance and look silly. I forget how good that feels! When a purple Z28 drove by everything combined to make me feel about 20 years younger! Then I realized I couldn't call my mom and tell her that and share the joy and started to come down off the high but then I knew she was most likely saying: girl, I see you, I know what you're thinking and feeling and you just hold onto it and find some joy in every day you have!

Tags
coping with adversity, meditation, self-care